acupuncture practitioner search

drhanson

May 17, 2018
I am very interested in locating anyone that is practicing Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine in the DR; I am looking to move abroad soon (to the DR) and will want to practice there as I will be licensed myself in the profession very soon. I found some older posts that referred to this subject, but have had no luck with my follow-up. Just need to know what legal requirements are necessary --if someone has contacts to the "medical board" or any other link where I can search myself that would be great! I have been online for weeks trying to find the "department" that handles these regulations--I have come up empty-handed.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I am very interested in locating anyone that is practicing Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine in the DR; I am looking to move abroad soon (to the DR) and will want to practice there as I will be licensed myself in the profession very soon. I found some older posts that referred to this subject, but have had no luck with my follow-up. Just need to know what legal requirements are necessary --if someone has contacts to the "medical board" or any other link where I can search myself that would be great! I have been online for weeks trying to find the "department" that handles these regulations--I have come up empty-handed.

Have you ever been to the DR? Do you speak Spanish or other languages besides English? You realize you will need to apply for residency before you can work in the DR? This takes 6-12 months and will cost you a minimum of $1500 usd. Where are you coming from? You probably need to come to the DR for a week or two so that you can talk to people directly. This is a big decision to make based on information from the internet. Good luck and good travels.

drhanson

May 17, 2018
Thank you LTSteve,
I appreciate the insight--I have just started my research on possibly relocating to the DR so if seeking information on the internet seems careless, well, I have to start somewhere right? I am on a three-year-plan at the moment, so I have time to apply for a residency, etc. There have been a lot of obstacles brought to my attention on this; I guess what I can take away from this is that the DR is probably not very welcoming of someone like me, or my type of work? Just out of curiosity, what type of person/career is more suited to the DR? I have been reading, searching and conversing with many people (through several different sources) that relocated to the DR for short-term and also those that have stayed long-term, but haven't heard of one specific type of industry that fits better than others. I look forward to hearing from you,
D

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Go to Gordito's in Sosua - Cabarete

They'll direct you to an acupuncturist from FAL who has set up shop nearby

All English speaking and a good acupuncturist - says my wife

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I would think the first step would be to see if your skill set is in demand in this country. Have you done any market research?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Thank you LTSteve,
I appreciate the insight--I have just started my research on possibly relocating to the DR so if seeking information on the internet seems careless, well, I have to start somewhere right? I am on a three-year-plan at the moment, so I have time to apply for a residency, etc. There have been a lot of obstacles brought to my attention on this; I guess what I can take away from this is that the DR is probably not very welcoming of someone like me, or my type of work? Just out of curiosity, what type of person/career is more suited to the DR? I have been reading, searching and conversing with many people (through several different sources) that relocated to the DR for short-term and also those that have stayed long-term, but haven't heard of one specific type of industry that fits better than others. I look forward to hearing from you,
D

What is your other set of skills(qualifications) to go with your acupuncture? You could contact Students International. They have a REHABILITATION CLINIC set up in Jarabacoa and they have teams of students, as well as qualified physiotherapists coming and going all the time, with a resident Physio in place to run things. It would be a good way to check things out for 6 weeks of your life.

drhanson

May 17, 2018
Thanks for the info--I will look into the Students International program. The industry I have been in for several years is Insurance, so I don't have any supplemental skills to my Acupuncture training. I appreciate your feedback!
D

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Thank you LTSteve,
D

The DR is a very diverse job market, however coming here to find a job that will pay you a living wage is difficult unless you have your own business plans and the money to get it off the ground. It is possible to live here as a foreigner but it would be difficult to get established on your own. One of the posters here gave you the name of a person who currently has a acupuncture practice. I would try to get a hold of him/her and find out all you can about his situation. You will probably have to make a trip to the DR to see it for yourself and get the feel of what daily life might be like. Planning, research and boots on the ground is the key. If you have no Spanish skills you will be behind the eight ball on day one. Are you bilingual in any other languages? I can't stress enough to make a trip to the DR to see it first hand. My wife and I had been coming to the DR for 25 years before we decided to buy a condo and live there for seven months of the year. We did this for about 6 years. We have moved on but there were few surprises when we decided to make the move, however there is still a learning curve. Good luck and good travels.