Anybody Take the Turistica Road Lately?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've heard some work has been done on it. Is it drivable? Gotta make a couple of trips to Sosua next week and back in The Day is was a time saver...

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
The ruta panoramica from Santiago to Puerto plata? It's OK even in a car, I like it.

But every time you think "oh good now I'm back on the paved part" don't hold your breath, it'll be dirt again, then paved, then dirt....Lotta times.

I used it twice in the last quarter

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The ruta panoramica from Santiago to Puerto plata? It's OK even in a car, I like it.

But every time you think "oh good now I'm back on the paved part" don't hold your breath, it'll be dirt again, then paved, then dirt....Lotta times.

I used it twice in the last quarter
So...drivable, but no where near fixed.

Too bad. That used to be a fantastic road with incredible views.

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Whats the best route from santiago to sosua now? through navarette and puerto plata?

or would we stiil save time plus enjoy views through la turistica?

Juan Bosch

Dec 8, 2015
A friend drove on it in his motorcycle a few weeks ago.....says repairs are moving forward....drivable and no big holes like before....

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
Navarette to pop is way worse than Ruta panoramica!

Moca to jamoa is OK, but a lot of work near Moca that makes you drive slow over the spots they just installed drainage pipes and the dirt they covered them with is washing out.

cndeh

Jul 23, 2012
I drove it twice last week, down and back to Puerto Plata. There is lots of work being done, lots of heavy truck moving rock and delivering culvert piping. Be prepared to get stuck behind more than one big truck doing 15. It is passable but dont be in a hurry, there are about 8 sections were the traffic is one way and unmanned. In addition there are traffic sign guys stationed around the heavy equipment, about 6 directing traffic around the crews. My suggestion is to drive it during lunch time, all the work stops between 12 and 2.

The road is smooth, no huge potholes by there are now more loose gravel and dirt sections than paved. It's incredibly dusty, windows up is a must but if you are not in a huge hurry it can be easily done in about an hour.

Garyexpat

Bronze
Sep 7, 2012
As stated by others they are making real progress. I'm not sure I am happy about the upgraded condition because I'm afraid that when it is finished it will have too much traffic. I've used it for about 12 years and always liked it, with its great views and nice people if you stop and talk to them. I've given plenty of old timers a lift which they always appreciate.
Progress......I guess.

james

Jan 14, 2002
A friend mine drove it last week from Sosua and said it was 2 hours from Sosua to the Santiago airport. He was quite happy.