Thinking Of Cancelling????!!!!

watbag

Feb 15, 2002
Hi Guys and Gals

I am supposed to be going to the Barcelo Talanquera in August, situated in Juan Dolio. Thing is, I am getting more and more worried as the days progress. I have read some of the worst reports on this place, from various sources and most of them are quite recent too!!!!!!
As this is going to be my first trip to the DR i don't want it to be spoiled by a hotel that has a good write up but that is actually going to turn out in truth to be nothing of the sort!!!!!!!

What are your thoughts on this??????? If any??????

Thanks for any help in advance

Daybee

Feb 28, 2002
Cancelling

I have not stayed there but am aware of people who have. Perhaps you could change your hotel to the Coral Costa Caribe which is just up the road in Juan Dolio (I have stayed there and loved it). Its an old hotel but so friendly..... We are going back on 31 May so it can't be bad.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Talanquera...While not the best resort in

Jaun Dolio is not "bad" either.......
It certainly is one of the "busier" resorts. This winter when you didn't see very many people at Costa Caribe,La Cappella,Melia Juan Dolio or Playa Real the resorts at Talanquera and Decameron (they're side by side) had enough tourists that they were visible on the street.
We've had friends who have stayed there and were quite happy.
It's not five star (rather more like a 3 1/2) however since Barcelo took it over they have upgraded.
I wasn't personally inside the resort this year however I do have friends from Belgium who are arriving there today....
If you'd prefer a five star resort by all means see if you can change to La Capella or Costa Caribe however I did hear that a lot of their "facilities" were closed down due to the small number of guests.
Perhaps Kris's husband can tell you more about La Cappella. I understand he is there now.

Edited for spelling (I'm not awake yet!)

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
you just might have some fun...

I personally liked the hotel, even though there are others that are better at a higher price.

If I were you I would not cancel. You're vacation is going to turn out how you want it to, and if you think that the past experiences that other have either good or bad are going to happen to you then you are already arriving at the hotel with a certain expectation. The key is to have no expectations just go with the flow.

Take it slow and be patient and most importantly be flexible. If you find something wrong with your room, tell them they will bend over backwards to fix it for you. We had a lamp that didn't work, it was fixed in a matter of hours.

A perfume was taken by the cleaning lady, lesson learned, keep things that you really treasure out of sight or locked in your suitcase or even better don't bring valuables at all.

While I was there I saw some guest become so rude to the hotel staff, usually after drinking all day long. I really felt bad for the staff because they just stood there and took it, they didn't ask them to leave or to quiet down, they just listened to there problem and said they would see what they can do.

All in all like I said before your trip will be full of adventure, that is what visiting other countries is about and working through the obsticals that are thrown your way. If you have great expectations then you will be disappointed no doubt about it.

Remeber you will not be in a 'developed' country or in the finest hotels, so don't expect to be treated like your at the Ritz.

Best of all relax and lay out of the beach, talk long walks and watch the sunset while sipping a pina colada and you'll be fine.

Que te vaya con Dios.

kris

Apr 26, 2002
We are staying at the Barcelo Capella in mid June. My husband stays there often (rents a 2 bedroom unit continually for himself and employees to live in while they're working). Says he wouldn't do the all inclusive. Food is good but you could get tired of the buffet and I believe you get the breakfast either way. Guilia (sp?) is the best place for a cheeseburger in Juan Dolio. And some Swiss Deli is a great place too.

I have read reviews and they're all good on the Capella. Not so about the Santana in San Pedro. Haven't paid attention to any of the other resorts reviews.

Hope this info. is helpful.

Daybee

Feb 28, 2002
Hotels in Juan Dolio

MommC

I would be interested to hear more about the Coral Costa Caribe. I was there in January and am going back on 31 May. I know it was fairly empty in January and that staff had been laid off and those who were still there were concerned for their jobs. When I spoke to my friend there at the weekend they said it was full but not with tourists but the locals (I think it was a big holiday there).

It all sounds very grim.

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
weekends the resorts MUST open their doors

to Dominicans....it's the law so you'll always find most of the full on weekends.......
Toruisn has been real slow this year and those that are coming are mainly being taken to the Newer resorts in Punta Cana and Bayahibe.....
Too bad 'cause it's much easier to take day trips from the Juan Dolio/Boca Chica areas!

Daybee

Feb 28, 2002
Juan Dolio

I have been to both the north and south. Whilst the north has lovely new hotels they don't have the atmosphere of the older ones down south. I joined the Coral Vacation Club at the CCC so we tend to go back there each time and are always made very welcome and have made good friends there. Its very sad to see them end up with no jobs because nobody wants to travel.

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
EXPENSIVE TRAVEL

I would think that with travel "hurting" so much in the DR they (anyone in travel industry) would try and lure tourists with discounted rates, but it appears just the opposite.

My brother tried booking a flight from LAX to SDQ, 900 USD and up! He called several rental car agencies : 400USD and up for a sub compact 1 week rental (Seems all the agencies have now decided to require you purchase the CDW in DR)

I guess that unless you go AI, travel to the DR is becoming prohibitive

Janice