Saharan dust causing hazy conditions in the Caribbean
Barahona prepares for Xterra in September
Oscar de la Renta fashion to close Dominicana Moda
Local financing spurs more hotel room construction



Saharan dust causing hazy conditions in the Caribbean
Saharan dust is moving through the Caribbean bringing increased haziness in the air. The trade winds carry over mineral dust from the Saharan Desert. This phenomenon is normal at this time of year, especially in June, July and the first half of August.

The added dust is also known to cause medical problems. Those prone to respiratory conditions such as sinusitis or pediatric asthma can experience a worsening of their condition. Also on the negative side, the haze it creates affects visibility at airports and in shipping lanes.

The dust can be a plus for soil fertility. The large concentrations of mineral dust bring a nutrient inflow to the region’s forests and even cropland. According to international research, the dust may contain needed minerals such as iron.

But on the negative side, the particles also can carry salts, fungi and bacteria, that can increase soil salinization and lead to the appearance of so-called red tides in the oceans, causing the death of different marine organisms. In our nation’s seas, the dust negatively affects the coral reefs across the Caribbean and Florida by preventing out sunlight from reaching corals and seagrasses.

The Sahara is the major source on Earth of mineral dust (60-200 millions of tons per year). Saharan dust can be lifted by convection over hot desert areas, and can thus reach very high altitudes. From there, the dust can be transported worldwide by winds, covering distances of thousands of kilometers.
The dust combined with the extremely hot, dry air of the Sahara Desert often forms an atmospheric layer called the Saharan Air Layer that has significant effects on tropical weather, especially as it interferes with the development of hurricanes.
http://forecast.uoa.gr/dustindx.php


Barahona prepares for Xterra in September
Casa Bonita Tropical Lodge in southwestern Barahona is preparing to host Xterra competitors. Events are scheduled in the trail-run (21k, 10k and 5k) and the off-road dualthon (Dualthon Xterra and Dualthon Sprint), both set for 16 September 2018.
http://www.xterradr.com/


Oscar de la Renta fashion to close Dominicana Moda
Dominicana Moda announces the final runway show for the 2018 version will be with designs by the Oscar de la Renta fashion house. The runway show will be staged for the October 2018 event at the Columbus Park in the Colonial City. The announcement was made at the Casa del Diseñador, the former Colonial City home of the late designer Oscar de la Renta.

https://www.listindiario.com/las-soc...dominicanamoda


Local financing spurs more hotel room construction
Foreign investors are taking advantage of available local financing for tourism ventures in the Dominican Republic. Statistics from the Superintendence of Banks indicate that financing of tourism ventures (mainly hotels and restaurants) is up 35% over the past three years. Financing in 2015 was RD$35.5 billion. By 2016 this had increased to RD$43.5 billion, and in 2017, RD$47.9 billion. Of the totals, 98% was managed by multi-tier banks. The remaining 2% was lent by loans and savings associations and credit corporations.
https://www.eldinero.com.do/56498/el...-en-tres-anos/