Car Rental - Best Deal?

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
Hello Experts,

It’s been a while but I will be visiting the DR again for a few weeks.

I’m looking for the best deal on car rental on the north coast.

Someplace economical with great service.

Can anyone direct me to a website or social media listing?

Thank you for your insight.

Vibe_2020

Jul 1, 2003
I forgot to mention that car rental place may be anywhere on North Coast, POP, Sosua, Santiago, etc.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The big companies such as AVIS, Hertz etc may well give you the most familiar "customer service". Renting cars here is a lottery where the winner doesn't get tagged with extra fees/charges or just outright screwed over.

In this country a deal may not be the most important consideration - you rent it, you dent it, you're paying one way or the other - there goes the deal out the window.

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
If you rent from one of the major companies such as Avis, use your gold or platinum card and they will cover damage. Also if you have car insurance policy back home you are covered, "atleast in the US" . In other words don't by thier insurace.

Jan 17, 2009
Don't trust using a major credit card to cover everything !  Call your credit card company and verify coverage first.  They do cover certain things, but at least US credit cards do not cover liability; only collision and theft.   

In the north coast, I've rented at decent rates with full coverage from OK Motors in Sosua.  You need to pay an additional amount for full coverage, but worth doing it.  Make sure that wherever you rent from does not have an excessive deductible.   They tend to say car has full coverage, when in fact, if you ask properly, you find out there's a $3,000 USD deductible.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
If you rent from one of the major companies such as Avis, use your gold or platinum card and they will cover damage. Also if you have car insurance policy back home you are covered, "atleast in the US" . In other words don't by thier insurace.

You might want to double check that?

My American auto insurance policy (with USAA) does provide rental car coverage outside he USA. BUT it has a small list of countries where the rental car coverage is NOT valid. The DR is on that short list.
Several friends also checked the fine print on their auto policies and found the same thing. Rental car coverage in the Dominican Republic was specifically excluded. 

So “Buyer Beware”. 

That said, I use “L und I” rental car  on Calle Dr Rosen in Sosua (down towards the Waterfront Hotel. Across from FraggleRock).  Excellent service and good prices.  Luis, the manager, speaks excellent English. 

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I have always used Budget and never had a problem. I have Visa send me a letter as to what they cover in the event an accident happens. Because they cover everything the rental agent backs off on the high pressure insurance add ons.
The insurance they try to push can double or triple the price of the car rental.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
OK Motors in Sosua. Click the box for insurance without deductible.

btw - liability is usually included in rentals the world over except for North America. So, you're paying for collision and for "casa de conductor" (otherwise, you get a free tour of the jail in the event of accident while the police sort stuff out).

Also, I recommend against rental cars; bad idea. A driver is economical and will keep you out of trouble.

Jan 9, 2004
Hello Experts,

All the major companies, their policies and pricing can be found here.

Good luck.

http://dominicanrepublicairportcars...ic_dominican_republic_airport_brand_info.html

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2 

Last edited:

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Hello Experts,

Forget about American companies.
Use OK Motors Sosua great service, take full coverage.

http://www.ok-motors.com/en/reservations/

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
Yrs. ago my x wife drove our avis rental through the wall that used go around the rotary in pop,$ 5,000 US in damage which came out of my gold card. When I got back to Boston I got in touch with the credit card co. as well as my auto ins. co. I sent them all the paper work from avis and to my surprise they both paid me minus deductable. Total of US 9,000 dollars. One of the checks sat in my desk drawer for 3 mos. before i deposited it just in case.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Yrs. ago my x wife drove our avis rental through the wall that used go around the rotary in pop,$ 5,000 US in damage which came out of my gold card. When I got back to Boston I got in touch with the credit card co. as well as my auto ins. co. I sent them all the paper work from avis and to my surprise they both paid me minus deductable. Total of US 9,000 dollars. One of the checks sat in my desk drawer for 3 mos. before i deposited it just in case.

You made money?