Amber Cove - entry as a guest

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
I was reading some info about Amber Cove from their web site. What got me interested is that when I drive up to PP I pass by it on the highway. I was told because its a "zona franca" its exclusive for the ship passengers that dock there. Any more information out there on the fact that Dominicans or anybody for that matter living here that is not on a ship cannot visit the place......

https://www.ambercove.com

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is my understanding that you cannot just visit Amber Cove. It is for those who are passengers on the cruises.

HarpB

Aug 31, 2012
Hi,
You would have to be a passenger or authorized to enter on a visitor list.  The ship would control the visitor list and the port authorities control access to the shops etc.

They also (Carnival) have to comply with International port rules for security MARSEC.  

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
Twice in the past couple months, we've picked up friends who were cruising so we could have lunch with them since they were so close. As mentioned, you can't enter unless you're a passenger (or employee, I suppose). You have to wait outside the main gate, even if you're picking someone up.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Last year I had family that were on a cruise and their ship stopped at Amber Cove. I wrote to the administration several weeks before the arrived asking for permission for myself and my wife and kids to enter. They were very courteous and sent me permission and arranged that our names were on the list of authorized visitors. It is spectacular inside, Carnival did a fantastic job.

Dec 7, 2018
Can you please tell me what Administration you wrote? We have friends who are arriving in March. We usually wait outside for people we pick up. We didn't realize there might be another option.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Can you please tell me what Administration you wrote? We have friends who are arriving in March. We usually wait outside for people we pick up. We didn't realize there might be another option.

You have to contact the Amber Cove General Manager, gm@ambercove.com There is another email address, Admin@ambercove.com

This was a couple of years ago and so I am not sure if they have changed their procedures but it worked fine for me and my family, I just had to provide the names of my wife, 2 daughters and myself. It took a bit to get in though as the person at the main gate did not have our names on the list and I showed him the email confirmation from the general manager so he then sent me on to the next person and after about 20 minutes they let us in as they saw our names on a separate list. We picked up our family, took them around Puerto Plata for the day and then spent the last few hours inside Amber Cove before they left. The place is spectacular, I was super impressed and I worked on cruise ships for 5 years and so I have seen many ports and this is definitely up there amongst the best. Make sure that you get email confirmation from the manager or the administration in case there is a problem you can show the security.