Pico duarte again

vikem

Jun 23, 2018
Hello,

i am going to Dominicana next week, i would like to reach the highest caribbean peak. I love mountains and i ve already done a lot of km there, so my endurance will not be problem. My hotel is Bayahibe, so what will be the best way to go to, where? Jarabacoa? Is it possible to take bus or something form Bayahibe to Jarabacoa? How long is the journey going to take, i mean to reach the peak? Will be Jarabacoa a good starting point?

Greetings

vikem

Jun 23, 2018
yeah i ve already read it, but 5,500 pesos is not reasonable for me. I would like it much more cheaper. What is the distance of all trip from Jarabacoa to Jarabacoa.

vikem

Jun 23, 2018
yeah i am sorry but dont exaggerate over 300 $ for reach 3100m, i was on much higher peaks and the price was lower.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Hello,

i am going to Dominicana next week, i would like to reach the highest caribbean peak. I love mountains and i ve already done a lot of km there, so my endurance will not be problem. My hotel is Bayahibe, so what will be the best way to go to, where? Jarabacoa? Is it possible to take bus or something form Bayahibe to Jarabacoa? How long is the journey going to take, i mean to reach the peak? Will be Jarabacoa a good starting point?

Greetings

To Hike Pico Duarte must be in the season that is at the beginning of the year as far as I know. Arround February is when I see all the ads about Hiking there, is 7 days journey back and forth.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
To Hike Pico Duarte must be in the season that is at the beginning of the year as far as I know. Arround February is when I see all the ads about Hiking there, is 7 days journey back and forth.

Yes Pico Duarte isn’t something I’d do in summer because of 1. The chance or rain and 2 the blistering sun.
I climbed it once but it was not a 7 day hike (depends on the route). We climbed it in 2 and spend another day in Valle del Tetero. I think the route from San Juan is which takes several days more.

Starting at Manabao it can be done in 1 day if you are very fast.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Yes Pico Duarte isn’t something I’d do in summer because of 1. The chance or rain and 2 the blistering sun.
I climbed it once but it was not a 7 day hike (depends on the route). We climbed it in 2 and spend another day in Valle del Tetero. I think the route from San Juan is which takes several days more.

Starting at Manabao it can be done in 1 day if you are very fast.

I didnt know there was diferent routes, a cousin of mine did the longer route, i searched youtbe and find this video from 2014 and takes almost a week going top and returning and ads I have seen also must be the long one.

https://youtu.be/w-bNsflgjvg