Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How do locals handle this heat? i just returned from Las Terrenas / The capital...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Not to mention pesky mosquitoes.
    (As explained by Caonabo)

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    Ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun is the number-one cause of skin cancer. Cumulative sun exposure causes mainly basal cell and squamous cell skin cancer, while episodes of severe sunburns, usually before age 18, can raise the risk of developing melanoma.
    (As explained by WebMD)
    And of course, you would want me and the rest to believe that this is the reason behind wearing an extreme amount of cloth?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wishing you well View Post
    And of course, you would want me and the rest to believe that this is the reason behind wearing an extreme amount of cloth?
    I could care less what you, the rest, or any of the others believe, but as a Dominican this is why I tend to wear long pants, long sleeves, and head coverings during daytime/sunlight hours, as well as dawn/dusk hours for prime mosquito hours. I can only speak for myself, and those I know of.

4. Likes Russell liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    I could care less what you, the rest, or any of the others believe, but as a Dominican this is why I tend to wear long pants, long sleeves, and head coverings during daytime/sunlight hours, as well as dawn/dusk hours for prime mosquito hours. I can only speak for myself, and those I know of.
    The thread is in reference to Dominican heat. The mention of clothing and the type was a direct response to it. What you personally wear is irrelevant vs. what does happens everyday with the populace.

You are very "touchy," what happened - heat, mosquitoes bothering you?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The thread is in reference to Dominican heat. The mention of clothing and the type was a direct response to it. What you personally wear is irrelevant vs. what does happens everyday with the populace.

You are very "touchy," what happened - heat, mosquitoes bothering you?
    I am fully aware of what this thread is in regards to, as I have been participating within it. It was you who decided to interject a somewhat curious question in regards to my statements. So please, as a foreigner, explain to all of us, why Dominicans wear "extreme amount of cloth" in the hot weather.

7. Dislikes Tamborista disliked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

*couldn’t care less...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I believe Caonabo is correct on why the Dominican population wear clothing that covers them up. Have you not noticed that many Motoconchos wear sleeve protecting their arms and gloves as well, often hoodies and bandanas. I have even asked and got the answer that it is protection from the sun. I also asked my wife, who as a Dominican has most of the same habits, except she prefers to use an umbrella instead of a sweater or coat. The amount of skin damage, especiality to poor women from the sun is huge, and yes even dark skinned people suffer from over exposure to the sun. Dematologists do great business here. I myself never wear shorts except to swim or go to the beach, however I don't like wearing longsleeves unless I have to. In the end people do what works for them. I don't suffer during the day from the heat even though I am Canadian, but I thankfully have a/c in the bedroom for sleeping. Jarabacoa is usually 4-5 degrees cooler than Santiago/la vega but it still gets pretty hot and humid in the spring and summer months.

10. Likes Caonabo, Russell liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    Yes, I believe Caonabo is correct on why the Dominican population wear clothing that covers them up. Have you not noticed that many Motoconchos wear sleeve protecting their arms and gloves as well, often hoodies and bandanas. I have even asked and got the answer that it is protection from the sun. I also asked my wife, who as a Dominican has most of the same habits, except she prefers to use an umbrella instead of a sweater or coat. The amount of skin damage, especiality to poor women from the sun is huge, and yes even dark skinned people suffer from over exposure to the sun. Dematologists do great business here. I myself never wear shorts except to swim or go to the beach, however I don't like wearing longsleeves unless I have to. In the end people do what works for them. I don't suffer during the day from the heat even though I am Canadian, but I thankfully have a/c in the bedroom for sleeping. Jarabacoa is usually 4-5 degrees cooler than Santiago/la vega but it still gets pretty hot and humid in the spring and summer months.
    I used to be a beer drinking beach guy, but my doc nixed that about ten years ago.

I learned to wear t-shirts with long sleeve wrinkle resistant shirts a long time ago.

A welcome relief from mosquitoes.

12. Likes Caonabo, bob saunders, Russell liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Being a Polymer Guru I can only agree that products laced with Polyester are better for tropical climes.
    However, if you can source ''Linen'' clothing the effect will be so very pleasant.
    I had a Linen suit made for me when I worked in Central America; the stile was Safari ; and served me well for a decade... machine washable...... The heat bothers my DR Family but for some reason I adjust within a week.summer or winter.
    They wear warm clothing with sweaters in Winter at 25c.... I wear shorts and rayon shirts. No linen available.
    In summer I wear the same.
    Much like Canadians, who are notorious talking about the weather, Dominicans are either hot, humid or cold...I have never heard them say the day is perfect.... same thing back home.
    And so the quest for the perfect weather...... in my 2100 sq ft home in RD there is no air conditioning.
    But in cities the concrete and pavement becomes a 'heat sink' and continues to boil much into the night.
    I see many people lying on ceramic floors to get cool... interesting.
    Sipping a glass of ice and rum with a touch of lemon under the shade of the mango tree is as good as it gets.(for me)

14. Likes bob saunders liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Darkening your skin with sun is a newly acquired fashion - in global terms.

In bygone days, women had parasols to keep the sun off.

The paler your natural skin color - black, coffee or white - was a status indicator .
    Darker meant outdoor labor...

Now status comes from having darker skin in winter... a reversal of sorts.

Me?
    Read my thread Medical Stuff to see why I cover up.

Funny, because one of my Dominicans friends commented once that I looked like a Gringo -- short sleeves w/ short pants
    Naturally, I responded - I am a Gringo !!

NOt any more ... all long sleeves & pants.

My food prices have dropped significantly,
    I get more respect
    My Spanish is better understood

16. Likes bob saunders, Russell liked this post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456