I AM LOOKING FOR A SPANISH TEACHER!!!!

TonySky313

May 10, 2018
Hello,

I am currently in search of a good Spanish teacher. I am planning to relocate to the DR and think I should focus on learning Dominican Spanish instead of Latin American Spanish. Please let me know if you can recommend any teachers currently with online classes .

Thanks

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
FYI: You will probably get better recommendations if you state which part of the country you'll be living.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
FYI: You will probably get better recommendations if you state which part of the country you'll be living.

The are asking for "any teachers currently with online classes", therefore location is probably not important.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Hello,

I am currently in search of a good Spanish teacher. I am planning to relocate to the DR and think I should focus on learning Dominican Spanish instead of Latin American Spanish. Please let me know if you can recommend any teachers currently with online classes .

Thanks

I'd suggest starting with Duolingo.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
immersion is the best way.

Once you find something online, your next step will be to immerse yourself with Dominicans.

Watch a few Dominican movies, go to the local shops and interact with the people.

SNH

Jul 24, 2010
Hello,

Thanks

This would be equivalent to saying I'm moving to North America and I want to learn United States english or Texas English not Canadian english. They are all the same vs the more formal English spoke in the UK.

Dominican Spanish IS Latin American Spanish....as is Colombian Spanish, and everything else in Latin America. Now each country has its own slang, just like each state in the USA has its own local slang etc. New York vs Texas for example.

Most course are broken down into Latin American Spanish or Castilian Spanish.

Castilian Spanish is the more formal Spanish spoken in Spain.

With a quick google search there are many online teachers you can find plenty.

example - https://www.lingoda.com/en/spanish/how-it-works

UmSulaiman

Apr 19, 2011
Hi. I can teach you Dominican Spanish online. I lived in DR for four years, worked at a School there, have a Master's degree in Education and a Bachelor's degree in English....aaaaaand, a Dominican husband of 9yrs who doesnt speak a word of English! Message me please.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hello,

Thanks

I think you will be hard pressed to find an on-line Spanish teacher in the DR. You are better off to learn Castilian Spanish and the right verbs and pronunciation and then work on the local idioms when you try to integrate into everyday life. Once you are living here you will find local Spanish teachers who can teach and help you practice your conversation skills. Good luck and good travels.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
https://www.fluentu.com/blog/spanish/dominican-spanish/
https://www.veintemundos.com/en/spanish/dominican-republic/
Learn standard latin American spanish and then adapt when you arrive here. My wife, who is Dominican learned to speak proper Spanish from all the Colombian and Spanish nuns she had as teachers. we have travelled through almost every country in Latin America as well as Spain and they understand her fine. We went through south America with 21 other Dominicans and they had no problems communicating with the locals in any country so the language has many dialects but they still understand each other. You will not have a problem being understood if you speak Spanish that you learned in the USA or Canada taught by a person from a country other than the DR. Understanding the locals may be a challenge at times until you get used to their speech.