Text of letter for Residencia Definitiva needed

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Could some one please post the text of the letter that must be sent to the head of Migracion to request Residencia Definitiva?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
06 de junion del 2018
Punta Cana, La Altagracia

Señor,
Teniente General (R) Máximo William Muñoz Delgado
Director General de Migración
Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional
Sus manos.-

Asunto: Cambio de categoría migratoria

Distinguido señor Director

Por medio de la presente tengo a bien solicitar el cambio de categoría migratorio para mi persona de Residencia Permanente a Definitiva por haber cumplido los 10 años de Residencia Permanente requeridos según estipulan las leyes migratorias de República Dominicana. A continuación mis datos personales:

Nombre
Fecha de nacimiento
Residencia #
Pasaporte
Empleo:

Sin más nada por el momento, se despide,

Muy atentamente,

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Let us know how it turns out Windy....

I'm up for it next time !!
Easier than finding a citizenship sponsor

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Will do WW. Trying to turn in the request tomorrow at the POP Migracion office. I hear it takes up to two months for "approval" of the request.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I ahve had the 10 yrs... began in January 2008

But they disallow the 1 yr temporary that was in place then
So my count in RD math is 9 yrs

Three renewals I was told...
always a bit different

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
Will do WW. Trying to turn in the request tomorrow at the POP Migracion office. I hear it takes up to two months for "approval" of the request.

I'm eligible for this now, too, I think. Need to renew for December, so will be keen to follow your progress. Please let us know if they accept the letter in PP. Sorry if I missed some details in the longer other thread on this, but how long in advance can you make this request for definativa? Does anyone know if they can check on the system in PP to see if you do qualify, or not? Thanks.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I'm eligible for this now, too, I think. Need to renew for December, so will be keen to follow your progress. Please let us know if they accept the letter in PP. Sorry if I missed some details in the longer other thread on this, but how long in advance can you make this request for definativa? Does anyone know if they can check on the system in PP to see if you do qualify, or not? Thanks.

They accepted my letter today in POP which requests Residencia Definitiva. I used the format posted earlier in this thread in post 2 by KateP.

The receptionist also took copies of my cedula, residency card and the first page of my passport to include with the request letter. She said it should take about one month to get my response back. After approval, I will move forward with the online application process. Hopefully the first or second week of July.

They should be able to check if you are eligible with enough time on "permanent" residency, but keep in mind I was originally told by the receptionist you need to have 15 years of permanent residence when 10 is all that is needed. By checking, I mean that they will have to call Santo Domingo. Networked computers don't seem to be available to them. Or you could try and call Santo Domingo directly. The receptionist said, "Good luck with that" in so many words.

Joe Boots

Jun 16, 2008
I am still trying to find out what is the difference between Permanent and Definite residency. I read and hear so many different answers. I supposed it has to do with expiration date. One day I should just go to the DR Embassy in USA and see what they say.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
I am still trying to find out what is the difference between Permanent and Definite residency. I read and hear so many different answers. I supposed it has to do with expiration date. One day I should just go to the DR Embassy in USA and see what they say.

To the best of my understanding, the definativa is good for 10 years and that's the longest period you can get without applying for citizenship.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My understanding too -- a 10 yr permanent residency is how I would describe it

Given that there is no true 'permanent'

second best to residency

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Permanent renews every 4 years and costs X, Definitiva renews every 10 years and costs Y, which is more than X. Neither is permanent nor definite. The expiration time interval, the cost, and when and how you can apply are all different.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Good Luck with that my friend... i did it and it all depends on who you talk to .. I gave up I just pay the tax when leaving .... I invest at least 3g and still got the run around im done.... now i know why people just grease palms here .. who no the stupid bull c@@P not me for sure.... good luck

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You should have asked here for a better lawyer....
Mine flew easily every time since 2008....

In January 2008 , I arrived in RD for the first time and went straight to the lawyers' office, literally - needed a country of residence.
Done by June and just renewed recently (April)
however many times..... straightforward.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune just the same

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I know of four people who have hooked up with the wrong lawyers for residency. Lots of bad lawyers to choose from.