Hotel in the Colonial Zone

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've got a group in January who want to spend a day in Santo Domingo and saty in the Colonial Zone, and am looking for suggestions.

The biggest issue is parking. We will have 6 motorcycles, a 15-passenger van and a trailer with a motorcycle.

Any suggestions would be grtefully appreciated.

We kinda like the Hotel Conde De Peñalba area, the heart of the CZ.

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I like Hotel Palacio. They have on-site parking, but the van may be a challenge getting down their street.

You may want to try one of the hotels on the malecon, like Crowne Plaza or Sheraton. Easier in/out for your van.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I like Hotel Palacio. They have on-site parking, but the van may be a challenge getting down their street.

You may want to try one of the hotels on the malecon, like Crowne Plaza or Sheraton. Easier in/out for your van.

Probably your best and only solution. Sure you are not in the heart of la zona but a nice walk is always good for the heart.

JasonD

Bronze
Feb 10, 2018
I've got a group in January who want to spend a day in Santo Domingo and saty in the Colonial Zone, and am looking for suggestions.

The biggest issue is parking. We will have 6 motorcycles, a 15-passenger van and a trailer with a motorcycle.

Casa Sanchez Hotel

http://www.casasanchezhotel.com/newsite/index.htm

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

@JasonD, you might want to read this taken directly from Casa Sanchez webpage...……….

Car Parking

The hotel car park has very limited spaces available, and you must reserve a space. Use the form below on this page. We will respond by email to confirm that your space has been reserved. The hotel car park is secured by padlocked gates but does not have a security guard and you park at your own risk. There is a secure car park just one block from the hotel, above a police station, which has 24 hour guards. This car park charges around RD$200 (about US$5) per day.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
We want to be in the CZ. If we have to park off-site in a secure lot, that is fine.

We arrive Saturday late afternoon from Bayahibe with stops at Cueva de las Maravillas & Tres Ojos, and want to spend a couple of hours walking the CZ in the morning before heading out.

It's a private group and this is what they want.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
@cobraboy did you try sending TropicalPaul a PM. I don't think anyone knows accommodations in la zona better than him.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
If you are okay with parking somewhere else, I would recommend Casa Sanchez and also El Beaterio is a hidden gem. My absolute favorite place in La Zona really.

http://www.elbeaterio.com/

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

I have stayed at Hotel Conde de Penalba many times. The rooms are not fancy but more than adequate and reasonably priced. The big draw for me is their outdoor cafe for drinks and food. Great place. Parking is always at a premium. You might have to drive around the area to find open spots.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005

The biggest issue is parking. We will have 6 motorcycles, a 15-passenger van and a trailer with a motorcycle.………………...

Anyone with suggestions on parking?

There is a public parking garage just off of el conde. I may be wrong but I thought it had low overhead clearance as it is a multi-level parking deck. Hopefully someone who has used this garage will chime in. I am not sure how well I would sleep at night with the motorcycles and van parked there. Just guessing but probably a few dollars worth of equipment in the van.

I know the group wants la zona but Crown Plaza on the malecon with the large parking lot seems like a good idea. Do YOU need to stay at the same hotel as the group? Maybe put the group in la zona and you at Crown Plaza with a little tip at the front desk for the additional parking?

Hector L

Jun 11, 2010
The parking garage just off the Conde next to the police can easily handle the cars but I am not sure it can handle a van.  Maybe Casa Sanchez can handle the van. 

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
In the heart of the C.Z. and might work. A little more expensive then some others but if it works, may be worth it.

Hodelpa Caribe Colonial - Hotel
Isabel La Católica 159

(FYI: A Hostel is right across the street from this hotel.)

1/2 block north of the cathedral. They have a small secured parking area that should be fine for the bikes but a big challenge to get into even IF they have space for the van/trailer. Half a block north and across the street on the corner is another parking lot but I don't think it is secured and how easy to get van w trailer into/out of.

In Back of this hotel is another secured parking lot accessible Calle Las Damas. This may be for the other Hodelpa Nicolás de Ovando hotel. More expensive.

Google Earth should help you.

DR Solar

Bronze
Nov 21, 2016
I would recommend that from the Malicon before the curve north, take Calle Arzobispo Merino (sp), then first right takes you to the 1st Hodelpa and should be easy for bikes and van/trailer. Getting out, just go around the block.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
Anyone with suggestions on parking?

There is a public parking garage just off of el conde. I may be wrong but I thought it had low overhead clearance as it is a multi-level parking deck. Hopefully someone who has used this garage will chime in. I am not sure how well I would sleep at night with the motorcycles and van parked there. Just guessing but probably a few dollars worth of equipment in the van.

I know the group wants la zona but Crown Plaza on the malecon with the large parking lot seems like a good idea. Do YOU need to stay at the same hotel as the group? Maybe put the group in la zona and you at Crown Plaza with a little tip at the front desk for the additional parking?

You are correct.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
In the heart of the C.Z. and might work. A little more expensive then some others but if it works, may be worth it.

Hodelpa Caribe Colonial - Hotel
Isabel La Católica 159

(FYI: A Hostel is right across the street from this hotel.)

1/2 block north of the cathedral. They have a small secured parking area that should be fine for the bikes but a big challenge to get into even IF they have space for the van/trailer. Half a block north and across the street on the corner is another parking lot but I don't think it is secured and how easy to get van w trailer into/out of.

In Back of this hotel is another secured parking lot accessible Calle Las Damas. This may be for the other Hodelpa Nicolás de Ovando hotel. More expensive.

Google Earth should help you.
This is the hotel that we're gonna look at. It could work.

cbmitch9

Bronze
Nov 3, 2010
There are about 2 or 3 decent hotels on Calle Conde and are within walking distance of a public parking garage on that same street. One is Tau Casa Conde and Conde de Peñalba. I don't remember the name of the other one. I have stayed at both of the hotels that I named and recommend them. They are not expensive and are very comfortable.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
There are about 2 or 3 decent hotels on Calle Conde and are within walking distance of a public parking garage on that same street. One is Tau Casa Conde and Conde de Peñalba. I don't remember the name of the other one. I have stayed at both of the hotels that I named and recommend them. They are not expensive and are very comfortable.
Penalba is also on thr radar...