Menu suggestions

CharlieD

Dec 30, 2016
Hi guys a friend of mine is changing his restaurant menu and is looking for suggestions. What are your favourite menu choices and what would you like to see on a menu that you don’t see here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It might help to know if this is a lunch place, a sit down dinner place or a grab and run home to scarf it all down while watching reruns of The Crossing on TV place.

Items considered foreign comfort food using locally available ingredients not always an easy task to pull off consistently. I'm still looking for that "to die for" lofty crust pizza with sauce that tastes like pizza sauce, baked pies with a flaky pie crust or even a traditional chicken pot pie.

My days of going out to a restaurant to eat are all but over except on special occasions. I like places where I can go and pickup more food that I should be allowed to eat in one sitting and bring it home to enjoy at my leisure for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm a dumb foreigner - I have an indoor kitchen and I detest cooking in the heat. The BBQ gets repetitive in short order.

One menu concept not to copy, the relocated Chinese Food place, with a wall covered with pictures of food items they never have on offer. Alas I go there because I can get 12 vegetarian (i'm not a vegetarian) pseudo egg rolls and 4 or 5 big containers of various other items. It's not the greatest Chinese food, but it's the best we've got at the moment and it does fit my preferred consumption model.

While I'm at it, I'll go a bit further. I'm tired of walking through Playero looking at all the items I'm not interested in eating or going to the lengths to prepare. I'd like a place where I can go and subscribe to a meal plan. Every few days, I pickup fully prepared meals that just need to be reheated in the microwave. I like Turkey but don't need to heat up the house for several hours to cook one as an example.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
It’s in Sosua the type of restaurant it becomes depends on the menu suggestions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is extremely vague. Since you say Sosúa, are you aiming for Dominican, expat or tourist customers? Menu suggestions would depend upon projected clientele. Expats would probably love the sort of things it is hard to find in the the DR, decent steaks and hamburgers, roasts, good ethnic like Tex-Mex or Chinese. That menu would be very unlikely to interest most Dominican customers who would prefer things like puerco asado, moro, pollo guisado and pastelón. Tourists would likely enjoy some "local cuisine" and some "things from home." For them, pizza, wings, pollo al carbón, chuletas a la plancha would probably be the sort of food they would enjoy.

You really need to decide on your target clientele first.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
"Items considered foreign comfort food using locally available ingredients not always an easy task to pull off consistently. I'm still looking for that "to die for" lofty crust pizza with sauce that tastes like pizza sauce, baked pies with a flaky pie crust or even a traditional chicken pot pie."

Have you tried the pies at Taberna el Conde on Fridays? They have delicious pies that are now individual pies as opposed to the slab pies they used to make. You get a soup or salad as a starter and pie with choice of hand cut English style chips, mashed potato or sauteed potatoes and veg for 345 pesos. I go every Friday for pie!

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
There are so many places in Sosua offering pizza and Italian food so stay away from that. There are a couple off fantastic places for Indian dishes such as Taberna el Conde (Indian specials on Monday nights) and Margots (their mixed dish for two is incredible). Too many places offering the same type of food, wings, burgers, ribs etc. You should really take some time and think about this one as a large majority of new restaurants close within one year. Look at the food the major restaurants that have been here for years have been serving and don't try and compete with them. One thing that Sosua really lacks is a restaurant where you can get something on the run, fresh baguette sandwiches, filled croissants, wraps, paninis, pies etc. That is something that is really missing here but the problem with that is the potential food wastage as many of the ingredients only have a short shelf life, especially the bread.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I've heard that Nick serves a good pie. Unfortunately, I have not yet been able to sample the wares. When I do occasionally pass by, restaurant is usually full and I'm not much into crowds these days.

Someday the moon and the stars will align I'm sure.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Order one to go....as you say, he is nearly always full. But it is well worth it. Also, if you like tacos Nick serves the best tacos in town on Tuesday nights. I was there this Tuesday with my family, we ate a lot of churrasco and shrimp tacos!!

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
We are talking about Taberna el Conde in Sosua, located directly opposite Helados Bon. The owner is an Irish guy named Nick. Awesome food, awesome prices. A favorite of mine and my family.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Taberna El Conde - At the three corners of Dr Rosen, Dr Martinez and the Playa Alicia access road in El Batey just north of Bailee's same side of the street as the Claro office.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
The Chinese place is doing well because of the foot traffic. That, and those that go to gaze longingly at the chinese food artwork on the wall.

If you're going to have similar foot traffic, I think a burrito place would do well. Ingredients would be ready, and a server would custom load the burrito for the customer. Think Chipotle on a smaller scale.

Pork, chicken, beef, tomatoe, lettuce, etc etc ready to load each burrito per the customers desires. They can grab the burritos, wrapped in a paper cover, and keep walking. Easy walking food. A small variety of dipping sauces.

Small plastic cups for the dipping sauce, that they can throw in the street later when empty.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There is a taco/burrito place in the old Gordito's location but the offerings are somewhat expensive for what you get. I've only had the tacos there and they weren't as good as Gordito's. I will try their burritos at some point .