Queen of Spain Arrives in Santo Domingo

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
As is the case every single year (many years it happens multiple times), a member of the Spanish royal family is on Dominican soil, this time Queen Letizia Ortiz. The most interesting aspect of this visit is, among the important people, she will visit a humble Dominican woman from Azua. Queen Letizia planned the visit to this humble Dominican woman before she left Spain.

Arrival of Her Heighness at the Hotel El Embajador in Santo Domingo. Please, notice who else is there right now too (he pops up at 3:24.)

[video=youtube;-ZELKJnkt9M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZELKJnkt9M[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This is the humble Dominican woman Queen Letizia included in her itinerary since the time she met her in Madrid and heard her experience as a humble businesswoman in Azua. Notice that the Dominican woman is not required to go to Santo Domingo to meet with Queen Letizia, but rather Queen Letizia will be going to her humble home in Azua.

[video=youtube;BH-Lmz3U6P0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BH-Lmz3U6P0[/video]

Her Highness will also visit Haiti and meet with the Haitian Prime Minister.

What a difference makes Spain.

Everytime the royal family of Spain visits the DR, I always ask: How long ago did a member of the highest political spheres of France visit Haiti? Exactly. These small gestures (or lack of when it comes to Haiti and France) speaks volumes!

As the years go by, my dislikeness for the French government simply grows and grows.

Her Highness will also visit the various projects in the DR and Haiti that the Cooperación Española (Spanish Cooperation) is doing in various parts of the island to benefit poor people.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
"Please, notice who else is there right now too (he pops up at 3:24.)"

Saw "him", but who is that?

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Today Queen Letizia went to Monte Plata to check up on a potable water project that's being put in place by the Spanish government. Her Highness will also meet with Danilo Medina later today and visit other projects.

[video=youtube;3gCviBs_7Xc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gCviBs_7Xc[/video]

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Her Highness arrival at the National Palace. She’s the second Spanish queen to visit the Dominican Republic’s National Palace.

The first was Queen Sofía during the first visit that any Spanish monarchs made abroad for diplomatic reasons in history. During that first diplomatic trip abroad of the Spanish king and queen, they decided it was fitting to start with a tour of Spanish America and the very first stop was Santo Domingo, the first city founded by the Spaniards outside of Spain and in America. Before King Juan Carlos I and Queen Sofía, the Spanish monarchs never left Spain for diplomatic reasons. Its also important to exalt that Santo Domingo was given a preference to be the first stop, above more important cities in Europe or America. A symbolic gesture that says a lot, IMO.

More info (in Spanish and with photos) of that historic event: La primera visita a América de SM Juan Carlos I y Sofía, Reyes de España .

[video=youtube;AsrwTSclkdM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsrwTSclkdM[/video]

Tarheel

Dec 19, 2005
Everyone is so humble I want to cry. Where is the clean water in the DR. I want to go there with a humble mindset.

Your humble servant, Tarheel.

PS I hate royals no matter where they come from.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The first was Queen Sofía

there was a short account of this visit today on one of the radio stations and the presenter mentioned that some high rank politico addressed sofia as "doña reyna".

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
Everyone is so humble I want to cry. Where is the clean water in the DR. I want to go there with a humble mindset.

Blame Franco for being a cuck at the last minute.

Sep 4, 2012

Spain took everything from the DR, slaved the Tainos, killed them later but yet your highness this and your highness that....lol

The country is still a colony 500 years later.....c'mmon!

Natu

Jan 20, 2013
Guess who gives a f**k!!

I'll give you a hint.. It's the opposite of "everyone" :)

And im dominican btw.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
there was a short account of this visit today on one of the radio stations and the presenter mentioned that some high rank politico addressed sofia as "doña reyna".
I'm not surprised by that. If you notice in the video when she arrives at the National Palace, no one followed the proper protocol for saluting a queen. The queen herself seem to have taken it all in stride. I guess she said to herself "when in Rome..."

Anyway, she's a very beautiful and elegant woman. I'm sure any of the guys that knew about the proper way to greet a queen simply forgot upon seeing her for the first time. It happens. :cheeky:

Lets see what happens when she crosses the border and meet the Haitian politicians. The DR could be embarrassed if the Haitian politicians show a greater cultural level, assuming politicians have at least a little bit of vergüenza. That's a very big and hopeful assumption, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.