OBE (out -of-body experience)

JROD

Jan 3, 2002
For 5 long years, I have kept this to myself, but after watching a program the other day, I will now share with you this experience. I will try to keep it as short as possible:

It was on a Saturday about 9:am (I like to sleep late on week-ends) It all started when I began to feel a tingling all over my body as if a had a zillion ants on my body. All of a sudden I could not move my legs or arms. I was really scared. Then it happened. My legs started going up (I could not control the movement). I cried out to my kids and wife, but no sound came from my mouth. I could hear the children play in the next room. My wife was with them. I was in the state for about 5 minutes and when it ended, it took me from 15 to 20 minutes to recover myself and to move on my own.

Can someone explain to me this horrible experience? Some may LOL and say this is all made up. It's ok with me, but it happened to me and that's all it matters.

Thank You !

JROD

gonzaga

Mar 19, 2002
I have heard of this and it's called and you may think this is funny, but it's refer to as an old hag. It appears that you are somewhere between a deep sleep and half awake. No know reason for it. You are trying to speak but are unable to, the part about lifting you legs I've never heard off.

I know of two friends who this has happend to them, one was kind of scary where they could see someone standing over them, but could not scream or talk even when they tried, or pick out of the face.

My understanding is that if you experience this again, just stay relaxed and it will pass. What seems like forever, is only a few seconds/minutes. The older generation may know more of this.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
You've got the right idea....

without getting too technical (not sure I could remember it all anyway but I watched a very informative documentary on it last year) what gonzaga said is correct.....
This occurs when you are in a lucid dreaming state.....not awake but not asleep either. Nothing to worry about unless you begin to have night terrors.....This is when you seem to be awake to those around you but in reality you a deep asleep. People who have night terrors frequently become violent and dangerous to those around them.

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Not that I am trying to rest any merit to your experience, but... I have had a few Out of Mind experiences.
ponder.gif
Those are even freakier. Of course I always blame it on my frequent overdoses of caffeine. ...as I said, I am just in Goofy Mode tonight.

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
I also believe it could be brought on by subconcious anxiety (that's why when you scream nothing comes out).... I would look this up under anxiety related insomnia...

Last edited:

sjh

aka - shadley
Jan 1, 2002
www.geocities.com
I have a close friend who experiences something similar.

In this case the person is convinced that they are up and awake, but are in fact asleep and in bed. She had them for a while then they went away. During this time she also experienced nightmares.

hbernard

Apr 18, 2002
Astral projection

Just to ad up and the so call "out of body exp." many immate who are presently serving long sentence in federal pen. are mastering this technics to evade every days lonliness. by becoming in a total relax state your physical body can go to sleep while your mental is fully awake. it is a freightnen situation because you don't no what's going on. Once you nkow and overcome fears you while experience tremendous awake dreams.
go to your browser and search under ASTRAL VOYAGE.
Have fun and don't be scare J.P.

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I remember having a similar experience...but I blamed it on Barcelo y Presidente...Just kidding.

My natural father suffered a series of seven strokes before he passed away. After one of the worst he described an out of body experience where he saw the famoues light and saw several family members who had died before. One was his favourite father-in-law (He was married 5 times). He said he talked to him for a couple of minutes and then the father-in-law told him it was not his time, to go back...he woke up with the doctors feverishly working to revive him. My father, a man of little religious belief, became a believer that day.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I have experienced it many times. I hardly ever talk about because people look at me strangely. It feels very different than dreaming. One story to keep it short...We had moved back to Guelph. I like sewing and wanted to get some supplies. Friends told me about a place which had everything and the street it was on. Well I worried about finding it because back then my ex didn't let me out of the house much. LOL that's one reason he's my ex. I had this dream,I went inside a big old factory and at the entrance was a long shoot where the boxes came down. Very high ceilings. So the next day I went to the address thinking it might be in a small plaza. Turned out to be a big old factory and when I walked inside I got this strange feeling like I had been there before. Same high ceilings same shoot. Exacty like my dream. I have had the dream where I scream but nonthing comes out too. I'm trying to warn someone or call out to them. Or I'm dialing and the buttons don't work.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
El Jefe said:
I remember having a similar experience...but I blamed it on Barcelo y Presidente...Just kidding.

My natural father suffered a series of seven strokes before he passed away. After one of the worst he described an out of body experience where he saw the famoues light and saw several family members who had died before. One was his favourite father-in-law (He was married 5 times). He said he talked to him for a couple of minutes and then the father-in-law told him it was not his time, to go back...he woke up with the doctors feverishly working to revive him. My father, a man of little religious belief, became a believer that day.

The famous "light" that is seen during a near death experience is quite common but has nothing to do with God or anything else religous. Lack of oxygen to the brain has been found to be the culprit.
My father suffered from a series of strokes and heart attacks before he passed away and he saw "the Light" twice. He never confused it with God but knew that it was just hallucination brought on by oxygen depravation.

Tony C.