Water Safe to Drink

L

Laurie

I'm going to the Coral Hamaca Hotel the end of April. Just read that the water is unsafe to drink in that area. Is this true? Do you have to use bottled water for everything, even brushing your teeth?

Thanks.

J

josgon

As Bob says, never drink the tap water and try to make sure that any ice you consume is also made of bottled water. I used to use bottled water to brush my teeth, but have been using tap water for several years now with no ill effects.

T

thomas

Don't drink tap water. Don't brush your teeth with tap water. Avoid ice unless your sure of its origin. Most reputable establishments will use bagged ice because its in nobody's best interest to have sick patrons. Take some sort of medicine just in case you get sick. NOBODY drinks the tap water, locals included.

B

Bob

NEVER DRINK TAP WATER IN THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC. It should only be used for washing & laundry purposes. Bottled water is available at all the resorts for drinking, Ice in MOST resorts is also made from bottled water. DO NOT BUY COLD DRINKS FROM STREET VENDORS AS IT IS MOST LIKELY THAT THEY USE TAP WATER. Most tap water is polluted with E-Coli bacteria and others which can quickly ruin your holiday. Beer & soft drinks in cans or bottles are safe choices. Enjoy!! Bob.

B

Bob

Re ice in drinks. "Good ice" made in a machine always has a hole through it, & the pieces are all the same size. Ice made from tapwater comes in big blocks which the street vendors break up or make ice shavings by scraping the block to make ice cones which they dribble flavourings on. Again....Don't buy street vendors' drinks. Bob.

N

NewT

I've been getting braver recently. I still use bottled water to brush my teeth but I occasionally rinse my toothbrush with tap water after I'm done. So far I've been lucky but the bottom line is your choices are:

1) Bottled water only

2) Diapers

I am confident you will make the right choice.

C

Candy

Re: Water Safe to Drink--coffee too?

ok i admit it..i'm a caffeine addict....this thread has put me into a panic! ??????? *starting the shakes already just at the thought of 9 days without....ooo ooo! stash Instant in the carry-on!!! aaah!!!!!

D

DR One

Re: Water Safe to Drink--coffee too?

You have to boil the water to make coffee, so no problem. Dominican coffee is much stronger than US coffee. Enjoy, you will be in coffee lover's paradise.

M

Maria

Re: Water Safe. NO, READ THIS!!!!!

AS everyone is saying Do not drink the water. As we just returned, and most of the people we spoke with got sick. It is not just the water you have to be carful what you eat.. Any uncooked veggies or fruit W/skin) should not be eaten as most have been washed in tap water and will make you sick. Take it from me, My husband got very sick and we took extreme pricousions. My advise is to see a Doctor befor you go.

T

Tom

Re: Water Safe. NO, READ THIS!!!!!/Presidente

This getting out of hand, I'm going to have to live on Presidente for two weeks

Tom

T

thomas

Although the question about water appears often, to say it is "getting out of hand" is both condescending and ignorant. People who ask about this important aspect of their DR visit will have a much more positive experience as a result. Too bad EVERYONE can't be as informed and worldly as you are. Enjoy your beer. In fact, brush your teeth with it.

T

Tom

Who squeezed your *&^*&*&^&. Can't you tell when someone is making a "wise" remark? In fact, I often use Presidente to brush my teeth while in the DR

Tom

T

Tom

I should have read your name closer, youre from New York City, that explains the ignorant reply :)

Tom, happily from Maine

M

Maria

I did not want over alarm anyone. But it was played down so much to me that I did not think the situation was as serious as it is. I just don't want anyone to get sick unnecssarly. Just be carful. An talk to your Doctor befor leaving as I have learned there are medications you can talk ahaed of time or bring w/ you. It will make your trip a happier place!! Just trying to help.

T

thomas

Go kiss a moose.

T

Tom

>>>>>>Go kiss a moose. >>>>

Not this time of year, the unusual warm weather is "springlike" and producing an early mating season, sure wouldn't want the big fella to get the wrong impression

Tom

A

Alta

Maria, I just don't believe that you keep telling people that there going to die if they drink water in the DR. Was born and raised in the DR and seeing many uneducated people in this massage board is irritating me. I just can't believe what my eyes are seeing here. From what I see I can tell that you don't read much. Please shut your eyes, don't type anything else If you don't have info.

B

Bob

Just so you don't get the wrong information, moose mate in the Fall, not the Spring!! Canadian Bob.

E

ECH, M.D.

All of this tripe about the water safety and illness and even death from drinking water in the DR is far more comical than the recent television fiasco of Bill Clinton and Monica. 90% of the people offering comments are totally uneducated about the situation, i.e. Public Health and Safety.If you are concerned about your health and safety please contact an expert trained in the field and don't rely on all of this hearsay "evidence". Please put this subject to rest and call your physician or the Health Department (FREE) for advice. All of these messages continue to prove the axiom, "the two most common elements in the Universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity.

N

Nina

Exactly Moe.....If they are so paranoid about travelling to the DR - stay at home! I also lived in the DR, drank the water and am still alive! They should take a trip to their closest city Hotel! And like the doc Ech said - talk to your own doctor before leaving, get the necessary scripts and enjoy!