plaza lama coming to town?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there is a rumour that plaza lama may be coming to puerto plata. location is said to be a big lot currently being cleaned up in the city centre, on manolo tavarez justo, right at the semaforos of puente seco. next door to francis muebles, basically. there were few smaller buildings in that spot that are gradually being taken apart.
anyone else heard about this?

Jan 17, 2009
<< All I want is Pricesmart!!! >>  That would be a dream come true !!  But I don't see it happening.  Not too many locals could afford a membership.

ohmmmm

Bronze
Jun 11, 2010
I would like to see PriceMart as well. A PriceMart offers so much more different stuff with assured good quality. But Plaza Lama? Nothing wrong with Plaza Lama. But, is there enough business to go around for three of these big stores to exist (LaSerena, Jumbo and Plaza Lama)?

I would probably not eat there a lot, but once in a while I wish there was a Wendy's or a McDonald's on the North Coast.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
there is a rumour that plaza lama may be coming to puerto plata. location is said to be a big lot currently being cleaned up in the city centre, on manolo tavarez justo, right at the semaforos of puente seco. next door to francis muebles, basically. there were few smaller buildings in that spot that are gradually being taken apart.
anyone else heard about this?

This was something my FIL told us a few weeks ago. Usually he's a very serious guy and doesn't really go around just spreading everything he hears... I'm just thinking if they will build to where this rumor says, it will be yet another traffic chaos in POP. That semaforo is already pretty busy, and if you add to that the issues with flooding on the main street when it rains a bit more, it will be interesting...

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Wish we had a proper mall in Puerto Plata. There are over 500,000 people living in the province of Puerto Plata and over 200,000 in the Valverde province and these statistics were taken from the 2012 census so the populations would be higher by now. With a combined population of just these two provinces it should in theory merit a proper shopping mall. The province of La Altagracia has less than 400,000 people but has nice shopping malls. Yes, the tourism is higher there but I think that the malls tend to depend on residents more than tourists.....just my opinion but I think it is time we had one here. I agree josh2203 about the traffic disaster. The government have paid vast amounts of money to beautify the center of Puerto Plata and if this rumor is true then this can potentially affect the tourists that visit the center due to potential transit issues.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Wish we had a proper mall in Puerto Plata. There are over 500,000 people living in the province of Puerto Plata and over 200,000 in the Valverde province and these statistics were taken from the 2012 census so the populations would be higher by now. With a combined population of just these two provinces it should in theory merit a proper shopping mall. The province of La Altagracia has less than 400,000 people but has nice shopping malls. Yes, the tourism is higher there but I think that the malls tend to depend on residents more than tourists.....just my opinion but I think it is time we had one here. I agree josh2203 about the traffic disaster. The government have paid vast amounts of money to beautify the center of Puerto Plata and if this rumor is true then this can potentially affect the tourists that visit the center due to potential transit issues.

In the rest of the world, shopping malls are becoming a thing of the past, going the way of the dodo and dinosaurs. Not sure if that would be a good idea to create a mall that becomes a mall of the living dead.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
The government have paid vast amounts of money to beautify the center of Puerto Plata and if this rumor is true then this can potentially affect the tourists that visit the center due to potential transit issues.

Just yesterday, after the rain, we drove through the whole Calle Beller, the street that was just recently paved and they also put these metallic poles to allow proper sidewalks on both sides. Half the street was covered in trash, and I fail to see on what particular stretch, what is there to see for tourists for these sidewalks to be used. On many streets in the remodeled city center, they have made the sidewalks really wide with the same poles, but rather than these being used by massive amounts of tourists, these mostly (the times I've witnessed something) are used by motoconchos during traffic jams, so any pedestrians cannot even use these safely... They just take a huge amount of parking space away from the main streets in the city center, with no apparent other purpose... They look really nice when not filled with motoconchos, I actually like the look of these sidewalks, I just wish that there was something everywhere why tourists would go there, and the streets would be equipped with proper drainage and these abandoned, ugly buildings on part of the Beller demolished. That I would call a beautiful and attractive city center.

Back to the topic, I don't mind if Plaza Lama decides to build here, more competition, and of Jose Luis I'm not concerned, it will never lose it's clientele (my opinion), but I just wish traffic issues will be addressed as well. The main street is already congested in that intersection, so if a shopping center will appear here, nothing good can come out of that without proper planning. Nobody can enter nor exit the parking lot in the worst hours...