Furniture Shopping in Santiago

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
I'm going to help a gal outfit a new 3 bedroom condo (North Coast) later this year. I always look at prices when around furniture, but never paid much attention and never outfitted a whole house all at once.
Couple questions:
If buying decent but pre-made furniture in Santiago stores, can we do it with a budget of $25,000 usd? I know I know, a lot of variables, but just looking for a ball park guestimate. Bed frames, mattress sets, dressers, dining room, living room, patio furniture, 2 or 3 TV's, dishes, pots/pans, silverware, wall hangings, linens, etc.

Also, I"m hoping to visit 3 or 4 stores and get it done in one (long) day. Posible? At least the furniture. I imagine a lot of the smaller stuff will have to be done later. Not a big deal, need to get the furniture on the way as quick as possible.

And when the time comes, I'll probably look for somebody that knows the stores and the city to come with us for the day - with remunerations to that person of course. Otherwise I'd spend most of the day just getting lost.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited:
Not possible in one day and you must bring someone who knows all of the good stores and city or it will take you weeks. 
$25k for a 3 bedroom condo should be doable, depends on quality of course etc. 
Hit up Ashely’s furniture, Casa Questa, La Casita, the large Ochoa (there are 2 other smaller ones) Bellon, Price Smart just to start...
Good luck and don’t expect everything to be done smoothly or in a timely Fashion and you will be fine. 

Jan 9, 2004
I'm going to help a gal outfit a new 3 bedroom condo (North Coast) later this year. I always look at prices when around furniture, but never paid much attention and never outfitted a whole house all at once.
Couple questions:
If buying decent but pre-made furniture in Santiago stores, can we do it with a budget of $25,000 usd? I know I know, a lot of variables, but just looking for a ball park guestimate. Bed frames, mattress sets, dressers, dining room, living room, patio furniture, 2 or 3 TV's, dishes, pots/pans, silverware, wall hangings, linens, etc.

Also, I"m hoping to visit 3 or 4 stores and get it done in one (long) day. Posible? At least the furniture. I imagine a lot of the smaller stuff will have to be done later. Not a big deal, need to get the furniture on the way as quick as possible.

And when the time comes, I'll probably look for somebody that knows the stores and the city to come with us for the day - with remunerations to that person of course. Otherwise I'd spend most of the day just getting lost.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

You may not need to go to Santiago.

Check some of the local websites dedicated to the north coast. Many times people leaving the DR will offer for sale their entire contents of the house/apartment.

Alternatively try corotos.com.do or one of the many other sites in the DR dedicated to selling items.....new and used furniture included.

Finally, keep an eye on the classifieds here as there have been several people offer for sale home contents.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
North Coast products are horrific, in my opinion yes he needs to go to Santiago. 
IKEA is pretty expensive for their crap as well... if she will be living on the ocean do not get ikea stuff!!!!
IKEA has a lot of stuff, but the quality is suspect. It reminds me of "first apartment after college" furniture.

I despise the inability to just leave IKEA when you're done wiothout having to snake through the entire store. I had to push Mom CB in a wheelchair through the whole damn store after we bought the one item she wanted. No shortcuts.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hit up Ashely’s furniture, Casa Questa, La Casita, the large Ochoa (there are 2 other smaller ones) Bellon, Price Smart just to start...
Solid suggestions. I found Ashley surprisingly rather spendy.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
My first thought was $25K US would probably be more towards a lower end budget. As you said, a lot of variables and tastes come in to play.

Granted I haven't checked out RD furniture prices in quite a few years, but even starting with bedrooms you have to figure $6-10K for 3 bedrooms. You don't want to cheap out on the mattress/box spring or it will be replaced in 6 months. Add in dressers, night tables, lamps, mirrors, linens and bath linens and at least 1/3 of your budget is gone.

I'd love to know if I'm wrong on this, because if I am that is great news.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Thanks all. The store names and suggestions are a great start. Appreciate the help.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Simmons Maxipedics box springs and mattresses at Pricemart were I think around 22k pesos for a queen matress and around another 5-6 k pesos for the box spring. They had twins to kings.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Simmons Maxipedics box springs and mattresses at Pricemart were I think around 22k pesos for a queen matress and around another 5-6 k pesos for the box spring. They had twins to kings.

....Bob, last 3 years did 4 bedrooms with those mattress in queen size.....very good so far.......

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
before you embark on a trip to santiago check out few places in PP: hidelisa, L&R commercial and francis muebles. all on manolo tavarez justo. you can check the quality and pricing for comparison purposes. each may offer you a discount on a sizable purchase and quick delivery. even if you do not buy then at least it will give you an idea what to expect in terms of quality, style and price.

for small items i like casa cuesta in santiago but the prices are pretty steep. but then they sell quality items like nordic ware and kitchen aid. but then it's also not worth buying for regular dominicans, so to speak.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

Good to know, Thanks. Pricemart will be one of the stops.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
I have cheap tastes...25k is a lot of money.

I liked curacao in Santiago for appliances.

Look for mothers day sales...

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Only $25,000.00?
Are kidding me? I spent more then that
for just my coffee table...... ooh la la

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
before you embark on a trip to santiago check out few places in PP: hidelisa, L&R commercial and francis muebles. all on manolo tavarez justo. you can check the quality and pricing for comparison purposes. each may offer you a discount on a sizable purchase and quick delivery. even if you do not buy then at least it will give you an idea what to expect in terms of quality, style and price.

for small items i like casa cuesta in santiago but the prices are pretty steep. but then they sell quality items like nordic ware and kitchen aid. but then it's also not worth buying for regular dominicans, so to speak.

Thanks, good idea. We'll probably do that.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Now looking for a reliable and good quality window coverings company. Blinds, curtains and drapes.

Anyone had experience with a good one? For work on North Coast.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Some of th artisan bedroom stuff is nice. You find this south of Santiago heading to La Vega. Plenty high end in same area. I think the store called Hawaii in Santiago is reasonable too. I bought a dining room set awhile back for 80,000

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
curtains we have made -- buy fabric & find a seamstress.

My lady is in RSJ so won't be any good for you...sorry