Bad Fuel and Motorcycles

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
V-Stroms are as close to bulletproof machines as any on two wheels. But ALL motorcycles with EFI have the same Achilles Heel: clogged low and Hi-Pressure fuel filters causing loss of power.

These fuel filters are usually embedded in the fuel pump housing, which is usually in the fuel tank. This is not an easy road-side repair.

90% of MotoCaribe on-road mechanical issues have been fuel related.

My friend Steve Loster, the service manager at Arizona KTM, Triumph and Kawasaki in Tuscon and the guy who led our very successful tech sessions sent me a link to a specialized in-tank pre-fuel filter...and I was impressed. The demos were off-the-charts. But, as usual, sceptical. I'm not easily snookered. So I ordered 9 for our fleet and made our own test.

Take a peek:

https://vimeo.com/272240517

Bottom line: Wow! I wish These were available 10 years ago...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
RD fuel stinks....the locals tell by the smell
Me ? Not so much

All I know is my US vehicle HATES the DR regular.
If I don't mix 50-50 Premium and Regular... check engine light goes on
Never had a problem with DR cars - export models... just the US model

Looks like you've found your fix..

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
V-Stroms are as close to bulletproof machines as any on two wheels. But ALL motorcycles with EFI have the same Achilles Heel: clogged low and Hi-Pressure fuel filters causing loss of power.

These fuel filters are usually embedded in the fuel pump housing, which is usually in the fuel tank. This is not an easy road-side repair.

My friend Steve Loster, the service manager at Arizona KTM, Triumph and Kawasaki in Tuscon and the guy who led our very successful tech sessions sent me a link to a specialized in-tank pre-fuel filter...and I was impressed. The demos were off-the-charts. But, as usual, sceptical. I'm not easily snookered. So I ordered 9 for our fleet and made our own test.

Take a peek:

So, do you use this when you fill each individual tank, or do you fill a 5 gal jug and filter ahead of time?

ChelseaRose

Jul 16, 2017
WOW- great to know! Any idea how long the filter lasts? And do you use premium gas only with your bikes? I ride a Kawasaki W400 here on the island and have been looking forward to getting out for some multi-day rides and I bet this would save me some headaches!

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011

Take a peek:

Interesting! Thanks!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
So, do you use this when you fill each individual tank, or do you fill a 5 gal jug and filter ahead of time?
We installed one filter in every bike and just fill up at petrol stations.

The filters cost $85-115 depending on the bike.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I have been using a Guglatech neck filter on my KTM since day 1.

Their inline setup is even more bullet proof.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
WOW- great to know! Any idea how long the filter lasts? And do you use premium gas only with your bikes? I ride a Kawasaki W400 here on the island and have been looking forward to getting out for some multi-day rides and I bet this would save me some headaches!

For years... the older they get, the better they filter.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I drove my old '88 Trooper from Oregon to Costa Rica and I carried fuel filters with me. It didn't filter water but it was amazing the sticks and leaves and grit it filtered in Mexico and Guatemala. I'm talking about a quarter of a cup full on some fill ups. I guess the things we take for granted in North America are easy to overlook. But if this filter sits below the fuel on the tank is water still filtered ?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I drove my old '88 Trooper from Oregon to Costa Rica and I carried fuel filters with me. It didn't filter water but it was amazing the sticks and leaves and grit it filtered in Mexico and Guatemala. I'm talking about a quarter of a cup full on some fill ups. I guess the things we take for granted in North America are easy to overlook. But if this filter sits below the fuel on the tank is water still filtered ?
The water is contained in the filter. It sits right below the neck and expands into the tank, so it would not work in a car. The gas station guy today semi freaked out.