Renting or buying in Santiago

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
Hello Everyone,

A personal goal of mine is to have another home in another country. I was looking at the Philippines and while I liked it I know in that country I can never own any land there. I can only own a condo there. With that being said I am looking at the DR again. I was in Santo Domingo two years ago and while it is ok I want to go to a city that is not as large population wise and not as touristy. So far I have been looking on YouTube, DR1, Re-max, and Century 21 sites about renting and living in DR. I plan on visiting Santiago next month to see if I like it or not. If I do like it I can go back and visit every 3-4 months since I can take off from my job. What I would like to know is I would like to start off with a 1 bed and 1 bath apartment for rent. Then move up to ownership. Not sure if I should invest in the campo around Santiago or move to a smaller city such as Moca. If I can I would like to keep my rent around 5K-15K RD. These are the questions that I have:

1. What are some good neighborhoods in Santiago? I see Pekin, Ensueno and others but I do not know how they are.

2. Is it possible to find rent or rent to own for a 1/1 or a 2/1 around 5K-15K per month?

3. Will I find more deals when I place my feet on the ground?

4. Would Moca be a good place to live safety wise and good homes?

My ultimate goal is to own if the price is right. So I would want to have something established there.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Forget about out of the DR Real Estate Companies. You will get jacked for sure. Not that being a Gringo won't get you hit here also, but you will definitely do better here. And rent before you even think of buying.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Santiago is a great city to live in. Where you live depends on 2 factors.
1. Do you speak Spanish (Moca would be tough with no Spanish, as would certain neighborhoods in Santiago).
2. Do you plan on having a vehicle? To many others who prefer not to drive this is less of a factor because you can just use Taxi's or, better yet UBER.
I wouldn't suggest El Ensueno. There are lots of expats in Los Jardines and Via Olga but I prefer Los Pepines where I live.
Yes you can find a nice place for 15RD/month.
Yes you will find much more by being here.
Moca ? I have been there many times but don't think I would live there but to each their own. It might be just what you are looking for.
I would rent for a year which would give you time to better check out the city and make your decision. Who knows you might decide after a year Santiago is not for you. Much easier to walk away from a rental than a property you own.

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
Santiago is a great city to live in. Where you live depends on 2 factors.
1. Do you speak Spanish (Moca would be tough with no Spanish, as would certain neighborhoods in Santiago).
2. Do you plan on having a vehicle? To many others who prefer not to drive this is less of a factor because you can just use Taxi's or, better yet UBER.
I wouldn't suggest El Ensueno. There are lots of expats in Los Jardines and Via Olga but I prefer Los Pepines where I live.
Yes you can find a nice place for 15RD/month.
Yes you will find much more by being here.
Moca ? I have been there many times but don't think I would live there but to each their own. It might be just what you are looking for.
I would rent for a year which would give you time to better check out the city and make your decision. Who knows you might decide after a year Santiago is not for you. Much easier to walk away from a rental than a property you own.

1. Yes I do speak Spanish. I have been speaking since high school.

2. I do not plan on having a vehicle. I had planned on using a taxi or Uber.

3. Is Moca like a very rural type town?

As for renting that is my initial idea. Like you said it's easier to walk away from a rental if I decide that I do not like the place.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Moca is close to Santiago maybe 35 minutes. It is fairly small and does not have the services/restaurants etc. you will find in Santiago. I don't dislike Moca at all and have been there many times but it's just not for me as far as a place to live. Check out Los Jardines or Villa Olga in Santiago.

Jan 9, 2004
Absolutely not. It is rather large, by DR standards, unless you consider 150,000+ rural....but it is more rural than Santiago for sure. Lots of fincas there.

I reside there when in the DR, and have two significant reasons.........a bulk of my clients are from there....as is my wife.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Santiago is experiencing a building boom and there are plenty of rental and apts available for sale. Your best neighborhoods are well know to most of us here: Villa Olga, La Trinitaria, Oquet, La Moraleja, la Esmeralda, Cerros de Gurabo I, II and III, etc etc.

A lot depends on what you want to do with your life here. If you want to be in the center of things, there are apartments for RD$8,000 to 25,000 in the best of loactions near the Central Bank. Some are for sale, lots are for rent. US$100K will get you a very lovely apartment in a good place almost anywhere in town.

I don't do RE. Get in touch if you need help or want to look around.

HB

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
I love my apartment in La moraleja, a 5 minute walk from avenida benito Juarez with all the restaurants, or a 3 minute Uber from all the food trucks on Juan Pablo Duarte. I pay $12500 for a two bedroom plus maid room, fourth floor, no air conditioning.

I frequently go to Los jardines to eat as well, but I prefer my neighborhood for living.

Let me know when you are in town, I can meet you around here and help you see why villa Olga is a great option.

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
I used to walk through La moraleja to get to work. I was living in Las Dianas at the time. The people in that area were the friendliest in town. I wanted to live there but my wife heard a gallo and she works on the phone. The company don't like roosters crowing in the background. We used to go to Muu in the evening or the new JP Duarte restaurants opposite Bellon.

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
Absolutely not. It is rather large, by DR standards, unless you consider 150,000+ rural....but it is more rural than Santiago for sure. Lots of fincas there.

I reside there when in the DR, and have two significant reasons.........a bulk of my clients are from there....as is my wife.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

No I do not consider that rural at all!! Lol. I live near a city about double the size of Moca. I do hear that the women have a reputation for being attractive there.

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
I love my apartment in La moraleja, a 5 minute walk from avenida benito Juarez with all the restaurants, or a 3 minute Uber from all the food trucks on Juan Pablo Duarte. I pay $12500 for a two bedroom plus maid room, fourth floor, no air conditioning.

I frequently go to Los jardines to eat as well, but I prefer my neighborhood for living.

Let me know when you are in town, I can meet you around here and help you see why villa Olga is a great option.

Nice!!! Do you keep cool only with fans? Also that price is in USD correct?

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
Santiago is experiencing a building boom and there are plenty of rental and apts available for sale. Your best neighborhoods are well know to most of us here: Villa Olga, La Trinitaria, Oquet, La Moraleja, la Esmeralda, Cerros de Gurabo I, II and III, etc etc.

A lot depends on what you want to do with your life here. If you want to be in the center of things, there are apartments for RD$8,000 to 25,000 in the best of loactions near the Central Bank. Some are for sale, lots are for rent. US$100K will get you a very lovely apartment in a good place almost anywhere in town.

I don't do RE. Get in touch if you need help or want to look around.

HB

Thanks Hillbilly. Those areas look like they are around a lot of activities and markets. For me it's all about relaxing and being near the necessities such as markets, restaurants and parks. If I want a bar or night life I do not mind taking an Uber to get to it.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
Nice!!! Do you keep cool only with fans? Also that price is in USD correct?

What?! No that's pesos.... I expect them to raise the rent to 13000 pesos this year, that includes building maintenance.

I installed ceiling fans in the living room and bedroom. Sure, you sweat a little but millions if people live here with ac... Shower before bed, don't sleep with clothes on, and it's not uncomfortable.

I forgot to mention supermercado nacional is also in walking distance but it's better to drive. If you had a bike with baskets that could work too. Colmado for ice and water and beer, saves the hassle.

There was a Gallo for a few weeks. I think a Haitian ate him. I'm glad he's gone now.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Thanks Hillbilly. Those areas look like they are around a lot of activities and markets. For me it's all about relaxing and being near the necessities such as markets, restaurants and parks. If I want a bar or night life I do not mind taking an Uber to get to it.

....I have a house in La zurza 2...is next to monument...all Dominican...very nice...have neighbors that rent pay about $400 usd for a 5 bedroom new house, with maids quarters..... air conditioning in the bedroom is good in summer....La trinitaria is very close by, nice also....if you move to a smaller town, remember medical is in Santiago is probably the closest to you, also apartments are numerous and cheaper....the 2 places I mentioned are in the centro area and close to most everything.....rent and look around.... were I am nice neighbors, very quiet...forget about the realtors...find a Dominican friend and drive the areas you like,look for signs on houses, for sale means you probably can rent also....let the Dominican call the phone number and do the talking...........Doc.........

Paradiser1

May 4, 2018
Santiago

1. Yes I do speak Spanish. I have been speaking since high school.

2. I do not plan on having a vehicle. I had planned on using a taxi or Uber.

As for renting that is my initial idea. Like you said it's easier to walk away from a rental if I decide that I do not like the place.

After 25 years all over the DR-Santiago is my favourite-Moca would not be in the equation for me, and I know it well since I have a house in the mountains. I lived in Rosaleda by the monument in Santiago but it is kind of pricey. There are lots of decent areas-I would probably rent a room in a decent place that is well-located and keep my stuff there-anything more to me is a headache and attracts more folks than you asked for to take care of it for you etc. In the right place the local transport is fine, although taxis are pretty cheap if you know the price ahead.
Buena suerte:)

Jan 9, 2004
No I do not consider that rural at all!! Lol. I live near a city about double the size of Moca. I do hear that the women have a reputation for being attractive there.

I think Santiago probably fits your listed criteria better than Moca.

As to attractive women, that would be very subjective as to which places are best. One thing for sure, subjectively speaking, the most attractive women in the DR are definitely in the Cibao...............and that gives you a whole lot of options.

Good luck in your hunt for an apartment.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
What?! No that's pesos.... I expect them to raise the rent to 13000 pesos this year, that includes building maintenance.

I installed ceiling fans in the living room and bedroom. Sure, you sweat a little but millions if people live here with ac... Shower before bed, don't sleep with clothes on, and it's not uncomfortable.

I forgot to mention supermercado nacional is also in walking distance but it's better to drive. If you had a bike with baskets that could work too. Colmado for ice and water and beer, saves the hassle.

There was a Gallo for a few weeks. I think a Haitian ate him. I'm glad he's gone now.

Ok then. Just wanted to make sure. Lol. I spent some time in a woman's house down there and she only had air con in her room. So I know it can get toasty down there but I am from the southern United States so I am used to heat.

....I have a house in La zurza 2...is next to monument...all Dominican...very nice...have neighbors that rent pay about $400 usd for a 5 bedroom new house, with maids quarters..... air conditioning in the bedroom is good in summer....La trinitaria is very close by, nice also....if you move to a smaller town, remember medical is in Santiago is probably the closest to you, also apartments are numerous and cheaper....the 2 places I mentioned are in the centro area and close to most everything.....rent and look around.... were I am nice neighbors, very quiet...forget about the realtors...find a Dominican friend and drive the areas you like,look for signs on houses, for sale means you probably can rent also....let the Dominican call the phone number and do the talking...........Doc.........

That is not bad at all for rent. Thanks for the tip as well. Working on establishing connections down there. Right now have someone I am an getting to know from Pekin.

After 25 years all over the DR-Santiago is my favourite-Moca would not be in the equation for me, and I know it well since I have a house in the mountains. I lived in Rosaleda by the monument in Santiago but it is kind of pricey. There are lots of decent areas-I would probably rent a room in a decent place that is well-located and keep my stuff there-anything more to me is a headache and attracts more folks than you asked for to take care of it for you etc. In the right place the local transport is fine, although taxis are pretty cheap if you know the price ahead.
Buena suerte:)

Thank is good to know about Moca. I will just keep that on the place to visit then.

I think Santiago probably fits your listed criteria better than Moca.

As to attractive women, that would be very subjective as to which places are best. One thing for sure, subjectively speaking, the most attractive women in the DR are definitely in the Cibao...............and that gives you a whole lot of options.

Good luck in your hunt for an apartment.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Thanks. That was my first decision to look at Santiago. Only thought about Moca since it is smaller and possibly cheaper apartments. As for the women I totally understand. Everyone has a flavor that they like.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Right now have someone I am an getting to know from Pekin." OMG!!

Friend that is one of the areas you will notice NOBODY has recommended and I doubt that that woman has even gone to most of the places mentioned above.

I realize that this sounds snooty and clasist (and it is, a bit.) But it is also reality. That is an area that is known for sex, drugs and raggaeton music.

I would walk extremely cautiously if I were you.

None of your neighbors in any of the neighborhoods suggested would be very open about dating a woman from Peking.

For those of you that are going to slam me for these comments, I am not PC and I know a lot of people in Peking. One, a fantastic judo protege of mine and her sister, both got knocked up and lost just about everything--scholarships, international travel, the list goes on. There is a clinic there called Juan XXIII, where drug related accident, crime and fight victims come every day. You can see 11 and 12 year old mothers, too....it is, in essence, a barrio of Santiago. Are there good people there? Yes there are, but there are a whole lot of not-so good people, too.

Wait until you are settled before going out looking for "someone special" is my advice.....

Might save your life.

Sorry to be such a curmudgeon, but such is life here....

You can ask me about Randy some day.

HB

Jaws2003

Mar 31, 2016
"Right now have someone I am an getting to know from Pekin." OMG!!

Friend that is one of the areas you will notice NOBODY has recommended and I doubt that that woman has even gone to most of the places mentioned above.

I realize that this sounds snooty and clasist (and it is, a bit.) But it is also reality. That is an area that is known for sex, drugs and raggaeton music.

I would walk extremely cautiously if I were you.

None of your neighbors in any of the neighborhoods suggested would be very open about dating a woman from Peking.

For those of you that are going to slam me for these comments, I am not PC and I know a lot of people in Peking. One, a fantastic judo protege of mine and her sister, both got knocked up and lost just about everything--scholarships, international travel, the list goes on. There is a clinic there called Juan XXIII, where drug related accident, crime and fight victims come every day. You can see 11 and 12 year old mothers, too....it is, in essence, a barrio of Santiago. Are there good people there? Yes there are, but there are a whole lot of not-so good people, too.

Wait until you are settled before going out looking for "someone special" is my advice.....

Might save your life.

Sorry to be such a curmudgeon, but such is life here....

You can ask me about Randy some day.

HB

Yes. I was curious about that when I asked. When I looked at the neighborhood on Google Maps I did not know what to think of it. HB I always take my time. I do not want to get involved with nobody too fast. Also I did mention some areas I saw and she told me that she hardly goes out of the barrio besides going to gozamba bar, lovera and tabu when she has the cash.