House Hunters Santo Domingo

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
I love watching these types of shows, especially when the DR is showcased. I hope it worked out for her.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
The one in Cabarete. a couple years ago ? was most amusing.... One house or Condo ? i forget , but the NEW washer and dryer SOLD the place.. and it was only like $319,000, and of course they were DIRECTLY comparing it to the Place they had back in the USA... lol.. like that is ever remotely relevant ..

.... PT Barnum was a Genius...

Cant wait to watch this ... will savor it later on this eve, with a snifter of some nice Brugal Leyenda

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You have to watch these shows with a bit of skeptical eye. I remember looking at a property in Belize that was featured on a similar show and some nitwit actually bought a condo in the same building I walked through. Located on a spit of sand off the coast Ambergris Caye no more than 3 feet above the high tide line - not where I'd want to be or have my things when a hurricane blows through. Electricity was supplied by generator while waiting for power to be run from a nearby island.

Was very expansive in that all units were 400-500 thousand US dollars. Not a year later the developer went out of business and the lone sales model building was left on that same spit of sand with no power, no water and no maintenance - and less than zero resale value. I always felt kinda sorry for that women who bought one of the units on the TV show.

In this case - Vermont to Santo Domingo? Where's Dad? Single Mom, limited Spanish ouch. Oh well, Mom seemed happy as the credits scrolled by. Those in SD, if anyone bumps into her in Mirador Park, it would be interesting to hear what she has to say now. :)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I don't like this episode. I think they did a sloppy job presenting the city. Other Latin American cities with slums and informal markets on the street are presented much nicer than they did with Santo Domingo.

Look at Lima as an example. Not a single shot of the horrible and extremely ugly poor neighborhoods that exist in that city. Do you guys know how ugly and dusty much of Lima looks like? From this show, apparently not!

[video=youtube;lJV_0oYMkr0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJV_0oYMkr0[/video]

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Mexico City appears as a marvelous first world city with no income extremes and no poor informal neighborhoods.

[video=youtube;oDO6sfJ8gtY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDO6sfJ8gtY[/video]

They couldn't do that with Santo Domingo. :sleep:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
[video=youtube_share;R_ovMySfakc]https://youtu.be/R_ovMySfakc[/video]

The show looks interesting but you have to keep in mind that most of this is staged. This gal from VT. will have a huge learning curve in coming to the DR to live. Anything is possible but these episodes rarely cover many of the major details and the problems she will really encounter will be glossed over. It's purely entertainment and really not very realistic.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
The show looks interesting but you have to keep in mind that most of this is staged. This gal from VT. will have a huge learning curve in coming to the DR to live. Anything is possible but these episodes rarely cover many of the major details and the problems she will really encounter will be glossed over. It's purely entertainment and really not very realistic.

The many times Ive contemplated moving there, I also wondered about contacting House Hunters. Does anyone know if House Hunters gives you anything for going through this process with them?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
No - I wasn't offered anything and they came to me looking for a 'Green Project'

As LT says... it can be staged.

Mine was so staged the advertiser nixed it....

Looking for & buying a house I had built already.... quite phony....

It was fun doing the screening ....

Holly was her name = from Hollywood......seriously

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
No - I wasn't offered anything and they came to me looking for a 'Green Project'

As LT says... it can be staged.

Mine was so staged the advertiser nixed it....

Looking for & buying a house I had built already.... quite phony....

It was fun doing the screening ....

Holly was her name = from Hollywood......seriously

I Also thought the apt choices could have been better. There are so many places for rent or sale. She was shown Malecon highrise, Slum and what she ultimately chose.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
They filmed an episode a few years ago in our complex just as the first phase was finishing up. It was completely staged. The couple had already bought 2 units in the complex about 2 months before production started. They other 2 properties that where shown were not even in the same league as the ones they bought. The price shown was also inflated by about 30% over what they actually paid.
It can be a entertaining show but it's as phony as a 3 peso coin. There is also no compensation for being on the show. Just bragging rights to your friends and family.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
They filmed an episode a few years ago in our complex just as the first phase was finishing up. It was completely staged. The couple had already bought 2 units in the complex about 2 months before production started. They other 2 properties that where shown were not even in the same league as the ones they bought. The price shown was also inflated by about 30% over what they actually paid.
It can be a entertaining show but it's as phony as a 3 peso coin. There is also no compensation for being on the show. Just bragging rights to your friends and family.

WOW, Just WOW......
that is incredible ... worse staging than I even suspected.
Now it makes sense.. the acting is just so bad, you can tell sometimes their Hearts are not in it at all.
So essentially its a TOOL the Realtors use to SELL property.. ?
and the show makes money.
the Fake Buyers get their 15 minutes of Fame
everyone wins... except the suckers who think its real ..

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
WOW, Just WOW......
that is incredible ... worse staging than I even suspected.
Now it makes sense.. the acting is just so bad, you can tell sometimes their Hearts are not in it at all.
So essentially its a TOOL the Realtors use to SELL property.. ?
and the show makes money.
the Fake Buyers get their 15 minutes of Fame
everyone wins... except the suckers who think its real ..

You nailed it. The worst part of the show here was the realtor himself. He was close to the most corrupt guy I have ever met. Thankfully he is long gone.