Miches Club Med is Coming

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
It was just a matter of time. Uvero Alto is pretty much owned by hotels. If you like Macao beach you should visit it soon. Construction is supposed to start there late this year or early 2019.
That's to bad as it's one of the DR's nicest beaches

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
It was just a matter of time. Uvero Alto is pretty much owned by hotels. If you like Macao beach you should visit it soon. Construction is supposed to start there late this year or early 2019.
That's to bad as it's one of the DR's nicest beaches

Just like all beaches on the East Coast, it is quite exposed to the tradewinds. We spent time on Esmeralda on a calmer day and it was lovely to swim with a gently sloping beach, so great for swimming and empty. The far eastern end is to a degree protected by the headland.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Are they planning a big hotel?

93 acre site with 327 rooms and the so called 5 Trident level.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...lection-resort-in-the-americas-300642835.html

Club Med used to be fun back in the 80's and 90's but it now just another sanitized version of AI with an emphasis on sporting and such activities.

Originally they deliberately made the rooms so small...and you shared and not knowing with whom.....such that you would spend little time in those rooms.

And to add, now Chinese owned......Forsun Group.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Just like all beaches on the East Coast, it is quite exposed to the tradewinds. We spent time on Esmeralda on a calmer day and it was lovely to swim with a gently sloping beach, so great for swimming and empty. The far eastern end is to a degree protected by the headland.

The good thing about the new developments in Miches that will be diferent than the Punta Cana area is that will be eco friendly, in the area there are 2 lagoon that are protected areas and will have something diferent that you can not find in Punta Cana.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

Whatever happened to the Four Seasons.  Remember?

The last we heard was that there was a cloud hanging over the whole Cisneros Tropicalia development with a court decision going against them in late 2017 and Four Seasons was part of that development.

No mention of Club Med being linked to them in any news release.

Club Aldiana who are redeveloping a resort in Cabarete had a a deal with Cisneros, but pulled back in preference to Cabarete, But their CFO suggested Miches could also follow Cabarete last fall.

Kipling and Riva may know more.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Their are carrying out new projects in those places such as Hotels, water sports and stuff like that...

Supposedly jet skis are not allowed in Samana bay due to the whales. Is this true? I have never seen any in the area. That is hard to believe since the whales are only there for three months per year.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
93 acre site with 327 rooms and the so called 5 Trident level.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...lection-resort-in-the-americas-300642835.html

Club Med used to be fun back in the 80's and 90's but it now just another sanitized version of AI with an emphasis on sporting and such activities.

Originally they deliberately made the rooms so small...and you shared and not knowing with whom.....such that you would spend little time in those rooms.

And to add, now Chinese owned......Forsun Group.

Since I have never stayed in a Club Med, nor heard any reviews, do you think this is a good thing for the area?
In my opinion, I think another hotel in the Samana Bay could be beneficial since the locals cannot survive on tourists for just four months per year. Both the Dominicans and restaurant owners would benefit from having tourists during the rest of the year, if Club Med can attract them since Samana seems to be too quiet during the summer and fall.
Having said that, you mentioned Chinese ownership, so do you think the Chinese ownership is good or bad for Club Med, and/or Samana Bay?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Supposedly jet skis are not allowed in Samana bay due to the whales. Is this true? I have never seen any in the area. That is hard to believe since the whales are only there for three months per year.

Most areas don't allow jet skis. I'm not sure why but after 11 years in the DR I have only seen 2 and both were impounded by the marines. If Mike Fisher is still around maybe he could shed some light on this.
I have owned 4 of them in Canada and they are an environmental disaster.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Does anyone know what is happening with the Roco Key site between Hard Rock and Macao Beach in the PC area. Four Seasons was supposedly involved in this way back when, along with a bunch of other high end hotels when the plug was pulled.
A friend was over it earlier this year in a helicopter and said it looked like there was still minimal maintenance on the golf course but the rest was still going to ruin.
I sure hope it goes ahead as it is a beautiful property.

ljmesg

Aug 6, 2017
Since I have never stayed in a Club Med, nor heard any reviews, do you think this is a good thing for the area?
In my opinion, I think another hotel in the Samana Bay could be beneficial since the locals cannot survive on tourists for just four months per year. Both the Dominicans and restaurant owners would benefit from having tourists during the rest of the year, if Club Med can attract them since Samana seems to be too quiet during the summer and fall.
Having said that, you mentioned Chinese ownership, so do you think the Chinese ownership is good or bad for Club Med, and/or Samana Bay?
Club meds are great. Usually awesome locations, good lodging, decent enough food, tons to do. They know how to market as well. Their clientele is a step above Carnival Cruise clientele...which doesnt say much but it says something[emoji41][emoji39]

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

Miches is in reality a new destination in DR further up the East Coast, and so the development is going to be good for what has been a depressed and poor part of DR. But the area is not poor in what it offers, as Rivas earlier post. It certainly has good beaches, a mountain backdrop and wetlands. It can offer tourists a much better tropical insight into DR than Bavaro and I am sure Club Med will be aiming to do just that, being an activity focused hotel chain.

It is hard to see the Samana peninsula from Miches looking westerly on most days and it is tenuous to link it to Samana Bay rather than the East Coast, but that is marketing. Go 50 kilometers west and from Sabana you do see the Peninsula in the distance, and to me this is part of the Bay and the North East with the gem of a national park, Parque Los Haitises, which is a must to any traveller visiting DR, and perhaps many Club Med guests will be taking that boat trip through the mangroves into Bahia de San Lorenzo and the visit attractions in the park.

It is a long time since I stayed at Club Med's in Provo and Paradise Island, and in those days it was fun, but now it is less hedonistic apparently.

drisforme

May 28, 2016

Yes.Love Club Med. Has stayed in many of them :North America and Europe for summer and winter vacations.
It's a all inclusive club with a very large selections of activities mainly sports. Dream for kids and parents.
Most of the sports activities are included: Some such as scuba are not...Based on the short description ,they target family with special area for adult only.

Food is usually excellent :Buffet with many choices and they also run in parallel restaurants with specialities which required reservations.

It's great !

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
Miches is in reality a new destination in DR further up the East Coast, and so the development is going to be good for what has been a depressed and poor part of DR. But the area is not poor in what it offers, as Rivas earlier post. It certainly has good beaches, a mountain backdrop and wetlands. It can offer tourists a much better tropical insight into DR than Bavaro and I am sure Club Med will be aiming to do just that, being an activity focused hotel chain.

It is hard to see the Samana peninsula from Miches looking westerly on most days and it is tenuous to link it to Samana Bay rather than the East Coast, but that is marketing. Go 50 kilometers west and from Sabana you do see the Peninsula in the distance, and to me this is part of the Bay and the North East with the gem of a national park, Parque Los Haitises, which is a must to any traveller visiting DR, and perhaps many Club Med guests will be taking that boat trip through the mangroves into Bahia de San Lorenzo and the visit attractions in the park.

It is a long time since I stayed at Club Med's in Provo and Paradise Island, and in those days it was fun, but now it is less hedonistic apparently.

I agree with most of what you wrote and I understand what you meant about marketing due to it being close to Punta Cana airport but since it is basically IN Samana Bay, how could they not associate with it?  If their plans for a larger ferry ever materialize, I think the increase in tourists on the Miches side will help Samana also.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I agree with most of what you wrote and I understand what you meant about marketing due to it being close to Punta Cana airport but since it is basically IN Samana Bay, how could they not associate with it?  If their plans for a larger ferry ever materialize, I think the increase in tourists on the Miches side will help Samana also.

I struggle to geographically consider Miches and especially the beaches east of Miches to be in Samana Bay. They are all east of the most easterly point of the Samana Peninsula........

https://www.google.com.do/maps/@19.0840979,-69.1484824,10z

I would suggest to the about the edge of El Seibo province is East Coast or perhaps better the point at Bahia de la Jina as being the start of the bay....but it is all subjective.

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I struggle to geographically consider Miches and especially the beaches east of Miches to be in Samana Bay. They are all east of the most easterly point of the Samana Peninsula........

https://www.google.com.do/maps/@19.0840979,-69.1484824,10z

I would suggest to the about the edge of El Seibo province is East Coast or perhaps better the point at Bahia de la Jina as being the start of the bay....but it is all subjective.

We are needlessly splitting hairs here. However, just about every website refers to Miches as being on the southern shore of Samana Bay.

I just hope the project benefits the area, does not harm nature, gets finished without legal problems (there are enough unfinished projects in the country) and guests enjoy the Samana Bay/Atlantic :D