Sad news

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
With the permission of his family in France, I write this post to inform North Coast (and beyond) of the sudden and untimely death of Etienne Leger. You knew him as the slightly scruffy owner/chef of Carpe Diem (now closed), the only classic French restaurant in Sosúa.

Etienne was opinionated --- and not shy about sharing his opinions. He was so bright, so well-informed. He spoke 4 languages, 3 of them badly. His Belgian-French was superb.

He was a phenomenal cook. I will never forget the dinner he made for a few friends of mine when I turned 64---cuz, let's face it: it's the only birthday that has a Beatles' song associated with...do admit.

He was a loyal and steadfast friend. During Hurricane Maria (when my knee was blown out), he slept on my couch, walked my dog, cooked for me, and moved the pots when the roof leaked.

Etienne: go in peace. I shall miss you. Not to mention your baked endive, your incredible mojitos, and your gimlet--very French--eye

I post this on DR-1 solely to inform you of his passing.

This link is shared with his children and family in France. No flamers need apply.

Last edited:

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
RIP I did not know him well but ate there a few times...excellent food. He was a good host. Godspeed.

Milo Mitt

Jul 21, 2014
RIP. I only ate at his place once with a group friends. My food was good but some of my friends felt so-so. His place looked nice.