Internet in Puerto Plata Prinvince for Business - Good location ?

tkapias

May 16, 2018
We will open a new office in the Dominican Republic in the coming months. :D

Our activities are mainly related to technical operations for customers in France, it implies permanent and stable internet connections.

We are thinking of locating ourselves in the province of Puerto Plata but have not yet chosen the location or performed an onsite test.

A few people informed us about a bad experience with the service providers or the quality of the network infrastructure in the province, but many years ago, I need new information.

Could you give me your impressions or technical information on your experience there ?

- Your location in the province of Puerto Plata
- Internet Service Provider
- Type of offer (ADSL, SDSL, Fiber, Wifi, 4G ...)
- Average bandwidth
- Latency observed towards the international (France if possible)
- History of network interruptions and their duration
- Availability of the network carrier support

I would especially like to know if with 2 links I can guarantee availability 24/7, with which operator and in which locality of preference.

The best would be to have tips for 2 fibers of 10MB on 2 different carriers.

Thank you in advance :)

Feb 7, 2007
If you can set up in the area where Claro Fiber Optics is offered, you will be good. It's very reliable. Speeds up to 100 mbps. Latency to Europe: around 150 ms. For example I just did a traceroute to 37.59.158.108 which is OVH in France and got 138 ms. Plans offered on fiber: 10/1, 20/2, 40/5, 100/10 mbps. Monthly price: for 100/10 mbps is 2595 pesos + 30% tax. You can get a service if Claro has a fiber optics terminal within 500 feet of your place.

You could also request Altice Business Class Fiber Optics Internet. You get a SLA, dedicated response team, etc. For more mission critical applications. They have substantial fiber optics network country-wide. You can get a service even if Altice does not have a fiber running very close by your place, as they use dedicated trunk fiber for business customers (no fiber optics street terminals) they can extend the fiber to your place. Installation costs in such case are very reasonable. Though don't expect them to run 20,000 feet of dedicated fiber to you for the standard maximum installation cost (standard maximum installation cost is 10,000 pesos, which usually covers around 1 -1.5 km, frequently installation is free). You can get dedicated symmetrical or semi-dedicated asymmetrical service. Assymetrical plans offered 50/5 and 100/10 mbps. Asymmetrical 100/10 mbps is 12,999 pesos per month + 30% tax. This is much higher than Claro, but you get more coverage (remember Claro fiber optics can only be installed if there is FO terminal near by) and business class service and service level agreements.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018
I have an office in sosua that I just opened two months ago, I am using Delancer as internet service
I am using speed 3/1.5 mb I have no problem with their service ( although I only have 3 people working in the office making phone calls and using the computers for online work I think delancer service is good as long they give you a new modem and run a new line in your office you will should be fine, and an other very important thing is make sure whatever building office you choose to rent make sure they have backup generator in place as we loose power a lot in Sosua

delancerguy

Feb 15, 2018
delancer

Just some words from Cable Delancer (aka Cable Atlantico):
we are Tier 1 ISP that is said that we are directly connected with a backbone in Florida (20ms).
We offer consumer level GPON (FTTH) lines with plans starting 1/1 and going up to 200/40Mbps. We also have business plans with symmetric bandwidth plans available ready to meet your needs.
We can also provide you with leased line at very competitive price.
if you have any questions don't hesitate to PM me.

NOTE: i just tried to ping 37.59.158.108 and i get 131.9ms.

delancerguy

Feb 15, 2018
Can you please clarify what exactly you mean by "very competitive price"? What are your monthly fees for 10, 20, 40 and 100 Mbit plans? Thanks.

We preparing summer special, i will post it in a couple of days

delancerguy

Feb 15, 2018
Can you please clarify what exactly you mean by "very competitive price"? What are your monthly fees for 10, 20, 40 and 100 Mbit plans? Thanks.

we have or in the process of upgrading our current client base to higher speeds.
those prices are for new clients getting fiber optic internet and tv service (you got to have at least basic tv service), prices have tax included in them:

1Mbps/1Mbps = 500.00 RD$
10Mbps/2Mbps = 1650.00 RD$
20Mbps/4Mbps = 2950.00 RD$
40Mbps/4Mbps = 5700.00 RD$
101Mbps/12Mbps = 12000.00 RD$

Plans 10Mbps+ offer unshared ip address.
if you like to have internet service without tv plan add 200.00 RD$ to the price
we also offer IP addresses with US geolocation for 200.00 RD$ a month to be added to your selected plan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
we have or in the process of upgrading our current client base to higher speeds.
those prices are for new clients getting fiber optic internet and tv service (you got to have at least basic tv service), prices have tax included in them:

1Mbps/1Mbps = 500.00 RD$
10Mbps/2Mbps = 1650.00 RD$
20Mbps/4Mbps = 2950.00 RD$
40Mbps/4Mbps = 5700.00 RD$
101Mbps/12Mbps = 12000.00 RD$

Plans 10Mbps+ offer unshared ip address.
if you like to have internet service without tv plan add 200.00 RD$ to the price
we also offer IP addresses with US geolocation for 200.00 RD$ a month to be added to your selected plan.

Thanks for a useful info, one question, can you stop/suspend the service and restart it when you want, like you can do with their Delancer TV Cable contract !?