moving to las terranes

paul bosch

May 13, 2018
My wife and are moving to Las terranes in July, a few questions please. How much does it cost for a good used quad cycle? and how much for insurance? What is best cell phone service?
thank you

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
The quad will be more expensive than the USA. Expect to buy a beater for a couple of grand. I like Altice, but Claro is probably OK. If you are coming from the USA get a google fi phone. 20 cents a minute anywhere in the world and $10 a gigabyte. Does not roam in 170 countries. Downside is Dominicans have to call you long distance, but everyone uses whatsapp for calls anyways.

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
I live in Las Terrenas.
I use Claro for my phone, generally I find better coverage and reliability than Altice. For a period I had both but have always used Claro for my personal line.
Insurance on a Quad will be around 1100 pesos to 2500 per year depending on the age of the vehicle and cover you go for.

Price of the quad, depends on what size engine you want. The size of engine is depend on where you are living and what you want to use it for. A larger engine if you want to cover any distance and/or live on la Loma. Smaller if its just in town and local. Prices, well there are always a couple available. I suggest trying one of the Las Terrenas Facebook groups.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
Does it make any sense to import a quad? We are moving some household goods, as well as a vehicle (yeah, I know), once we establish residency in a couple years. Making another trip to Las Terrenas end of 2018 and expect to check out the local quad sales, but I expect they are more expensive and the selection more limited.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Does it make any sense to import a quad? We are moving some household goods, as well as a vehicle (yeah, I know), once we establish residency in a couple years. Making another trip to Las Terrenas end of 2018 and expect to check out the local quad sales, but I expect they are more expensive and the selection more limited.

I owned a condo in LT for about 6 years and have been coming to the DR for over 30. Don't bring any major household goods, such as furniture or appliances. You're wasting your time and money doing this. I would also forget about bringing your vehicle. If you havn't started the residency process yet get going. The process starts in your home country. You need to get together a number of documents and have them translated into Spanish. Also you need to get them approved by the closest Dominican Consulate. These need to be all approved and brought to the DR and then a lawyer will assist you in completing the process. Good luck and good travels.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
No it does not. Without residency you will be taxed out of existence on your household goods and vehicles. As nonresidents you will be preyed upon and bled dry. You will be a hostage in a system that doesn't afford you any rights or protections.

Without residency, you can't get a driver's license and without a driver's license, well you get the picture...

If you haven't submitted residency paperwork before you move here, then bring yourself and whatever will fit in a suitcase. If you have applied for residency, make sure your stuff doesn't end up on a dock here before you have your residency card in your hand.

Don’t import the atv. Just buy it here.
You don’t need a dr drivers license if you have a good insurance company. My friends and I all who don’t have one get all our insurance payouts. Many will say you do and if you have a bad insurance compmay you probably do have to have one.
I don’t know Insurance peeps out there in LT but ask people when you get there who have been there for a long time and hopefully they will point you in the right direction.

Claro is way better than Altice in most areas.

I bought my Honda quad for $6500 4 years ago it was about 2 years old I think. . It’s my fav vehicle I have bought here. I would suggest to get Honda. Do not but the Chinese crap ones.

Good luck and welcome to the Wild West!!

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
No, we understand we need residency first. This is not a spur of the moment move. We are retiring and have been planning this for some time. One subject we see a LOT of inconsistency with is importing vehicles. I am sure, like everything else DR, the law changes a lot. We do plan to import our primary vehicle, and some household goods, once we establish residency; however, not so sure about importing an ATV. Other than being more expensive, I would hope the selection would be adequate (i.e. non-Chinese sourced).

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Bringing the car is what I did
And it worked well for me

Have a look here at the ATV possibilities and you’ll have a better idea.
There are big dealers in Sto Domingo

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I believe if you both get residency, you can each bring a vehicle within 6 months oh date of residency.

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
Great, thanks for the information everyone! My wife and I are visiting LT again this Fall and looking at UTV's are on our to do list. We've heard two opinions...1) ship the vehicle in a container, and 2) have a RORO shipper do it separately. Our agent suggests the RORO option. We have some research to do :glasses:

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
Great, thanks for the information everyone! My wife and I are visiting LT again this Fall and looking at UTV's are on our to do list. We've heard two opinions...1) ship the vehicle in a container, and 2) have a RORO shipper do it separately. Our agent suggests the RORO option. We have some research to do :glasses:

Was referring to the car shipment, not the UTV....

RockyM

Jul 16, 2018
RoRo is a cheaper option.... open air from FLA

Did some quick research and yes the container is quite a bit more. A Youtube video shows the shipper stacking the vehicles in a container, which is interesting. Up to four vehicles in a 40ft container. Initially we thought we could put our vehicle and household stuff in the same container. Not sure if that is an option. All of this will be a logistical "challenge" I'm sure :nervous:

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
Great choice Rocky, LT is my favorite place in all of the DR and I have been everywhere. Good luck.