Best beaches for children

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
So we are looking into visiting again this year. 

Planning summer of 2018.

However, while I enjoy hanging out with my Dominican family I also want to spend at least a week on the beach with the kids.

So I am looking for recommendations on the best beaches for kids.

1. Shallow water
2. Sun and shade a plenty
3. No adult entertainment (which is why Boca Chica and Sosua are out)

So far I have:

Playa Rogelio
Playa Calleton

Any other suggestions?

CRL2017

Apr 25, 2017
So we are looking into visiting again this year. 

Planning summer of 2018.

However, while I enjoy hanging out with my Dominican family I also want to spend at least a week on the beach with the kids.

So I am looking for recommendations on the best beaches for kids.

1. Shallow water
2. Sun and shade a plenty
3. No adult entertainment (which is why Boca Chica and Sosua are out)

So far I have:

Playa Rogelio
Playa Calleton

Any other suggestions?

Are you looking to stay close to Santo Domingo? I went with my son to Las Terrenas last summer and had an awesome time. Rented a place through Air BnB. The beaches were walking distance from my apartment. I am a city girl (NYC) - grew up in Brooklyn and felt safe walking around alone to and from in Las Terrenas with my 6 year old. The beach of Las Ballenas was amazing, clean, shallow water and had a lovely outdoor bar/restaurant across from the beach. There are palm trees for shade, etc. The strip of beach from the center of Las Terrenas mini downtown toward Las Ballenas was very kid friendly and had bar/restaurants on the beach close by. I have family in SD so I would see them on the weekends and then went to LT for a two week period of time, my cousins drove up one weekend and stayed in another place. I drove and it was about a 2.5 hour drive one way.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Certainly Caleton fits the bill....and Las Terrenas has shallow walk-ins with calm water usually

LT will offer more accommodation, IMO and variety - depending on the childrens' ages

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I doubt you will find a better spot than Playa Caleton. Just don't go on a weekend or holiday.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
e9f0021717eeb2c389777190155f3783.jpg

6d5c664e4c6792f81f236b036eb4ccb8.jpg

I really like caleton for the day. Bring snorkeling gear and you might see some cool stuff. Saw an eel last time. Swim over to the small beach on the left (right side of the photos) and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Can anyone explain the concrete heads???

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
One more thing about Caleton. Ask for Tony and he will set you up with whatever you need. Chairs, table, fresh fish, shrimp, and lobster. He has been there for over 20 years.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
To me... Caleton is way more local...

During the week, Diamonte is EMPTY ...

nice place for a family looking for quiet

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Playa Ensenada is great for young kids.  About a two hour drive from Cabarete towards Punta Rucia.

The water is shallow, in fact it's around knee height for a good couple of hundred meters out.  Plenty of shady trees and lots of restaurants serving right on the beach.  Like most popular beaches here, don't go on Sundays.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Everyone, thank you for the input so far.

Here'a bit more info.

1. The kids are 6 and 8 but have completed the 3 levels of swimming proficiency and are good swimmers. Still I'd like the waters kneedeep :)

2. We've been going to Caleton for more than 10 years now, same with Rogelio, Ensenada (thanks Hillbilly) and Diamante. So I was looking for a change of pace so to speak. A lot of family come to those beaches (except Punta Rusia) so it's not going to be quiet for us :)

3. Diamante is very nice but very quiet... last time we were there during the week (summer of 2016) it was a few cows, some stray dogs and my family... it is indeed perfect on other fronts :)

4. Las Terrenas is also very nice. I'm leaning towards revisiting there. An appartment on the waterfront, French croissants and coffee in the morning... yes it does remind me a bit of the Riviera.. However, if my memory serves me right the water is not very shallow (same as El Rincon a bit further down the peninsula).

5. Does anyone know if the small two hut hotel on the beach Las Piratas between Caleton and Rio San Juan is still in operation? I believe the original owner was killed in a car crash about two/three years ago..

6. Punta Rusia is out since we had to put the owner of the Ecolodge in jail in POP when he loaned my 4x4 without my approval to pick up his sister in Santiago and wrecked it and never paid the damages... he got the surpise of a lifetime when the DA put him away after we arrived in POP and he found out that blood runs thicker than water.. too bad really since we enjoyed the lodge..

I guess I am just looking for some relaxing time away from where everybody knows us..

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Maybe check out Cadaques in Dominicus (next to Bayahibe). We stayed there and loved it, I have the # of an owner of a two bedroom apartment there.  Beach is nice, several pools, including one with water slides.   You won’t regret it

https://en.wearebayahibe.com/

In addition to the place we stayed, there are many on Airbnb 

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Maybe check out Cadaques in Dominicus (next to Bayahibe). We stayed there and loved it, I have the # of an owner of a two bedroom apartment there.  Beach is nice, several pools, including one with water slides.   You won’t regret it

https://en.wearebayahibe.com/

In addition to the place we stayed, there are many on Airbnb 

Thank you.

Exactly the kind of thing we are looking for. Unfortunately booked solid :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Dutchie

Yes, Los Pirates is open ... wendy is the manger.

Paraiso... is the name now....google it
Cdn owner... very friendly service

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Everyone, thank you for the input so far.

Here'a bit more info.

4. Las Terrenas is also very nice. I'm leaning towards revisiting there. An appartment on the waterfront, French croissants and coffee in the morning... yes it does remind me a bit of the Riviera.. However, if my memory serves me right the water is not very shallow (same as El Rincon a bit further down the peninsula).

I guess I am just looking for some relaxing time away from where everybody knows us..

http://www.aic-dominican-real-estate.com/rentals/holidays/apartments.html

Give Jacques a call and ask him they have availability at Bonita Village which is at the far end of Playa Las Ballenas where the water is protected from wave action and gently sloping and the beach is wide.

The opening photograph on their website for rentals apartments is Bonita Village pool. Stayed there.