Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast

Thread: Dominican Immigration has extended the stay for tourist

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by william webster View Post
    Perhaps the mistake was applying for 2 residencies -
    when 1 residency with a dependent was the proper route

That's waht lifeisgreat is saying

Perhaps, but if you consider it from their viewpoint.......wife dies, husband does not have $1500 pension (not sure how Canada works, in USA when a spouse dies the survivor can claim their pension if it’s higher than theirs.....as a substitute, not in addition to)

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I doubt the gov't has a viewpoint...

3. Likes Buzzard liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aname4me View Post
    When traveling.... there are a few differences between Canadian Snowbirds and Dominicans

The Canadian Snowbird want to visit the DR and stay 30 to 180 days. (Relax and avoid Winter)
    -They arrive with money. They spend money.
    -They arrive with Medical Insurance. If they get really sick, they will desperately try to get the next flight home to use the FREE Canadian Medical System.
    -In 30 to 180 days they WILL GO HOME ! By this time, they are dreaming of their Home and it's comforts.

The Dominican only wants to visit Canada (but really dreams of staying forever)
    -The Dominican has NO money. They will leach off someone or try to get a job.
    -They have NO Medical Insurance. They do not qualify for the Canadian Medical System.
    -In 30 to 180 days they WILL NOT GO HOME ! They will do anything to stay.
    Im Dominican, I travel to Canada, Always travel with Medical insurance in case I get sick, never stayed more than 12 days Maximum, so I never think about not coming back home. I Dont have money but I save for my vacations, So not all Dominicans travel to Canada under the same conditions, Just like those thousands of poor Canadians that save whole year to pay a week in All inclusive in Punta Cana, Puerto Plata o Samana.

Every country has diferent rules, even Canadian come with tons of money if they stay more than 30 days and come under the 10.00 dollars turist card are braking rules. Brake rules here and brake rules in canada is the same even here do not enforce about it when returning, is braking the permit days allowed to stay. Thats the point that really matter.

5. Likes Aguaita29, Caonabo, AlterEgo, alexw, windeguy liked this post
    Dislikes Garyexpat disliked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a 1st World vs 3rd World thing.

To get a MasterCard/VISA in the 1st World, it reads....

Have a minimum personal income of $80,000 or minimum household income of $150,000 or minimum total investable assets of $400,000.

In the 3rd World it just says....

Must have Income of $3,000.

And when you arrive in the 3rd World Country they have a different interpretation of the first (vague) statement..

Sadly... the DR is full of vague, poorly thought out Statements, and Different Interpretation of them.

Very Frustration!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Have a minimum personal income of $80,000 or minimum household income of $150,000 or minimum total investable assets of $400,000.

And when you arrive in the 3rd World Country they have a different interpretation of the first (vague) statement..

Sadly... the DR is full of vague, poorly thought out Statements, and Different Interpretation of them.

Very Frustration!
    Them maybe its time for snowbirds to go and stay in Florida, same 1st world like Canada and not poor so they will feel like home. and not problem if they stay for 6 months.

8. Likes Caonabo, Hector L liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

When traveling.... there are a few differences between Canadian Snowbirds and Dominicans

The Canadian Snowbird want to visit the DR and stay 30 to 180 days. (Relax and avoid Winter)
    -They arrive with Medical Insurance. If they get really sick, they will desperately try to get the next flight home to use the FREE Canadian Medical System.
    -In 30 to 180 days they WILL GO HOME ! By this time, they are dreaming of their Home and it's comforts.

-They have NO Medical Insurance. They do not qualify for the Canadian Medical System.
    Correct. I wanted to visited Canada, and have.
    Incorrect. I never desired to stay there forever.
    Incorrect. There are Dominicans with money.
    Incorrect. I have never leached off anybody, nor tried to look for work in Canada. I can though tell you some tales about Canadians in RD and some other locales.
    Incorrect. There are Dominicans with medical insurance.
    Possibly Correct. I do not know the intricacies of the Canadian medical system qualifications. Haitians do seem to like it though.
    Incorrect. As stated above, I have had no desire to say in Canada any longer than necessary to fulfill the purposes of my excursion. Personal or business.
    Incorrect. There are much lovelier locales to wish to escape to and stay illegally. Just look at how many Canadians stay in RD past day 30.
    If you are going to make broad assumptions, at least make an attempt to try and be correct with them.

10. Likes bienamor, jstarebel, windeguy liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Very Frustration!
    This is one bizarre analogy, and unfortunately once again.....off the mark.

Moderator parum momenti
    Post Thanks / Like

This country doesn't seem to be set up to handle snowbirds.

It's difficult to open a bank account
    The major telephone/cable/internet/electricity providers really don't like and most do not offer short term service contracts
    The govt is deathly afraid of foreigners running up debt and not paying it-everyone but short stay tourists need guarantors/verifiable guaranteed income
    The longer foreigners stay the more services they will need and use
    Govt doesn't like having to pay to deport people. Residents need insurance, snowbirds won't have it when they arrive

The Dominican Republic has not and does not see long stay tourists as something they want to be involved it. Too much would need to change far too quickly to make legal snowbirds a reality in this country.

It can be done, there just is no will to do it at the moment.

13. Likes Hector L, windeguy liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm Dominican I've spent thousands of dollars in Canada, the US and Europe for tourism purposes. I was recently in the UK, on vacation and that wasn't cheap; and yes, I had insurance too.

Many Dominicans travel and, believe it or not spend money in your countries. You shouldn't make these generalizations. I could also make not very nice generalizations about gringos, but I won't….….for now!

15. Likes Riva_31, Caonabo, bienamor, AnnaC, jstarebel and 6 others liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the DR no longer wishes to have snowbirds for the winter.  Maybe Ecuador?

Page 46 of 51 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 ... LastLast