Los distintos países de Centroamérica

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
BBC Mundo posted this brief video today about distinct aspects of Spanish spoken in Central America.

[video]http://www.bbc.com/mundo/media-44218333[/video]

I enjoyed it! Why? In my opinion, Central America is the forgotten region in the Spanish-speaking world and more often than not all the countries (except Panama and even Costa Rica to a certain degree) get lumped together when making comparisons when it fact there are clear distinctions in speech, food and cultural aspects.

However, there are a lot of similarities too going back to history when all these countries (expect Panama) were part of La Gran Centroamérica. Therefore, they do still have a lot in common.

These expressions are new to me expect a few. Deacachimba= algo bueno. Okay. The Costa Rican mae I learned recently as well as yodito for café and the usage of vos is regional throughout the Spanish-speaking world but quite heavy in Central America.

In some countries vos is the linguistic currency vos sos= tú eres. It is a different set of verb conjugations and another form of address for You singular. It seems odd at first but easy to pick up once you understand the verb formation process. It is not necessary or even recommended for foreigners to learn voseo verb conjugations.

-MP.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Come on folks. These threads are meant to encourage discussion not a monologue.

For those of you in the DR, where you hear pretty much one accent all time with some variety do accents like those of Central America stand out and if so why? The man in the video opened the dialogue with a somewhat provocative statement:

Nosotros los nicaragüenses tenemos fama de mal hablado 

Okay that is definitely stirring the pot since it could apply to a few countries.

What makes Spanish spoken in Central America unique compared DR, PR and Cuba?

Do you know the nicknames for people in each Central American country?

1) Guatemalans are chapines

2) Hondurans are catrachos  

3) Salvadoreans are guanacos 

4) Nicaraguans are nicas  

5) Costa Ricans are ticos  

6) Panamanians are panas

-MP.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I thought it was interesting but didn't have much to add. Even though I've spent a lot of time in Central America it was a long time ago and I can't really distinguish between the accents either. As the video says there are some expressions that provide hints. I recognised some of the words like volao (also "chunche") and remember the s sound in the middle of the word being replaced by j/h in words like nosotros in El Salvador. Bicho is kid, chupar is to drink (beer).

One very Central American expression is va pues, I remember hearing it all the time. Fíjese is also a common discourse marker, not sure if it's particular to any country more than the others.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Thanks! See if you don't post that how would I or anyone know? Muy bien.

Central America is a mystery in my case specifically. I do not not speak for others. Although I have quite a bit of exposure to a few of the accents on a regular basis it is the region itself that just does not attract me much except Panama and Costa Rica. I have yet to visit the land of the Ticos. Hopefully one day.

In my opinion, their accents don't stand out. You have listen to the markers and of course know what is and what is not considered standard Spanish and then you will start to notice some key features of their speech. In my experience, Salvadorans have a noticeable accent especially from San Salvador. Once you are familiar with it you will recognize it when you hear it. Hondurans the little that I have heard sound like typical Central Americans to me. They have the same intonation as the neighbouring countries. Nicaraguans to me sound the most neutral of the group (más o menos) as well as educated Guatemalans. The ones with limited education you can tell in an instant. Costa Ricans, they are all about their colloquialisms, their expressions and their vos usage but some very good Spanish from what I have heard so far. Panama in my opinion, does not belong in this group. Their Spanish especially Panama City is just a version of Colombian coastal Spanish and it makes sense if you know the history.

The other aspect about Central America just like any region is the speech patterns are linked to the demographic aspect of each country. Therefore, speech patterns vary across each socio ethnic group. Examples: Panama, Costa Rica, Honduras, and Guatemala.

Check out this video with examples of each Central American accent:

[video=youtube;p_Sp54b6U2Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Sp54b6U2Q[/video]

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I will focus on Costa Rica for a moment since it is a popular tourist destination. However, still much about the language and culture is a mystery to many. I for one am interested in learning more about its history, culture and colloquialisms. I always say Spanish is Spanish. It is the same language across the Spanish-speaking world. Each country has its unique aspect about language and that is what I am most curious about. The typical Costa Rican speech.

Here is a fun website to get started. Some of the words expressions I know to my surprise:

https://www.caminotravel.com/costa-rican-language-most-common-expressions/

Folks, check out this list of 39 slang words used in Central America. This is fun stuff and some you will recognize. I knew quite a few especially the Panamanian words.

http://remezcla.com/lists/culture/central-american-slang/

Test yourself before looking at the meaning.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003

Here is a fun website to get started. Some of the words expressions I know to my surprise:

https://www.caminotravel.com/costa-rican-language-most-common-expressions/

Some typical Costa Rican words or expressions on the list are examples of the variety that exists in Spanish. Even if you don't know the meaning at first context can help especially when in conversation with speakers.

Examples from the list:

The typical word in Costa Rica vs other options in Spanish:

1) brete (bre-tay)
work or job
Options: trabajo, chamba

2) chunche (choon-chay)
thingamajig

Options: okay I think we all can guess what word would be used in the DR as an equivalent.

3) ¿cómo amaneció? (coh-moh ah-mahn-es-ee-oh)
how are you this morning?
Options: plenty of options here but ¿cómo amaneció? or ¿cómo amaneces? usually have context. I like to use it but in certain situations. Otherwise it is the standard Buenos días, Buen día, Buenas etc

4) estar de goma (es-tar day goh-mah)
to have a hangover
Options: In Spanish there are many ways to say hangover. It just depends on the country or region. When it Rome say what the Romans say is my thought on this word. However, tener resaca is very common.

5) güila (gwee-lah)
A güila in Costa Rica is merely a “kid”. I can go very differently in different countries in Latin America.
Options: This word is new to me. There are many ways to say kid in Latin America alone but the Costa Rican regionalism is new for me. In Latin America you hear chamaco, nene, pelaíto, or simply niño.

6) jumas (hoo-mahs)
Options: The local Costa Rican word makes sense and one can see the correlation with words in Spanish that mean tipsy... not quite drunk.

7) la choza (lah choh-sah)
Options: I think this word is used in many parts of Latin America. If a person lives in a choza don't expect a nice house or anything close to a house.

8) Macho/macha (mah-cho / mah-cha)
a blond person
Options: This local Costa Rican usage is new to me. However, I am familiar with other regionalisms in Latin America. For example, rubio/a, mono/a also mean a blond person.

9) no entender ni papa (no en-ten-der nee pah-pah)
to not understand a word
Options: the generic Spanish equivalent is: no entender ni jota.

10) pulperia (pool-pehr-ee-ah)
a small grocery store
This word is common in Central America.

Options: colmado- Caribbean Spanish, abarrotería- Panama

11) tuanis (too-ahn-ees)
“cool.”
I learned that Costa Rican word just from browsing the web.

Options: In Latin America- chévere

These are my interpretations of some of the words on the list. Anyone else have any ideas after looking at the list?

-MP.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
6) jumas (hoo-mahs)

Options: The local Costa Rican word makes sense and one can see the correlation with words in Spanish that mean tipsy... not quite drunk.
In DR Spanish, when people say 'un jumo' or 'ajumao' - does it mean just tipsy or very drunk?

7) la choza (lah choh-sah)

Options: I think this word is used in many parts of Latin America. If a person lives in a choza don't expect a nice house or anything close to a house.
It definitely does in the DR, as does bohio.

8) Macho/macha (mah-cho / mah-cha)

Options: This local Costa Rican usage is new to me. However, I am familiar with other regionalisms in Latin America. For example, rubio/a, mono/a also mean a blond person.
I heard macho/macha for blond/e in Nicaragua too although chele is more common.

9) no entender ni papa (no en-ten-der nee pah-pah)

Options: the generic Spanish equivalent is: no entender ni jota.
I've heard ni papa in other countries too. It's the polite version, of course. :D

10) pulperia (pool-pehr-ee-ah)
This word is common in Central America.

Options: colmado- Caribbean Spanish, abarrotería- Panama
Bodega too.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Just to clarify because I am not sure what your mean when you say ‘it definitely does’ in reference to my post about choza. The choza I am referring to is casa de paja y madera thus not the North American standard. The Costa Rican regionalism in the link means casa or home. 

Un jumo or jumarse means drunk as in emborracharse.

Yes, bodega is the perfect word for colmado. Sorry, Puerto Rico I forgot to add that word.

-MP.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
Years ago I travelled quite a bit to both Honduras and Costa Rica. My Spanish wasn't all that great back then to pick up on too many slang words, but I did hear "pulperia" and "la resaca" used quite often as you mentioned in your posts.

The accents there didn't sound very distinct to me(I'm sure a fluent speaker woud notice differences) as compared to, say, Argentina or Mexico.

Costan Rican spanish sounded very "neutral" and was probably the easiest Spanish for me to understand. I did notice the frequent use of the "voceo" voice - not that difficult to understand or pick up if you're interested.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I meant that choza also means a simple hut in the DR.

We are on the same page.

i heard this term in reference to being dead drunk. there is also prendido.

Those words are really local and urban. Yes, super drunk is the meaning. There are so many words in Spanish for drunk and hang over. It just depends on the country. Some of the words are really de la calle.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Years ago I travelled quite a bit to both Honduras and Costa Rica. My Spanish wasn't all that great back then to pick up on too many slang words, but I did hear "pulperia" and "la resaca" used quite often as you mentioned in your posts.

The accents there didn't sound very distinct to me(I'm sure a fluent speaker woud notice differences) as compared to, say, Argentina or Mexico.

Costan Rican spanish sounded very "neutral" and was probably the easiest Spanish for me to understand. I did notice the frequent use of the "voceo" voice - not that difficult to understand or pick up if you're interested.

The accents of Central America are more neutral in general compared to other regions but there are noted differences. A Guatemalan does not sound like a Costa Rican. Definitely not. As neutral as they are I hear the differences and you can even break up the mini region accent wise. Guatemala/ Honduras and El Salvador/ Nicaragua/ Costa Rica/ Panama- as I said before Panama does not even belong in the group at least not Panama City.

It is not voceo. It has nothing to do with voice. It is a form of address. The concept of voseo in linguistic terms is vos+ eo and the verb is vosear. The usage became obsolete in Spanish many many years ago but it still made it to the New World (aka Latin America) but not all parts. It is estimated voseo is used in 2/3 of Latin America today and not in the Caribbean (although some sources say it is used in Cuba. I will believe it when I hear it). It is an alternate to the informal . The pronoun vos replaces tú in Argentina and Uruguay. As well, in some parts of Uruguay there is what is called partial voseo usage. Meaning usage of with voseo conjugation vs true voseo conjugation meaning the pronoun vos + a voseo conjugation.

Compare:

Vos tenés- true voseo conjugation

tenés- partial voseo conjugation

-MP.

Last edited:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I always thought the slang word for borracho was ‘ahumado’ from ‘humo’ instead of ‘ajumado’. 

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
..... Costan Rican spanish sounded very "neutral" and was probably the easiest Spanish for me to understand. I did notice the frequent use of the "voceo" voice - not that difficult to understand or pick up if you're interested.

I just wanted to remind you in Spanish:

La voz = voice in Spanish

The word comes from the pronoun vos not the noun la voz.

-MP.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
I always thought the slang word for borracho was ‘ahumado’ from ‘humo’ instead of ‘ajumado’. 

When in doubt always consult a resource (or maybe you were not doubting but still... )

Even the RAE has the differences and I say even the RAE because it takes long for entries to be approved and updates to appear.

The verbs:

ahumar and jumarse are two different words. That is the answer right there.

Ahumar

1. tr. Poner al humo algo, hacer que lo reciba.
2. tr. Someter al humo algún alimento para su conservación o para comunicarle cierto sabor.
3. tr. Llenar de humo. U. m. c. prnl.

Jumarse

De juma.
1. prnl. vulg. embriagarse (‖ perder el dominio de sí por beber en exceso). U. m. en Col., C. Rica, Cuba, Ec., Hond., Méx., Nic., Pan., R. Dom. y Ven.

The noun:

jumo/a

De jumera; cf. ajumarse 'emborracharse'.
1. adj. C. Rica y Ven. ebrio (‖ embriagado por la bebida).
2. f. coloq. jumera.

Dv8,

Look at the definition of jumarse as per the RAE.

In the first line it says:

prnl. vulg. embriagarse

That is what I meant by some of these words are de la calle.

-MP.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Here is a wonderful resource that provides details about el voseo and the usage in Costa Rica. It provides great detail about the history behind the usage and why this archaism is preserved as a form of their unique identity.

If you go back to some the old writings of XII- XVI look at the usage of voseo in Spanish literature.

kd8vvr.jpg

http://www.portlimon.com/el-voseo-en-costa-rica/

-MP.

Last edited: