Insane Traffic and Parking in Sosua

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
First they banned golf carts - supposedly dangerous. And now we have a$$hole roller-bladers flying around town, hitching on to vehicles and motos. One idiot fell in front of a gringo's vehicle the other night. If the blader had been run over - guess who's fault it would be. AMET sat there watching and laughing.

Then I watched as AMET ticket writer started to ticket a vehicle parked in a curb location NOT PAINTED YELLOW. He told the vehicle owner to move across the street - to another curb location also NOT PAINTED YELLOW. The vehicle owner refused to move and the AMET truck drove away. I'm sure they would have towed the vehicle if the owner had not been there to protest, take picture or video, whatever.

And now the street side in front of Bon Ice Cream (NOT PAINTED YELLOW) is parking OK during the day - but not at night ( or maybe it's the other way round - but who really knows or cares.) And moto's are, of course, exempt from this.

I have a new rule that I suggest people follow - when going to a bar/restaurant/business only park your vehicle where you can see it while in the bar/restaurant/business. If you can't do that - go somewhere else. Sadly the business is the one who suffers.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
More harassment? Sure seems like authorities don't want tourists or foreign residents.
If you buy a house here and decide later the harassment is too much you are kind of swimming with an anchor

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
More harassment? Sure seems like authorities don't want tourists or foreign residents.
If you buy a house here and decide later the harassment is too much you are kind of swimming with an anchor

I agree. It seems almost as if they are doing everything they can to deter visitors to Sosua.

Bundel2014

Feb 11, 2017
I live in Jarabacoa,my friend lives in Costambar,no such problems,or for thatmatter in Santiago.The powers that be,cant decide,what they want to do with sosua,until then,why go to sosua,much better beachs on the northcoast.

GringoRubio

Bronze
Oct 15, 2015
I have to agree. I was in Sosúa last night. PC just felt seedy and sleazy. Like it needed a good rain to clean the grime from the streets and broken curbs. No discotheques are still open and sitting around at a restaurant didn't appeal to me so I soon left.

Despite the changes, there was at least a dozen chicas hanging around obliviously available. It's not like I did a survey, but an old dog would still find their trick.

I can't help but think there is a developer hiding in shadows orchestrating the mismanagement and subtle harassment.

Back in Puerto Plata the malecón was rocking and there is a reasonable selection of night life.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I have to agree. I was in Sosúa last night. PC just felt seedy and sleazy. Like it needed a good rain to clean the grime from the streets and broken curbs. No discotheques are still open and sitting around at a restaurant didn't appeal to me so I soon left.

Despite the changes, there was at least a dozen chicas hanging around obliviously available. It's not like I did a survey, but an old dog would still find their trick.

I can't help but think there is a developer hiding in shadows orchestrating the mismanagement and subtle harassment.

Back in Puerto Plata the malecón was rocking and there is a reasonable selection of night life.
I agree Sosua seems dead or just too sleazy except there are more cars parked now than even during tourist seasons.
Unfortunately the harassment of gringos will drive away tourism. They won't seek out Jarabacoa for their vacations. They want a costal scene and a mix of tourists and locals. 10 years ago Sosua was a lot more fun. The loud discos and the aggressive ladies pretty much drove off the families I used to see. And even single men are talking about not returning. I have one friend who lived in Florida and has been coming 2 or 3 times a year for 6 years and he told me he doesn't feel a good vibe here anymore.
His next trip he's going to check out Colombia.
Things change and maybe Sosua will improve but not if the PN keep up the shakedown stops and unfriendly nature.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Just spent my first day in Medellin and can tell you it is much safer to walk around here than in Sosua. The motos in Medellin have headlights and rarely drive on the sidewalk, unlike Sosua. My last trip to Sosua I took a photo of a moto driving on the sidewalk in front of Chez Monreal because it was raining outside.

Just spent my first day in Medellin and can tell you it is much safer to walk around here than in Sosua. The motos in Medellin have headlights and rarely drive on the sidewalk, unlike Sosua. My last trip to Sosua I took a photo of a moto driving on the sidewalk in front of Chez Monreal because it was raining outside.

Shocking behavior...Sosua sounds a bit too rough for you. Lol 

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Medellin is safer than Sosua? Surely you jest. Full disclosure,I currently live in Sosua,I have lived in both countries and have a Colombian child so I am quite familiar with both places.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Shocking behavior...Sosua sounds a bit too rough for you. Lol 

It's a slow and painful process Harley. Like death from a thousand cuts.
I can deal with the idiots on motos better than the aggressive cops looking for propinas.
I'm thinking of relocating too.
I love a lot about the DR but it definitely seems like extranjeros aren't so welcome, at least on the North Coast, as they were when I first came
16 years ago. .
Or maybe as I get older my threshold for sh*t gets lower

slowmo

Aug 1, 2016
Medellin is safer than Sosua? Surely you jest. Full disclosure,I currently live in Sosua,I have lived in both countries and have a Colombian child so I am quite familiar with both places.

Just talking about walking around safely from a dodging a vehicle perspective.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
On the subject of parking, why have they stopped people doing so where it doesn't help the traffic flow to do so? Restricting parking on one side of Pedro Clisante and Dr Rosen makes no difference to traffic flow as they are both one way streets. All it does is make life more difficult for visitors and allows traffic to drive faster and more dangerously. Now, if they were to completely ban traffic from that part of Pedro Clisante, as they tried to do before, that would be a real improvement, and would actually benefit visitors.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
On the subject of parking, why have they stopped people doing so where it doesn't help the traffic flow to do so?

Just guessing but maybe to allow for easier offloading of deliveries to the various restaurants, bars & stores. Probably not the real reason but as good as any "they" haven't thought of yet.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Just guessing but maybe to allow for easier offloading of deliveries to the various restaurants, bars & stores. Probably not the real reason but as good as any "they" haven't thought of yet.

Agree now there is no parking next to the little park across from Banco Popular. That's 8 spaces of parking gone for people who want to go to Baileys or Orange or Claro or a couple other nearby shops.

I can remember my mom saying "You're going to play with it till you break it" and it seems that is what's happened to Sosua the past few years.
Any chance the lovely mayor will be reelected?

Sosua has improved drastically in the last 2 years imo. Looks way better with newer buildings being built, the paved roads etc...
Seemed much worse to me when I first got here.
Guess it also depends where you hang out in Sosua...

I also don’t get this freak out about the parking and driving. I always get a spot within fine walking distance to my destination.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I would guess you could reach just about anywhere interesting in Sosua with a walk of maybe 1Km from any other less interesting part.Unless you are physically handicapped I reckon most folks should be able to just about manage that.Or blow the piggy bank and splash out 50 pesos for a motoconcho..Such hardships..

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Agree now there is no parking next to the little park across from Banco Popular. That's 8 spaces of parking gone for people who want to go to Baileys or Orange or Claro or a couple other nearby shops.

I can remember my mom saying "You're going to play with it till you break it" and it seems that is what's happened to Sosua the past few years.
Any chance the lovely mayor will be reelected?
Mayor has been doing a lot..more to come..