How do locals handle this heat? i just returned from Las Terrenas / The capital...

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
I come from the US where AC is common. The heat this week was unbearable . Just oppressive! how do expats or locals handle it ?? I mean the carritos, comedores and colmados never have ac. I undertand the economic reality of having an AC is Rep dom but jesus ! lol .
As a an american we always seek the sun but I can see now why people hate the noon time sun !!

whats your trick ?? and is AC THAT much more expensive here ??? with the world getting hotter what will give ??

This is still not warm really. Locals are used to it just like I am getting used to it. I dislike heat and dread the summer every year but I am acclimated now. No way will I go in a Pool or the ocean in the winter, way too cold!!
Stay out of the sun as much as possible, drink lots of water, put a damp cloth around your neck. Always be around a fan or Ac...
I found drinking alcohol made me much warmer, so one huge upside to not drinking anymore, I don’t get he heat flashes like I did with alcohol.

Good luck bc heat sucks it imo. 

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
After six months or so you acclimatize and the heat feels less oppressive. Partly because you accept that you can't do anything about it and partly because feeling hot is the new normal. After a year you just can't be bothered feeling like the heat is stifling because you still can't do anything about it and it does no good obsessing over it.

It's hot, no doubt but its not a predominant or intolerable obsession for me any longer.

Drink 3 or 4 liters of water every day, stay out of the direct sun, wear a wide brimmed hat to keep the sun off your face and neck, wear light coloured loose fitting clothing that breathes easily like silk. :) At least choose fabrics that wick moisture away from the skin and lets it evaporate away. Cotton is not your friend here. If I am feeling uncomfortable, I jump in the pool and don't towel myself dry - I let the evaporation process suck away some heat from my skin. Especially effective on the head when your hair is wet.

If I have to be outside in the sun I'll wet a bandanna and tie it loosely around my neck to cool the blood as it flows to and from my head. I'll often wear a bandanna on my head to soak up the sweat and keep it out of my eyes. As the sweat evaporates from the bandanna it cools my forehead a bit.

Simply, you get used to the heat and get on with things, perhaps at half speed. When it gets really hot in Aug/Sept/Oct I'll take a nap or watch some TV mid afternoon with the AC on in the bedroom to give my body a break and a chance to cool down - it really sucks to leave the bedroom afterward though. While at home, there is usually a fan on nearby.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
The summer heat was one of my reasons to go back to Europe. And I was always using A/C. The higher middle class locals btw beat it by not going places where’s no A/C.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
It doesn't snow here. full. stop.

Finding a parking space in the shade here is a life skill.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
The locals have genetics on their side and they keep calm and carry on. I was at a double wedding in Luperon late September a few years ago and the heat was oppressive. I recall a few of the well dressed local ladies commenting about the heat. I only winter in the DR so the summer Caribbean heat is not an issue for me. During my winters in the DR, I adapt to the heat. Rarely do I use air conditioning which is free where I stay, I run early in the morning when it’s cooler, and from noon to three, I keep a low profile. Given a choice between contending with extreme cold or heat, I’ll pick heat every time, especially as I age and my joints are starting to hurt from years of wear and tear. You don’t want to be in a cold climate if you suffer from arthritis.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it's not even that hot yet. i am not particularly bothered by heat and i run long distances in the morning followed by walking a dog, i usually finish around 11 am. but then i am not a greasy chunk of fat wrapped in a thick blankie of adipose tissue all around. i hate AC and banned it from our house so far.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I come from the US where AC is common. The heat this week was unbearable . Just oppressive! how do expats or locals handle it ?? I mean the carritos, comedores and colmados never have ac. I undertand the economic reality of having an AC is Rep dom but jesus ! lol .
As a an american we always seek the sun but I can see now why people hate the noon time sun !!

whats your trick ?? and is AC THAT much more expensive here ??? with the world getting hotter what will give ??

A/C is much more expensive in the DR and many don't have or want to spend the money on this luxury. Citizens of the DR accept the heat as a way of life. That is why many businesses are closed from 12-2 during the hottest part of the day. Siesta. Makes sense? You're in the tropics my friend. As they say "if you can't stand the heat....

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
If you donate a Pint of Blood, you will feel cooler & you may even be saving another Life

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
I tend to do things early in the day or later in the day thus avoiding the mid day heat. Like many have said, it is not that hot yet. But it is coming....

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
I still live without ac at home...even left the windows shut last night.

You get used to sweating.

But in Florida I was riding around a crotch rocket in full gear so I haven't smelled particularly good in years.

But in the middle of the day here I can burn in the time it takes to wash my car. The sun is strong.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Hot? It isn't hot yet. The hottest months tend to be August and September on the north coast. But it can feel even warmer in Santo Domingo.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
They acclimate. Just look at the girls wearing skin tight jeans (never looked, but I've heard). How can someone do that in the heat? Wearing tight jeans in hot weather would drive me nuts.

Or a guy wearing black Dockers. I stay indoors during the real bad heat, I can't take too much of it. I do have one of those water retaining thingies I wear around my neck, and a hat helps.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
it's not even that hot yet. i am not particularly bothered by heat and i run long distances in the morning followed by walking a dog, i usually finish around 11 am. but then i am not a greasy chunk of fat wrapped in a thick blankie of adipose tissue all around. i hate AC and banned it from our house so far.

Wow....a greasy chunk of fat?

No, you banned it because of affordability, electricity is very expensive in this country!!

'Greasy chunk of fat...wow!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Wow....a greasy chunk of fat?

No, you banned it because of affordability, electricity is very expensive in this country!!

'Greasy chunk of fat...wow!

Have you seen her photo? huba huba

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
THIS IS SIMPLY AN OBSERVATION.... a lot of negative Nancy saying " If you can't take the heat"... PLEASE.

I am in my mid 20's and travel ( and will continue) to DR several times a year and explore the various regions on DR. I was simply wondering how do locals do it and never wearing shorts.

It was something of culture shock how people just carry on with what I would consider "oppressive" heat. That is all. I am not here to change anyone or anything and don't care to.

My Dominican mami never wants to go to the beach before 3 and I usually wanna seize the day and head out ...now it makes sense. I am ALWAYS sweating ... yet never saw any one else sweat LOL.

THanks your for POSITIVE feedback guys. I like to keep it local and cheap when i go... so I am always in the carritos, colmados & comedores and drinks ;)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have full time job with central A/C. my cars have a/c and my bedroom has a/c. My gym has central a/c. I stay away from sun and take vitamin D pills. I feel no heat here at all. so if you are going to move here, try not to live like poor people.
Poverty sucks all over the world.
AZB