That time again. Temporal Residency Renewal

Beachboy

Apr 29, 2018
I started the procedure for renewing my Temporal Residencia (RT-9) for the 4th time last week (13th May). The renewal process cannot commence until 30 days prior to present card expiry date.

Now, you have options on three Insurance Companies to select in obtaining the Repatriation Insurance. I used ACE (kind of like Insurance brokers same as back home) in my area located in Friusa (near Palla Pizza) another one in Punta Cana Village (down the road from Wendy’s on the other side). They gave me a small Dominicana Ins. brochure (I filled out the back page questions), took it as indicated to Popular Bank showed the bank clerk, she wanted my ID (Canadian passport, Cedula) paid fee of 5,460.20RD. The bank teller gave me the receipt. Went back to ACE in Friusa, gave the lady the receipt, Canadian passport, cedula, and residency card, she copied all, did some typing and printing, 15 mins later I had my new “Dominicana” repatriation Insurance certificate in my hand and on my way home.

Next went to BanReservas asked for a Certification of Penales paid 600RD. Asked if anything was new as I understand people have had issues on the Servicios Procuraduria website printing the certificate. The bank teller replied that if I gave my Canadian passport as ID then I could not print my certificate direct online. However, if I gave my Cedula as I.D. (which I did) I can print myself online. I had no problems printing my certificate online later, I stopped at a photo store got my two photographs taken 2” x 2”.

Went online to the Migracion website DGM (May 15th) selected renovacion of temporal residencia (RT-9) clicked on location as Bavaro, uploaded my application letter (Spanish), Cedula, Residencia Card, Insurance Cert, Penales Cert, Passport, and 2 photos - all accepted, next text page online says en evaluacion.
Waited until May 22nd, received email receipt ready, went online printed the receipt on DGM website, then advised to proceed to submit all original documents to DGM office in Bavaro.

May 23rd visited DGM office in Bavaro, although they could accept my documents and pay the fee, there is no VIP service, we were told the process can take 3 weeks before I received an email to go to the DGM office in Santo Domingo to have the residence card photo taken at that time and receive the new card. As I am leaving DR on June 14th this would not work, so have to go to SD, thru’ the lineup procedures to hand in my documents, line up again to make payment plus VIP fee (same day service) line up for photo, and wait to receive new card, I was hoping by using Bavaro DGM office to short circuit the long waits. This would work if you have no time constrictions during your renewal process. If this helps anyone I'm happy.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I just renewed my temporary last month. Unfortunately, going to the local DGM office doesn't really "short-circuit" anything. The only step you avoid is going to the payment window but, like you found out, there is no VIP service that way, so it could actually take you longer.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I just renewed my temporary last month. Unfortunately, going to the local DGM office doesn't really "short-circuit" anything. The only step you avoid is going to the payment window but, like you found out, there is no VIP service that way, so it could actually take you longer.

It certainly took us longer. It was as if nobody told the people in STQ that we could pay in another office. All we needed was pictures, and the card. It took 5 hours.
On the other hand the people that paid the VIP were in the same group as us so I am beginning to think they just want 5 hours of your time.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
So the costs are 5,460 + 600 = 6,060 RD to Renew (more to obtain original) residency for a year?

I guess if you are retired the time spent is a pain in the a** but not too much of an issue however since I work that time would cost me considerably more that 6,060 RD.

Thank you for convincing me that continuing my overstays until absolutely necessary is without a doubt the right move.

Beachboy

Apr 29, 2018
Sorry Garyexpat, there's more, don't forget about the 6000RD payable at DGM in Santo Domingo for receiving your renewal card with VIP service.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
It certainly took us longer. It was as if nobody told the people in STQ that we could pay in another office. All we needed was pictures, and the card. It took 5 hours.
On the other hand the people that paid the VIP were in the same group as us so I am beginning to think they just want 5 hours of your time.

There's really only 4 steps at DGM - deposit your documents, pay, foto and finger prints, and pick up your card. Each of those steps except for the foto and prints takes about two minutes or less at the window. I was last in a group of about 12 for the foto and prints so that took about 40 minutes. How you end up sitting around for 3-5 hours is a total mystery, but that's usually what it takes.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
So the costs are 5,460 + 600 = 6,060 RD to Renew (more to obtain original) residency for a year?

I guess if you are retired the time spent is a pain in the a** but not too much of an issue however since I work that time would cost me considerably more that 6,060 RD.

Thank you for convincing me that continuing my overstays until absolutely necessary is without a doubt the right move.

I though you were the boss. Doesn't the boss get paid whether he is there or not?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Don't forget there is also a medical, police report and the cedula once you have the residency card. Ours was the second 4 year permanent so it might have slightly different costs then a temporary.
Our total cost was approx $16,500 pesos each for a 4 year renewal and a 4 year cedula.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The insurance is $115US - last time I saw it.

Renewal costs for permanent --- medical incl should be about the same as temp

About $500US

Total just over $600 -- rough calculation

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Do yourself a big favor and get off the merry go round. Get citizenship after you get permanent residency. That is well worth it.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Car and property titled in her  name with no debt
Money in the bank , 100,000 pesos minimum
Born in Rep Dom

Tall order for most maids
Your friend had a trick.... or was closer that maid than we know 

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Car and property titled in her  name with no debt
Money in the bank , 100,000 pesos minimum
Born in Rep Dom

Tall order for most maids
Your friend had a trick.... or was closer that maid than we know 

You are right. The trick was the guy I sent him to for citizenship. None better anywhere. But that was years ago.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They were using paid signatories until early this year when that trick was outlawed.

In the middle of my application 

It was about $600 for that signature... those guys are SOL now.... 
no more paying off the Jeepeta 

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
I though you were the boss. Doesn't the boss get paid whether he is there or not?

I don't know if you ever owned a business but "time is money" applies to the boss as well. Yes, cash flow from existing clients will continue to come in however the business doesn't run itself and I am very hands on regarding acquiring new customers.

You seem to be implying that I am fabricating my story. You want my tax I.D. for my Wyoming based businesses?

Any more questions?

Stripe

Apr 15, 2015
Hi. I am getting ready to renew my temporary residency for the first time in August. Is another medical exam required for this? Thanks.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I don't know if you ever owned a business but "time is money" applies to the boss as well. Yes, cash flow from existing clients will continue to come in however the business doesn't run itself and I am very hands on regarding acquiring new customers.

You seem to be implying that I am fabricating my story. You want my tax I.D. for my Wyoming based businesses?

Any more questions?

I am not implying anthing other than you seem to spend quite a bit of time complaining about why you wont get a residency. You have a business in the DR. Being a resident usually makes having a business easier. The process to become a resident is neither complicated or expensive and overall not that time consuming.