Why is it Dominicans eat Bananas with la Bandera (Arroz, Habichuela, Carne)?

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Why is Guineo so important to have with lunch meal, la bandera?

What's the tale?

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
Not sure I understand the question. Did you see a dish called the la bandera?

I suppose:

blue = black beans,
white = rice
and red for meat.

could be fashioned into a dominican flag. Red Meat is available, but Plaintains and chicken is more the staple dish along side rice and beans. Guineos (sweet bananas) are less common.

As the british say, maybe somebody is being too clever by half.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Arroz, Habichuela, Carne is the typical bandera plate in DR, most add Bananas to it; why?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I see it all the time in my family. I would rather eat grass than a boiled banana.

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017

What's the tale?

This is not only a Dominican phenomenon, it is done by Puerto Ricans as well.

I suppose it's the combination of sweet and salty and perhaps bananas are an acceptable substitute in the absence of sweet plantains...and yeah, because it tastes delicious as someone else stated.

jenmar237

Aug 8, 2017
It isn't SO important. Some people just pick a banana to have as a dessert AFTER lunch.

It's pretty important to a lot of Dominicans, my mother and quite a few other relatives do not eat rice and beans without a guineo on the side, unless, of course, sweet plantains are already part of the meal.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002

What's the tale?

a sweet starch to go with all else. If maduros are not available then go with the banana. Not to take you off topic but there is a similar thing with Dominicans who will eat avocado every day. Of course there has to be some sort of rice also. Many Dominicans will feel empty if they can't have a piece of avocado with their meal.

what's your thought on this?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Rice, beans, avocado, salad and chicken are the only must haves in my MIL's kitchen. Guineos Verde or Plantains are actually not eaten very often but judging by how many are sold on the street and at the colmadoes most Dominicans eat a lot of plantains. My inlaws dont eat salami either. My MIL cooks up Papas or yuca for us for supper to eat with avocadoes and a bit of moro and leftover chicken from lunch. Not every Dominican family eats the same.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
It isn't SO important. Some people just pick a banana to have as a dessert AFTER lunch.

No asking about this specific case. More so, the Banana mixed with the rice and meat as part of the meal, and not as dessert.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
a sweet starch to go with all else. If maduros are not available then go with the banana. Not to take you off topic but there is a similar thing with Dominicans who will eat avocado every day. Of course there has to be some sort of rice also. Many Dominicans will feel empty if they can't have a piece of avocado with their meal.

what's your thought on this?

No thoughts. That's just another instance and a very Dominican way to deal with Avocados as part of a daily diet. I like Guacamole instead.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
This is not only a Dominican phenomenon, it is done by Puerto Ricans as well.

I suppose it's the combination of sweet and salty and perhaps bananas are an acceptable substitute in the absence of sweet plantains...and yeah, because it tastes delicious as someone else stated.

Thank you. Any history, behind this?

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
Rice, beans, avocado, salad and chicken are the only must haves in my MIL's kitchen. Guineos Verde or Plantains are actually not eaten very often but judging by how many are sold on the street and at the colmadoes most Dominicans eat a lot of plantains. My inlaws dont eat salami either. My MIL cooks up Papas or yuca for us for supper to eat with avocadoes and a bit of moro and leftover chicken from lunch. Not every Dominican family eats the same.

Anything related to the use of Bananas with Rice, beans and Meat?

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
You guys need to get out more:

La Bandera is a reference to the typical Dominican lunch, rice, beans, meat and a little salad. Un chin.

Guineos or bananas are eaten both boiled green or raw ripe and yellow. Most people who eat boiled green bananas have them for either breakfast and/or dinner with the above mentioned foods. If any are left over from breakfast, only makes sense to throw one on the side with the Bandera. Over the years they grow on you and are better with a little olive oil and sauted red onions and vinegar. If you have a land in the campo, a very cheap source of food. Ripe bananas are generally eaten as a snack or after the meal.