Will my kids need their Dominican passports?

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
We are planning a trip to the UK and the thought occurred to me that there could be a problem when we want to leave the country with our kids.

Our twins were born in the DR to their Dominican mother and me a UK citizen.  They already have their British passports, but not their Dominican passports.  Although their British passports clearly state place of birth as the DR.

They have never left the DR.  Will the DR immigration staff allow them to leave with just their British passports or will they insist that they need their Dominican passports?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
According to the rules, if their place of birth is stated as the DR they will not need a DR passport.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Take the Dominican passport also. This way you will have no problem with any overstay fee. Or a cedula is always good to carry in out of the DR.

habi

Oct 17, 2015
This depends a bit on how old the kids are... We traveled serval times only with the Dominican birth certificate but when our child got older they told us to get a passport for the next trip... (10 years old then...).

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I would just make sure you have their birth certs with them - just in case.

Matilda

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
my kids are under 10 but always carry their birth certificates. they have their US passports have not gotten their dominican ones yet.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
This depends a bit on how old the kids are... We traveled serval times only with the Dominican birth certificate but when our child got older they told us to get a passport for the next trip... (10 years old then...).

They are six years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
We are planning a trip to the UK and the thought occurred to me that there could be a problem when we want to leave the country with our kids.

Our twins were born in the DR to their Dominican mother and me a UK citizen.  They already have their British passports, but not their Dominican passports.  Although their British passports clearly state place of birth as the DR.

They have never left the DR.  Will the DR immigration staff allow them to leave with just their British passports or will they insist that they need their Dominican passports?

I don't have a direct answer to your question, just commenting that we really dislike any potential problems while traveling, and therefore we've only ever traveled with both passports (EU/DR) and original birth certificates (one child born in the DR, one in Europe). No issues anywhere this far...

We got the DR passport for our first son when he was about 4 months old, and it was really easy and fast process. The only negative side was, that as it was his first passport, at that time we were told that the office in POP cannot issue that, but only migracion in the capital.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Definitely need the birth certificates. You don’t need the Dominican passports , but in our case they did want to see the birth certificates. They unblocked the foreign passports with those certificates. 

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Remember that just because your passport said place of birth Dominican Republic that doesnt mean they are mecesarilly Dominicans and as never left the country will be charge with the overstay fee, so make sure to have also Dominican passport to prove they are Dominicans.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Remember that just because your passport said place of birth Dominican Republic that doesnt mean they are mecesarilly Dominicans and as never left the country will be charge with the overstay fee, so make sure to have also Dominican passport to prove they are Dominicans.

That was kind of why I asked the question.  Trying to pre-empt the Dominican logic of how to make life difficult.  So if your theory is correct, the Dominican immigration dept don't discriminate if you entered the country by plane or vagina.  You are an overstaying illegal!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Well, husband of one of my wife's sisters is a Spaniard. They have a 2 year old boy, born in the DR that has a Spanish passport.

They did travel to Spain, back here and again to Spain without issues and only with the kids Spanish passport. But, one never knows, when I travel with my kids I will have the birth certificates with me and I will get just in case Dominican passports for them too, because, true, HERE one NEVER knows and better safe than sorry.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Update:

That was the 2 year old. Their 9 y/o daughter was required having a Dominican passport too. Maybe it depends on how old the kids are? No idea...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If your place of birth is the DR but you hold a foreign passport you are entitled by enter and leave the DR as a Dominican. Having said that, a couple of people I know in that situation have had to insist and explain the law to immigration officials so it's best to have something up your sleeve like a birth certificate, as mentioned earlier.

Dr_Taylor

Oct 18, 2017

The easiest course is to possess both passports. Leave and enter the DR on the DR passports, and enter and leave the UK on the UK passport. You do not want to miss your flight by "drawing the straw" that does not understand the law.

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
My son was born in the DR and has a Canadian passport. We regularly travel with only his Canadian passport. I always bring a birth certificate with me just in case, but we have never had a problem. It is not necessary to have a Dominican passport if you have the birth certificte proving that they are Dominican citizens. We have never paid any overstay fees or been questioned about it.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Travelling with both Parents? If so, UK Passport (or U.S.) is all you need and they will NOT ever have to pay an overstay fee, they are of the blood, as it so states on their Passport. Can't believe all the guessing here.
Travel with just one Parent for the first time and then you'll need permission papers from the Mom but at no point will they ever need a Dominican Passport.