New? Driver license requirements.

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
So, my friend who has been going through an arduous task of getting legal finally got his residency. He had such meaningful requirements as having to provide copies every page of his passport - including the cover and blank pages. You know - the cover, which has no useful information and is the same as every other US passport. *This* is one of the many things that held up his process....with no notification; he only found out after a lot of phone calls and visits to investigate what his latest holdup was.

On his way out from getting his card, he asked the lady about the process to get a cedula. She told him he can't get a cédula because he's here for religious purposes (he's a missionary). He wanted to get a cédula in order to get a Dominican driver license in an attempt to be as legal as possible. He remarked "but that means there's no way I can be a legal driver, because I need a cédula to get a license," and got the typical Dominican shrug.

We subsequently asked Abreu about this, because we have another friend whose cédula plainly lists his occupation as "Misionero". Her reply was that now, no one who comes here on an NM1 (Business, Multiple Entries) visa and obtains residency can get a cedula - because the government "doesn't consider you a resident in the truest sense.". This is presumably because your residency depends on the job at hand.

So, the Dominican Consulate in Miami says the *only* way one can legally move here is via NM1 visa, converted to residency once in-country and by proving all the standard solvency requirements, guarantor, repatriation insurance, etc. They actually wrote in their email specifically NOT to apply for any other visa, as it won't be approved for them, nor anyone else, by the Miami Consulate. Heck, they argued that the 60-day Residency Visa (which is specifically for purpose of entering the country to begin process of establishing residency) doesn't even exist, despite being listed on their own website as the proper way to progress (no surprise either, since their website was fully erroneous in 2014, and hasn't updated since....they changed the aesthetic facade, but copied/pasted the same bad info). The NM1 visa is the same for anyone coming here for a job assignment, etc.

So under this law, anyone who isn't coming as a retiree or investor will be prevented from being a legal driver? The NM1 is the most broad-scoped, commonly used visa.

Not sure why I expect anything to make sense any more, especially from a country who is "cracking down on over stays", but still giving instructions in the Migración office to just pay-as-you-leave. I swear it no longer even seems like poor organization or ignorance. It's as if someone is actively scheming up ways to make the process more ridiculous.

Sent from my SM-G610M using Tapatalk

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Bizarre. I would have expected Migracion would write an authorization letter allowing for the issuance of a driver's license for the validity period of the residency card.

There must be a reason for this obstacle but we can only guess as to who thought of it and then failed to consider the practical reality of a resident not being able to get a driver's license. Typical ...

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
Bizarre. I would have expected Migracion would write an authorization letter allowing for the issuance of a driver's license for the validity period of the residency card. ...

That's the next great hope. He's trying to navigate up the chain to find someone who might be able to give such a letter or at least some practical advice.

AAIS

Feb 24, 2016
www.abreuimmigration.com
I found a link with the requirements in the following government website:

https://intrant.gob.do/index.php/servic … dominicana

The following is a Google Translate translation:

REQUIREMENTS

Be a foreigner with residence in the country.

Required documents:

1. Foreign driver's license valid at the date of the change, plus three (3) copies.

2. Certification of the diplomatic or consular mission accrediting the validity and validity of the license, legalized in Chancery or apostille by the country of origin, plus three copies.

- The schedule of certification in the Chancellery is until 2:30 pm.

3. Three (3) copies of the residence.

4. Contract or work letter.

5. Payment receipt from the Reserve Bank of the legalization of diplomatic certification and a copy.

6. Receipt of payment of taxes and services from the Reserve Bank.

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
Ah ha! After looking through that site, I may see the root issue. Your link is the requirement list for converting a foreign license to a Dominican one. If you check the notice at the bottom, it says Americans must follow the regular procedure for getting a first license, which includes presenting a cédula.

The reason is that in the US, licenses are issued by individual states. There's no national driver license....so the US Federal government won't authenticate a state's document because it's not issued by a federal agency. In other countries, the licenses are issued on a federal level and can be authenticated by national authorities.

So, since there's no way to get a certification that an American license is authentic, US citizens must go through the entire process of getting a license from scratch. But, with the cédula requirement, there will be very few Americans who can obtain a cedula in the future under current guidelines.

At least now I understand what the reason is....

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Ah ha! After looking through that site, I may see the root issue. Your link is the requirement list for converting a foreign license to a Dominican one. If you check the notice at the bottom, it says Americans must follow the regular procedure for getting a first license, which includes presenting a cédula.

The reason is that in the US, licenses are issued by individual states. There's no national driver license....so the US Federal government won't authenticate a state's document because it's not issued by a federal agency. In other countries, the licenses are issued on a federal level and can be authenticated by national authorities.

So, since there's no way to get a certification that an American license is authentic, US citizens must go through the entire process of getting a license from scratch. But, with the cédula requirement, there will be very few Americans who can obtain a cedula in the future under current guidelines.

At least now I understand what the reason is....

Canadian provinces have individual drivers licences and there is not such thing as a federal licence, but the Canadian government will authenticate provincial licences.

Kip

Aug 21, 2015
The US does not. Hence, the reason for the statement on the INTRANT website.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
So, my friend who has been going through an arduous task of getting legal finally got his residency. He had such meaningful requirements as having to provide copies every page of his passport - including the cover and blank pages. You know - the cover, which has no useful information and is the same as every other US passport. *This* is one of the many things that held up his process....with no notification; he only found out after a lot of phone calls and visits to investigate what his latest holdup was.

On his way out from getting his card, he asked the lady about the process to get a cedula. She told him he can't get a cédula because he's here for religious purposes (he's a missionary). He wanted to get a cédula in order to get a Dominican driver license in an attempt to be as legal as possible. He remarked "but that means there's no way I can be a legal driver, because I need a cédula to get a license," and got the typical Dominican shrug.

We subsequently asked Abreu about this, because we have another friend whose cédula plainly lists his occupation as "Misionero". Her reply was that now, no one who comes here on an NM1 (Business, Multiple Entries) visa and obtains residency can get a cedula - because the government "doesn't consider you a resident in the truest sense.". This is presumably because your residency depends on the job at hand.

So, the Dominican Consulate in Miami says the *only* way one can legally move here is via NM1 visa, converted to residency once in-country and by proving all the standard solvency requirements, guarantor, repatriation insurance, etc. They actually wrote in their email specifically NOT to apply for any other visa, as it won't be approved for them, nor anyone else, by the Miami Consulate. Heck, they argued that the 60-day Residency Visa (which is specifically for purpose of entering the country to begin process of establishing residency) doesn't even exist, despite being listed on their own website as the proper way to progress (no surprise either, since their website was fully erroneous in 2014, and hasn't updated since....they changed the aesthetic facade, but copied/pasted the same bad info). The NM1 visa is the same for anyone coming here for a job assignment, etc.

So under this law, anyone who isn't coming as a retiree or investor will be prevented from being a legal driver? The NM1 is the most broad-scoped, commonly used visa.

Not sure why I expect anything to make sense any more, especially from a country who is "cracking down on over stays", but still giving instructions in the Migración office to just pay-as-you-leave. I swear it no longer even seems like poor organization or ignorance. It's as if someone is actively scheming up ways to make the process more ridiculous.

One hand here frequently doesn't know what the other is doing - in fact, most of the time! Did your friend actually go to the JCE in SD and try to get a cedula? They very well might not know about this new law.

Once there, you just present your residency card, pay 3000 pesos, and get finger prints and foto again. Usually takes about 20 minutes. They might not know.

Feb 7, 2007
One hand here frequently doesn't know what the other is doing - in fact, most of the time! Did your friend actually go to the JCE in SD and try to get a cedula? They very well might not know about this new law.

Once there, you just present your residency card, pay 3000 pesos, and get finger prints and foto again. Usually takes about 20 minutes. They might not know.

There would be one slight problem with this. Once residency is approved, you are not given a residency card the first time but a paper you take to JCE, get a cedula with that paper, and then go to DGM to get the residency card. renewals yes you just take the residency card to JCE. But first time, there is no residency card to take to JCE.