Vehicles in the DR..

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Interesting article. Of the over 4 Million regsitered vehicles, 48% are 18 years old.

Begs the question, how many are unregistered and what is the government doing to introduce new vehicles and phase out the older ones. The older vehicles contribute to higher levels of pollution.

I think giving the people access to better public transport would also help.

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...cano-BY9809883

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have observed many black smoke spewing diesel trucks and Jeepetas heading up the mountain to Jarabacoa. I think maintenance is a bigger issue than age.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Interesting article. Of the over 4 Million regsitered vehicles, 48% are 18 years old.

Begs the question, how many are unregistered and what is the government doing to introduce new vehicles and phase out the older ones. The older vehicles contribute to higher levels of pollution.

The only way to introduce newer vehicles is to slash import duties and the absurd "first registration" tax. The 18% is bad enough...

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
The only way to introduce newer vehicles is to slash import duties and the absurd "first registration" tax. The 18% is bad enough...

also, how about low ineterest car loans for those with verified employment.

The country needs to think of the future and not just today.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Carlos -- did you hear about my car loan application in January ??

REFUSED!!!
I'm too old - 69

hahahaha

our famous car concierge was there

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

one reason why there are so many pieces of crap on the roads is the 5 year law. a 2013 car is perfectly satisfactory for importation, but the big new car dealer guys who fund the politicians do not want the competition. ergo, a guy who could afford a 2013, but cannot afford a 2018, has to keep puttering around in the 1991 Nissan Sentra.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
I have observed many black smoke spewing diesel trucks and Jeepetas heading up the mountain to Jarabacoa. I think maintenance is a bigger issue than age.

But would they still be running at all after 18+ years if maintenance hadn’t been performed? Kind of a conundrum? :)-)

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
Carlos -- did you hear about my car loan application in January ??

REFUSED!!!
I'm too old - 69

hahahaha

our famous car concierge was there

I missed it.

Too old even though you can perfectly pay with no issues

how silly

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
one reason why there are so many pieces of crap on the roads is the 5 year law. a 2013 car is perfectly satisfactory for importation, but the big new car dealer guys who fund the politicians do not want the competition. ergo, a guy who could afford a 2013, but cannot afford a 2018, has to keep puttering around in the 1991 Nissan Sentra.

so the 5 year rule applies to individuals and corporations?

not sure why I thought that certain used dealerships were able to sell cars over 5 years old. Also, do you know if there is a restriction from someone like me to sell you a car that is older than 5 years?

Overall, the DR has to make some changes here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

not sure why I thought that certain used dealerships were able to sell cars over 5 years old. Also, do you know if there is a restriction from someone like me to sell you a car that is older than 5 years?

this has gone back and forth for years. i have lost track, but i am positive that in the early 2000s you could not bring in a car over 5 years old unless it was as a resident moving his belongings.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

if you bring in a car with your belongings, you cannot sell it under 2 years.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
if you bring in a car with your belongings, you cannot sell it under 2 years.

G, you know about cars.

It is now 2018. Wouldn't it be better for the DR government to help people obtain small low interest car loans and change the law from 5 years to 10 years and phase out these 20 year old vehicles?

The potential damage done to the environment can end up being more costly than setting up small loans with government incentives.

thoughts/comments open to everyone else of course

Jan 7, 2016
One only has to travel on Avenida Alemania in Bavaro, to realize how badly the D.R. needs regulations on the age and condition of large trucks. One afternoon, I counted 3 loaded dump trucks without front bumpers, fenders or hoods with tail lights dangling by the wiring roaring down the Avenida full-tilt with loads flowing over the tops of the dump beds. If they don't have fenders, they don't have headlights or turn signals/emergency flashers. They're belching large amounts of black, sooty smoke into the clean beach-front air. Something needs to be done and soon or Punta Cana is going to smell like Los Angeles!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Importing.... is when the 5 yr rule applies..
Yes a 2yr (maybe 3 yr) moratorium on selling

Once here --- open season on buying selling

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Importing.... is when the 5 yr rule applies..
Yes a 2yr (maybe 3 yr) moratorium on selling

Once here --- open season on buying selling

i think there should be a moratorium on importing. i travel to the capital from POP on a regular basis, and there must be hundreds of used car dealerships along the way. who buys all these cars? where does this money come from?