Altice, I didn't know and more

singletravel

Oct 13, 2003
Left yesterday from pop, lady took my 2500 overstay fine and said "Te veo pronto" and smiled. Guys there is a difference between a "tourist overstay" and "visa overstay" which continuously gets confused here. The tourist overstay is a gold mine for the DR, it like taking money from a blind man (you have no choice to pay or can't leave the country). The only thing that will happen is one day it will be 5000 to leave (and guess what, you'l pay it and they know it).

Okay, Altice. Was sitting in EWR waiting for my connecting flight doing some whatsapp on my DR phone from the lounge wi-fi and guess what, it stared ringing, wtf? Seems Altice now has roaming in the USA (claro doesn't) and even send me a text message giving me the rates to chat or data. It didn't do that two month ago?? Who do they roam with, just curious ??

Oh, a question? how do I now recharge my Altice card from the USA?? Then when I land again (three weeks) its ready to go?

Back home now (S. Calif) and boy did I miss that pacific breeze, like someone turned on the outside A/C :)

singletravel

TropicalPaul

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
The whole subject of people overstaying on tourist cards has been done to death on DR1. Just in case you missed the other 9,000 threads about this, the deal is that the law has changed and immigration is saying that they will charge you the exit fee and let you leave, but will subsequently refuse people entry if they consistently abuse the system. And of course there is no definition of "consistently" so it appears to be up to immigration officers when you arrive to decide to refuse you entry or not. There are stories of people who have been refused entry, and incessant debates about whether these are true or not. The law says that if you have a tourist card and you overstay you are illegally in the country, and the fact that there has historically been this system of allowing people to pay an exit fee doesn't imply that you are legal. There is also talk of a procedure whereby you can extend the tourist card for up to 90 days, but this seems to involve a visit to Santo Domingo and there are mixed thoughts on how this works, or if it can be done. I think that's about the shape of it. I just hope that we don't have yet another yawn-inspiring thread rehashing all of this over and over and over again.

Claro has roaming in 20 countries, they are listed here: https://www.claro.com.do/personas/servicios/servicios-moviles/roaming/tarifas-cobertura/ . You have to activate this service. I don't know about Altice. If you have a Dominican bank account it is very easy to pay any of the phone companies to top up using internet banking.

Feb 7, 2007
If you have Smart Indetenible plan you get free voice and data roaming in 20+ countries. You use your plan minutes and GB. In-country calls and calls to DR are included. All incoming calls are free. You can also purchase additional GB at discounted prices (same as if you were in the DR).

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
If you have Smart Indetenible plan you get free voice and data roaming in 20+ countries. You use your plan minutes and GB. In-country calls and calls to DR are included. All incoming calls are free. You can also purchase additional GB at discounted prices (same as if you were in the DR).

Yes, postpaid plans in Claro now has roaming using ur data and minutes as if you were here in DR. If you have a Dominican number and start to work aboard without you ask the company to activate the roaming is ilegal and by law they can not charge you.

Waitman

DR1
Dec 12, 2016
waitman.net
You can add money to about any phone using xoom.com. With Altice, after you credit your #, you have to go to the 'mialtice' app and buy data/internet/whatever (using the funds that will appear in your account after you credit it).

Not sure how long altice will be around, I read an article last week that company has serious debt problems and is trying to unload their entire Dominican Republic operation as quickly as possible. So, if you wanted to get in the telco biz now could be a good time :)

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
You can add money to about any phone using xoom.com. With Altice, after you credit your #, you have to go to the 'mialtice' app and buy data/internet/whatever (using the funds that will appear in your account after you credit it).

Not sure how long altice will be around, I read an article last week that company has serious debt problems and is trying to unload their entire Dominican Republic operation as quickly as possible. So, if you wanted to get in the telco biz now could be a good time :)

After they bombarded the entire whole of the country with their horrible colour schemes?

Waitman

DR1
Dec 12, 2016
waitman.net
After they bombarded the entire whole of the country with their horrible colour schemes?

lol seriously. my Altice bill is crazy high IMHO, compared to the service I receive. It's RD$ 8,000 a month. I don't the breakdown between Internet, phones, and TV. They used to send a bill but stopped in February for some reason.

I'm not sure if Claro has TV service?

I do not watch TV. But we have like 450 channels. Most are Spanish but maybe 50 english 10 french, then russian, german, vietnamese, mandarin, etc. And alot of channels look to me like they downloaded stuff off of youtube low-res, or took a video of a video :)

My wife watches just about one thing, on Dominican Republic local channel 7. it's the same soap opera. somehow they must have filmed this show for decades, or maybe it is current. (But the cars are from the 1970's.) The show just never ends. It's about some guy who obviously did nasty things and his family hates him, he is all alone and depressed all the time but tries to see them and they always treat him like **** and scold him. it's the same show over and over. with this depressing godfather type music.

i'm like, why doesn't this guy move to another city? obviously his ex-wife doesn't like him, and his kids hate him. it's like maybe this time they will finally be a happy family again? no, it's the same show again, they treat him like **** and even shoot him with a gun every 10 episodes or so.

Also, I noticed that nobody on the show works. they are always sitting around talking. they are eating and talking, sitting and talking, walking in town and talking, walking in the woods and talking, driving and talking, talking on the phone while in a park, or just standing in the living room talking. nobody has a job.

Anyway, I don't everyone to be upset if the TV stops working.

It's like Altice follows the AT&T playbook (at&t in the USA is horrible) - somewhere on Earth there is _one house_ that has really cool technology, and they advertise that _everywhere_ like that's the service every has or can get. But you have to actually live in that one house where they have the cool service.

http://rink.to/emV
altice-dr.png

j_d66

Nov 1, 2012
Oh, a question? how do I now recharge my Altice card from the USA?? Then when I land again (three weeks) its ready to go?

Back home now (S. Calif) and boy did I miss that pacific breeze, like someone turned on the outside A/C :)

singletravel

I have claro and I use callingmart.com to add to my account to keep my phone and number active
It can also be used for Orange/Altice as well.

Very easy to do you just put in your number and select how much you want to add to your balance. You put the charge on your credit card from USA and within seconds it hit's your account.

There are actually several of them out there that you can make it happen with

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
lol seriously. my Altice bill is crazy high IMHO, compared to the service I receive. It's RD$ 8,000 a month. I don't the breakdown between Internet, phones, and TV. They used to send a bill but stopped in February for some reason.

I'm not sure if Claro has TV service?

I do not watch TV. But we have like 450 channels. Most are Spanish but maybe 50 english 10 french, then russian, german, vietnamese, mandarin, etc. And alot of channels look to me like they downloaded stuff off of youtube low-res, or took a video of a video :)

My wife watches just about one thing, on Dominican Republic local channel 7. it's the same soap opera. somehow they must have filmed this show for decades, or maybe it is current. (But the cars are from the 1970's.) The show just never ends. It's about some guy who obviously did nasty things and his family hates him, he is all alone and depressed all the time but tries to see them and they always treat him like **** and scold him. it's the same show over and over. with this depressing godfather type music.

i'm like, why doesn't this guy move to another city? obviously his ex-wife doesn't like him, and his kids hate him. it's like maybe this time they will finally be a happy family again? no, it's the same show again, they treat him like **** and even shoot him with a gun every 10 episodes or so.

Also, I noticed that nobody on the show works. they are always sitting around talking. they are eating and talking, sitting and talking, walking in town and talking, walking in the woods and talking, driving and talking, talking on the phone while in a park, or just standing in the living room talking. nobody has a job.

Anyway, I don't everyone to be upset if the TV stops working.

It's like Altice follows the AT&T playbook (at&t in the USA is horrible) - somewhere on Earth there is _one house_ that has really cool technology, and they advertise that _everywhere_ like that's the service every has or can get. But you have to actually live in that one house where they have the cool service.

http://rink.to/emV
View attachment 2913

Now all 3 comoanies has Internet, TV, fixed and Mobile lines.

Right now the best offer on Internet price and amount of Gb received is given by VIVA, they dont have the big coverage area as Claro and Altice so if you are a person that is not usually traveling to small towns or rural areas, The company is perfect for you as they have plans that give you only data service without minutes to other companies with option to add credit when you need it and not contract or penalities to cancell and when you use your Gb of your plan the speed is downgrade to 512 kbps

Altice Rised all their prices in all plans, TV service too.

Claro postpaid plans are much better now specially for the people that travel but the internet in their plans are not unlimited, when I travel i survive with WIFI. Claro prices are also expensive.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
Now all 3 comoanies has Internet, TV, fixed and Mobile lines.

Right now the best offer on Internet price and amount of Gb received is given by VIVA, they dont have the big coverage area as Claro and Altice so if you are a person that is not usually traveling to small towns or rural areas, The company is perfect for you as they have plans that give you only data service without minutes to other companies with option to add credit when you need it and not contract or penalities to cancell and when you use your Gb of your plan the speed is downgrade to 512 kbps

Altice Rised all their prices in all plans, TV service too.

Claro postpaid plans are much better now specially for the people that travel but the internet in their plans are not unlimited, when I travel i survive with WIFI. Claro prices are also expensive.

Altice took over Tricom which I utilize for internet service, and the prices have remained the same. I can not speak of their other services and/or packages.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Altice took over Tricom which I utilize for internet service, and the prices have remained the same. I can not speak of their other services and/or packages.
How lo g do you have the service? I used to have Cable tv and cancelled a year ago because they increased my service few times, I starte paying 1,000.00 then went up to 1,071.00 then went up to 1,171.00, and then will be 1,309.00 and I cancelled the service. Here in San Pedro they closed the commercial office, and kept me going back and forth waitting for an authorization to cancell my service because they was a dealer now, Told me if i didnt want eait to go Santo Domingo, so I went before they charge me the new bill and didnt paid nothing to cancell. if I were wait few more days and the new bill was in the system I will had to pay the actual bill and they will cancell the service.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
How lo g do you have the service? I used to have Cable tv and cancelled a year ago because they increased my service few times, I starte paying 1,000.00 then went up to 1,071.00 then went up to 1,171.00, and then will be 1,309.00 and I cancelled the service. Here in San Pedro they closed the commercial office, and kept me going back and forth waitting for an authorization to cancell my service because they was a dealer now, Told me if i didnt want eait to go Santo Domingo, so I went before they charge me the new bill and didnt paid nothing to cancell. if I were wait few more days and the new bill was in the system I will had to pay the actual bill and they will cancell the service.

I have had the internet only service for three years as of this Agosto.