Central Bank says DR is leading in economic growth in Latin America
World Bank confirms growth to continue
Attorney General distributes RD$388 million in seized assets
Carlos Amarante to compete for PLD presidential candidacy
Attorney General: No Dominican President received Odebrecht bribes
Kids: Look after your parents
Police resist bribe of boat trip organizers
People still missing and authorities accused of doing nothing
Several drug arrests
Archbishop creates commission to investigate alleged cases of sexual abuse by clergy
First named storm no danger to the Dominican Republic
Dominican hip hop dancers to world championships in Phoenix




Central Bank says DR is leading in economic growth in Latin America
Presenting the first quarter economic performance report for 2018, the Central Bank reveals accumulated growth for January to April was up 6.7%. Monthly Economic Activity Indicator (IMAE) for April 2018 was 7.5%.

The Central Bank reports there was outstanding growth of 33.7% in April 2018 in the construction sector. Other sectors posting high growth rates were free zones with 14.7%, financial services with 10.1%, commerce 9.1%, health 9%, transport and warehousing 8.8%, local manufacturing 7.1%.

The Central Bank says the numbers position the Dominican economy as leader in economic growth in t Latin America.

https://www.bancentral.gov.do/notici...bc20180528.pdf


World Bank confirms growth to continue
The representative of the World Bank in the country, Alessandro Legrottaglie, has confirmed that the Dominican Republic is experiencing very good growth. According to the World Bank evaluations, as well as those of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) this growth will continue over the next few years, forecasts Legrottaglie.

He said that fiscal reform is the country’s main challenge to increase government revenues without affecting the most vulnerable sectors. Lagrottaglie says that there should also be a review of public spending and the best use of resources. As reported in Diario Libre, the World Bank is assisting the government in its review of spending in order to achieve better efficiency in the use of public resources.

Legrottaglie made the remarks while speaking at the opening of the Regional Workshop “Census of the 2020 round: An opportunity to generate information faced with the design of public policies and the follow up of national and international commitments” developed by the National Statistics’ Office (ONE).

https://www.diariolibre.com/portada/...endo-GH9988976


Attorney General distributes RD$388 million in seized assets
The Attorney General Office (PGR) announced that it is making available RD$388 million that had been seized in asset laundering cases. Attorney General Jean Alain Rodríguez said this is the largest single distribution of resources recovered by actions against money laundering in the history of Dominican Republic. He attributed the rapid processing of the cases and the release of the seized funds to the modernization plan underway by the Public Ministry.

Rodríguez explained that as part of this plan for a new structure to fight crime, new agencies have been created, more specialized personnel has been hired and more resources are available for training, as well as more logistical support, a new technological platform, equipment and vehicles.

Through a press release, it was reported that both the Office of the Attorney General of the Republic, the National Drug Control Agency (DNCD) and the National Drug Council (CND), to which 25% corresponds by law, each received an amount of RD$97,156,036.60 million, while the National Police was given RD$38,862,414.60 million, equivalent to 10%, and the other 15% was distributed among 25 NGOs, to which RD$58,293,621.95 million were delivered.

http://www.pgr.gob.do/2018/05/28/pro...do-de-activos/


Carlos Amarante to compete for PLD presidential candidacy
Minister of Interior and Police Carlos Amarante Baret announced on Monday, 28 May 2018 that he is resigning his position to concentrate on his campaign for the ruling Dominican Liberation Party presidential candidacy. He joins former Environment Minister Francisco Domínguez Brito, who also announced he was resigning the post to in seek the PLD candidacy for the 2020 presidential election. Amarante Baret made the announcement during an event held at the Hotel Crowne Plaza on the Malecón in Santo Domingo.

Amarante Baret is from Moca, where he was born on 3 July 1960. He graduated in law in 1984 from PUCMM. He has a Master’s degree in security and national defense. During the Medina administrations he was appointed minister of education in 2013 and then minister of interior and police in 2016. Previously he was senator for Espaillat province, general administrator of National Assets. In addition he has been the director general of the Migration Agency and president of the board at the Dominican Telecommunication’s Institute (Indotel).

http://eldia.com.do/amarante-baret-r...ncial-del-pld/


Attorney General: No Dominican President received Odebrecht bribes
According to Attorney General, Jean Alain Rodríguez, no President of the Dominican Republic has received any bribe money from Brazilian company Odebrecht. The company has admitted to paying bribes to government officers and legislators to secure contracts for state works.

Rodríguez, whose office is investigating the Odebrecht bribes case, explained that when the international treasurer of Odebrecht, Luis Eduardo Da Rocha Soares, stated that the company gave millions of dollars to those governing the Dominican Republic, he was referring to those who had held positions in the Executive Branch, and others in the Legislative Branch along with a lawyer and a private businessman.

A note published in El Nacional newspaper states that in a document submitted to Judge Francisco Ortega Polanco, Da Rocha Soares confesses that Odebrecht paid millions of dollars via businessman Ángel Rondón to those governing the country.

In the document, Da Rocha Soares states that the money was to aid the head of Odebrecht in the country, Marco Antonio Vasconcelos Cruz, to obtain contracts for several projects and millions of dollars were paid to the companies Lasham and Conansa,whose beneficiary was Ángel Rondón Rijo.

Also paid was an account of Newport Consulting Ltd, to the benefit of lawyer Conrado Pittaluga, who said he was acting in representation of former Minister of Public Works, Víctor Díaz Rúa.

http://almomento.net/procuraduria-de...s-pagados-por/


Kids: Look after your parents
The Chamber of Deputies is studying a proposed bill that calls for sanctions up to one year in prison for those children who do not look after their elderly parents. The new bill has as one of its objectives a legal mechanism to mitigate the injustices committed against parents who have given birth to, fed, educated and raised their children and when they, the parents, are the ones who need help and care, it is discovered that the children have abandoned them.

On the commission reviewing the bill are deputies Luis Sánchez and also comprises the deputies Leivin Suriel, Adalgisa Pujols, Gloria Reyes, Sandra Abinader, Isabel De La Cruz, Lya Díaz de Díaz, among others.

Currently, according to article 205 of the Dominican Civil Code, the children are obliged to attend to the needs of their parents. Law 352-98 on the Protection of Elderly People says that family members are obliged to provide for the nutritional needs of the aging.

https://listindiario.com/la-republic...-envejecientes
https://www.conape.gob.do/transparen...ley_352-98.pdf


Police resist bribe of boat trip organizers
The head of the National Police, congratulated five agents that didn’t accept a bribe for RD$150,000 so a group of would be criminals could continue with a planned illegal boat trip to Puerto Rico. Major General Ney Aldrin Bautista Almonte congratulated 49-year old Police captain Luis Ernesto Ruiz Peña, second lieutenant 48-year old Pascual Morillo Encarnación, sargeant 29-year old Iván Elpidio Rodríguez Peralta, and corporal 24-year old Ariel Amador Galván, and policeman 29-year old Bastardo Feliciano Amador. The Police said the group was offered the money to allow the boat trip to continue.

The Police distributed a press release telling the story of the honesty of the policemen.

The Police explained the agents were warned by radio about a freight container truck and a SUV that were traveling suspiciously along 25 de Febrero Avenue, in Santo Domingo East, and ordered the vehicles to stop. When the freighter was opened, the Police verified that a motorboat with an outboard motor was transported. At that moment, they said they were offered the bribe to enable the human trafficking deal to continue.

http://www.policianacional.gob.do/ci...icia-nacional/


People still missing and authorities accused of doing nothing
There are many people who disappeared during 2017 who have not been located but their families still have hope they will be found alive and well.

Abraham José Báez Carrión left his home in Boca Chica on Tuesday, 11 April 2017. The nine-year old boy suffered from autism, and does not speak. When he left he was barefoot and had no shirt on, only wearing black shorts. Anyone with information is asked to call 809-839-6342.

José Modesto and Jerry Carrión were two friends, seen for the last time on 23 March 2017.

Modesto Reynoso, aged 37, was a motorcycle taxi driver and he left to find his friend 24 year old Carrion to take him from the Cristo Redentor cemetery to Los Alcarrizos. The two men have not been seen since, and according to Modesto’s sister, Leonor Reynoso, the authorities have done nothing to find them. Anyone with information is asked to call 809-984-8792 and 829-878-3887.

Rosa María Mora, aged 65, left home for church at four in the morning of 23 November 2017 and has not been seen since. She lived with her husband Praxedes Alcántara, in the Honduras sector, near the Plan Piloto. Anyone with information is asked to call 809-377-7832.

https://listindiario.com/la-republic...ado-respuestas


Several drug arrests
The National Drug Control Agency (DNCD) announced on 27 May 2018, it has seized 14 packages of cocaine at the Punta Cana International Airport in La Altagracia province. A Polish man was found to be in possession of the drugs in his suitcase when passing the check in area. The drugs weighed 7.13 kilograms, according to analysis by the National Institute of Forensic Science (Inacif).

The unnamed tourist was due to board a flight to Europe. He is now in jail awaiting his court appearance where he will be accused of drug trafficking.

In addition, over the weekend, the DNCD and the Public Prosecution Service carried out raids in Capotillo, Simón Bolívar, Ensanche Espaillat, Luperón, 27 de Febrero, Gualey, Las Cañitas, and several provinces in the South East and North of the country. The raids resulted in the confiscation of more than 7,000 portions of drugs including 3,345 grams of cocaine, 4, 215 of marihuana and 150 portions of crack.

In addition, 316 people were arrested and cars, motorcycles, pistols, weighing scales, and cell phones were taken in evidence.

http://www.dncd.gob.do/index.php/not...dos-en-el-pais


Archbishop creates commission to investigate alleged cases of sexual abuse by clergy
Archbishop of Santo Domingo, Monsignor Francisco Ozoria Acosta announced the creation of a commission on 10 May 2018, to investigate the cases of sexual abuse that priests, deacons and others have been accused of committing. Several cases are being heard in the judiciary.

The commission is named to investigate and present a confidential report to the archbishop for further study and decision-making. The document is signed by general vicar of the Santo Domingo Archbishop, father Abraham Apolinario Abreu.

The commission is presided by auxiliary bishop of Santo Domingo Monsignor Jesús Castro Marte, and priests Abraham Apolinario Abreu and José Guillermo Rosario Sánchez, Jesús Zaglul Criado, and Jorge Iván Rodríguez Vargas.

“The people who have complaints need to substantiate well their claims,” said the religious hierarchy.

Monsignor Jesús Castro said the Dominican commission follows a global actions at all diocese and archdioceses to deal with cases of sexual abuses. He reaffirmed that all persons are innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, he said that the priests found guilty need support because they are sick people.

Meanwhile, Baní bishop Víctor Masalles said the commission should have been ordered years ago and not now. He said in the country it is usual to place the lock on the door after the theft. Masalles spoke after officiating a mass at the Puerta del Cielo Cemetery Park to commemorate Mother’s Day. He said:
"Fortunately, in our country it is not as common as in other countries, as has happened in Chile or as has happened in the United States. In our country it must exist surely and unfortunately, as it always remains hidden until it comes to light. I hope it comes out. I am the first to say that what is not right, inside and outside, should come to light.”

http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2018/05/2...en-la-iglesia/
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2018/05/2...en-la-iglesia/
http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2018/05/2...busos-menores/


First named storm no danger to the Dominican Republic
The Dominican Republic is nowhere near the path the first named storm of the 2018 Atlantic Hurricane Season has kept. Alberto is headed towards the Gulf Coast of the United States, carrying maximum sustained winds of 100 km/h.

The National Meteorological Office (Onamet), nevertheless, warns that thunderstorms are on the way and will be intense in the Los Haitises National Park in the northeast, the central mountain area and the northeastern Septentrional Mountain Range.

Temperatures will continue to be high during the day due to the hot breezes blowing in from the east southeast.

http://eldia.com.do/meteorologia-pro...ra-este-lunes/


Dominican hip hop dancers to world championships in Phoenix
The Dominican Dream Team/ Junior hip hop dance troupe won second place in the “Hip Hop International Dominican Republic 2018,” held at the Jaragua Renaissance in Santo Domingo on Sunday, 13 May 2018. The win qualified the team to earn a slot in the world Hip Hop Dance Championship in Phoenix, Arizona from 3-13 August 2018.

The Dominican team is backed by the Fundación Bolivar Valera and the Compañía de Danza Núcleo Extremo. A selection of 12 children, ages 7 to 12 years, with passion and talent for urban dances, were chosen and have been receiving training. The second place win shows the training is paying off.

Bolivar Valera says the Dominican team has a chance at bringing home a trophy.

The foundation has opened a Go Fund Me account to fund raise for the team to travel to Arizona. Likewise, a Banco de Reservas account is opened at www.gofundme.com/dominicandream
http://www.hiphopinternational.com/2...al-de-hip-hop/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkKJN2rUf0A