Europcar

Denmay565

Dec 6, 2005
Word of caution. I strongly recommend against using this rental car company in the DR. Whether you make the reservation online through them or a third party such as Priceline, when you get to their desk at the airport, the rate is different than the rate quoted through their website or a third party provider. This happened to me as well as both my friends and we are on a mission to alert people to stay clear of Europcar in the DR. Further, Priceline was no help so I would avoid using them also. The best bet is to go with one of the local outfits recommended on this website. We have found Budget and Alamo to be reasonable when we have booked directly with them. Europcar is not a company you can trust.

more1216

Jun 29, 2004
Word of caution. I strongly recommend against using this rental car company in the DR. Whether you make the reservation online through them or a third party such as Priceline, when you get to their desk at the airport, the rate is different than the rate quoted through their website or a third party provider. This happened to me as well as both my friends and we are on a mission to alert people to stay clear of Europcar in the DR. Further, Priceline was no help so I would avoid using them also. The best bet is to go with one of the local outfits recommended on this website. We have found Budget and Alamo to be reasonable when we have booked directly with them. Europcar is not a company you can trust.

That has happened to me with other rental car companies as well. However, I have been using Europcar for a long time with no issues. I book online, twice a year, arriving in SD. I found they also offer the best deals.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
Eurocar, Avis, Budget, Thrifty, Payless, Hertz and Nelly are all owned by the same group (this is not publicly known as franchise agreements prohibit it).

chrisdr

Oct 7, 2012
I just used them the other day - booked on Expedia - all was good, same price as I booked online (apart from the insurance of course...

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
Eurocar, Avis, Budget, Thrifty, Payless, Hertz and Nelly are all owned by the same group (this is not publicly known as franchise agreements prohibit it).

100% correct....I knew the manager in Nelly for many years and he told me the little secret....

HarpB

Aug 31, 2012
I totaled two of their vehicles two weekends in a row when I was stationed in Italy 30 years ago.  I only broght back the keys!  Maybe they are still trying to recoup what they spent on me?  I rented a couple times in DR with no issues over the years.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
and they all suck ...one of the reasons I bought my own car
I agree 200% they all suck big time bunch of thieves with no guns.. i just love how they smile at you and tell you need to get the extra insurance for 40extra dollars a day and thats its DR law ...I told the guy to go fly a kite adios and called huber .

PS Take good photos of your car before leaving the renter car place. because when you come back they try to nickel and dime you for every little ding.... then tell you give me 50 bucks and and let you go...

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have a friend who rents 2 -3 times/year...for 2 months each or more

No matter how I explain it... he can't seem to see the math...
buy don't rent if it fits your profile

SF61

Apr 3, 2017
Rent every year at PP airport. Avis cost me my first born. Used Budget last year and paid through Easy cars online, declined the insurance and had no problems. Had to give them a hold of $800 on my cc but 2 weeks cost less than $400. Cheapest rate I have received to date. Insurance was covered through cc and liability through booking site. I recommend it if you want to rent.

Denmay565

Dec 6, 2005
Europcar and Interent

These two car rental locations are located at the Puerto Plata airport. Both companies are owned by Europcar although they are no doubt franchised to a local. I would not recommend renting with either. Regardless of the quote you get from Europcar, they will not honor it when you get to the airport and they will charge an amount that is more than double the online quote you get from the parent company or through a third party. This has happened to at least 3 people that I am aware of and no doubt more. Doing this is not ethical and certainly discourages tourists from coming to the DR when they feel that they are being scammed.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you already started a thread to complain about this last month. are you neymar?

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
These two car rental locations are located at the Puerto Plata airport. Both companies are owned by Europcar although they are no doubt franchised to a local. I would not recommend renting with either. Regardless of the quote you get from Europcar, they will not honor it when you get to the airport and they will charge an amount that is more than double the online quote you get from the parent company or through a third party. This has happened to at least 3 people that I am aware of and no doubt more. Doing this is not ethical and certainly discourages tourists from coming to the DR when they feel that they are being scammed.

Cannot comment anything experienced on rental cars on airports here, but in general, I personally would try to avoid doing any kind of business on the airport (currency exchange, rental cars), as without doubt the pricing is not favourable compared to anything you can get outside of the airport.

One time we entered the DR via POP, and I was badly prepared, did not have the 10 USD for the tourist tax at that point. I went to the currency exchange there, and turned out that they offered the same exchange rate for USD/DOP and EUR/DOP... I just accepted it, exchanged the 10 EUR to USD and got out of the airport.

I think it's wrong to judge that people "get scammed in the DR" based on what has happened on one airport, at a company not originating from the DR (even if franchised to the locals). Unrelated to the DR, I have yet to see one airport anywhere in the world where things are cheaper than anything town / outside of the airport. I've rented cars from two different agencies in the DR for years, and never ever I have had issues with pricing or anything.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
We booked online with them in October for a rental at Christmas. Got to the airport, no car available. We have had the best luck with Dollar Rent A Car.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
We booked online with them in October for a rental at Christmas. Got to the airport, no car available. We have had the best luck with Dollar Rent A Car.

It's happened to me a time or two.

The problem comes when they have all of their cars rented and somebody doesn't return the car when they said they would.

Not really the fault of the rental company.

Any many times the problems arise from the people who work in the office, not the franchise owner. I have run across some real dimwits in rental offices in my time.

purplelvr

Apr 13, 2018
I had a bad experience with Europcar in PC last year.
Here is my review I posted online about them....................

Beware they will TRY to rip you off!
I rented car for 5 days right before Hurricane Irma was to hit island. I called office and asked them what time they would be closing the day before storm was to hit. I get to office before closing and they were closed. UNPROFESSIONAL. A guard was on duty. I made a video showing i attempted to turn in car early in case i encountered issues. Office was closed day of storm (which bypassed PC). I arrived at office next day. To my surprise they did not even attempt to charge for extra day, but rather tried to say the car was in an accident. The attempt to 'get over on Americans' was not going to work here. I visit PC every couple months, so I am well aware of tactics used on foreigners. I went off and my friend who happens to live there went off. It was a new car with temporary tags and no signs anywhere of damage. Around this area there are numerous speed bumps and one's car may scrape under the carriage. That would apply to all cars in PC as they all go over these bumps. Once the staff calmed us both down, they retracted their accident statements. Just beware of the attempt to get over while visiting here.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I had a bad experience with Europcar in PC last year.
Here is my review I posted online about them....................

Beware they will TRY to rip you off!
I rented car for 5 days right before Hurricane Irma was to hit island. I called office and asked them what time they would be closing the day before storm was to hit. I get to office before closing and they were closed. UNPROFESSIONAL. A guard was on duty. I made a video showing i attempted to turn in car early in case i encountered issues. Office was closed day of storm (which bypassed PC). I arrived at office next day. To my surprise they did not even attempt to charge for extra day, but rather tried to say the car was in an accident. The attempt to 'get over on Americans' was not going to work here. I visit PC every couple months, so I am well aware of tactics used on foreigners. I went off and my friend who happens to live there went off. It was a new car with temporary tags and no signs anywhere of damage. Around this area there are numerous speed bumps and one's car may scrape under the carriage. That would apply to all cars in PC as they all go over these bumps. Once the staff calmed us both down, they retracted their accident statements. Just beware of the attempt to get over while visiting here.

that does not shock me at all..bunch of thieves .......

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
We ended up just going with a taxi that visit, and renting the next day. He told us that they over book all the time, especially during holidays. There are always people at PC with a rental that doesn't exist, and business is good for him.