fútbol, fútbol, fútbol

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i know that our mod loves football so i hope she enjoys this thread :)

this year i am watching mundial thanks to diario libre that links all matches through antena 7 en vivo. two commentators, avelino cuadra and damasco garcia are pretty good. i enjoy their narration of the game and info shared during slower times, so to speak: bio of the players, some history, few jokes.

i learnt the rules of football when i was still a kid and watched with my dad but all my vocabulary regarding this subject is in polish. it's the first time i watch and read about it in spanish so i thought i'd make this post to seal the new words and expressions in my memory and maybe help others to enjoy transmissions in dominican media.

let's go, then :)

football field - cancha de futbol
referee - arbitro
goalkeeper - portero or arquero
free kick - tiro libre
corner - tiro de esquina banco popular :laugh:
penalty - penalti
goal (the net) - porteria (i also heard "****" but i think this refers to the immediate area of the goalpost)
yellow card - tarjeta amarilla
red card - tarjeta roja

feel free to add, correct or comment.

ps GO CROATIA!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The Dominican commentators are much less annoying than the Mexicans!

Fuera de juego / fuera de lugar / posición adelantada - offside
Saque de me.ta - goal kick
Saque de banda - throw-in
Balompié - another word for fútbol
Falta - foul

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Good thread. I started one during the 2010 World Cup but it is old and I always believe after a few years it is good to revisit a topic with different posters and a different OP.

Yes, I like soccer (fútbol) but only high level competition like the World Cup. I don't follow the regular league games.

I don't know if this happens to you but for sports I have my preference of which language I like to watch the sport. For example, I prefer soccer in Spanish. I find the English commentary dry but then again it depends on the commentator. For baseball which I do follow regularly, I like it in both languages. It does not matter to me what language I watch the game. I choose if both options are possible but I like Sunday night baseball on ESPN deportes in Spanish. It is fun.

Just based on your list I have some variations:

football field - cancha de futbol -same for me
referee - arbitro- s/b árbitro
goalkeeper - portero or arquero- also guardameta is common but I say arquero
free kick - tiro libre- same
corner - tiro de esquina banco popular - for me that is saque de... (the system blanks out the word. It is the word 'goal' eme a te a)
penalty - penalty- for me it is penal
goal (the net) - porteria (i also heard "****" but i think this refers to the immediate area of the goalpost)- for me it is poste and arco. That is for the post and the net.
yellow card - tarjeta amarilla- standard
red card - tarjeta roja- standard

Adding to your list:

injured- lesionado/ a-
ball- la pelota
to blow the whistle- pitar
to play (the game)- jugar
penalty round- la tanda de penaltis

-MP.

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
also:

match - partido
for throw in (saque de banda) i normally hear: "juega X con los manos" (X being a particular team).
extra time - tiempo extra
changing players - cambio
coach - seleccionador (i think it only refers to the position of the national team coach)
goal - gol
first/second half - primer/segundo tiempo

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Usage, knowledge and understanding of augmentative suffixes come in handy in sports and they are used a lot.

Note the suffix is -azo. Not -aso which you will see in writing all over the internet.

Pelotazo
Golazo
Partidazo

Some teams will have to play un partidazo if they want to stay in the World Cup.

World Cup- El Mundial or La Copa del Mundo

-MP.

Last edited:

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
also:

match - partido
for throw in (saque de banda) i normally hear: "juega X con los manos" (X being a particular team).
extra time - tiempo extra
changing players - cambio
coach - seleccionador (i think it only refers to the position of the national team coach)
goal - gol
first/second half - primer/segundo tiempo

Don’t forget it’s las manos in Spanish 🤽🏻‍♂️

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, you are right, thanks for the correction! i guess mundial is clouding my mind :)

and yes again, "pelotazo" is used in the commentary every 5 minutes or so :)

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Just remembered a few more:

Forward- el atacante or el ariete - striker (which are synonyms for el delantero). I say el ariete or el delantero
Player- el jugador
Team- la selección
Aim- la puntería
Game/ match- el partido
Defeat/ loss- la derrota
Win/ victory- el triunfo
Favourite- el favorito
Midfielder- el centrocampista
Soccer player- el futbolista

Pa’lante Brasil y Uruguay🏆⚽️

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
tie - empate
quater finals - cuartos

From the noun un empate you can form the verb to tie empatar.

For quarter finals you can also say los cuartos de final

After the quarter finals are the semifinals which is las semifinales.

Here is one you hear a lot:

Golear which means to beat a team by a large margin. In the case of soccer that can be three goals or more. Example: Inglaterra goleó a Panamá en el Mundial.

Meaning they got hammered.

Dv8,

Has aprendido mucho en poco tiempo. Felicitaciones. Tú ves hay diferentes maneras de aprender el idioma.

How are you with speaking about the game in Spanish as you are watching?

-MP.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
lo interesante es que veo los partidos con comentario en espanol, leo sobre las reglas del juego en ingles y hablo sobre los resultados en polaco, con mi padre. quizas por el es el unica persona cercana quien ama a futbol.
no tengo problema de entender transmissiones del partidos en antena 7 y creo que gracias a verlos - y ahora gracias a esta discusion - puedo comentarlos en espanol.

ahora mismo estoy viendo el partido entre seleccion brasilena y belgica. los diablos rojos estan ganando 2:0. mi padre debe ser muy conmovido, el soporte el equipo de brasil. pero los belgos juegan bien, con determinacion. hasta ahora no perdieron ningun partido en esta competicion del copa del mundo. me gusta el trabajo del arbitro, parece muy justo, muy concentrado.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
Folks,

This is the World Cup of surprises to say the least. The teams that are traditionally pegged as favourites have made early exits. Overall, I say they all looked weak except Uruguay. All my teams are out now and honestly, I think Uruguay did not show up today! As for Brazil how many chances can you have in one game to score? My goodness. I think their performance was unacceptable for a country that has such a strong soccer history.

The only two teams that will keep me engaged now are France and England but it is an all European World Cup. The South American teams are not at their level.

¡Ojo!- France has a good team!

Well, my words for today are based on today's games:

autogol- own goal

decepcionante- disappointing

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
lo interesante es que veo los partidos con comentario en espanol, leo sobre las reglas del juego en ingles y hablo sobre los resultados en polaco, con mi padre. quizas por el es el unica persona cercana quien ama a futbol.
no tengo problema de entender transmissiones del partidos en antena 7 y creo que gracias a verlos - y ahora gracias a esta discusion - puedo comentarlos en espanol.

ahora mismo estoy viendo el partido entre seleccion brasilena y belgica. los diablos rojos estan ganando 2:0. mi padre debe ser muy conmovido, el soporte el equipo de brasil. pero los belgos juegan bien, con determinacion. hasta ahora no perdieron ningun partido en esta competicion del copa del mundo. me gusta el trabajo del arbitro, parece muy justo, muy concentrado.

Dv8,

Bueno, te puedes comunicar en español. No lo sabía. Muy bien y que sigas practicando para que puedas mejorar.

I read your comment and rewrote what you wrote based on my observations:

Lo interesante es que veo los partidos en español, leo las reglas del juego en inglés y hablo de los resultados en polaco con mi padre. Quizás porque es la única persona (en mi familia) al que le gusta el fútbol.

No tengo problemas de entender los partidos en canal 7. Creo que por haberlos visto en español y gracias a esta charla puedo comentar.

Ahora mismo estoy viendo el partido entre Brasil y Bélgica. Los diablos rojos están ganando 2-0. Mi padre debe estar muy emocionado. Apoya a la selección brasileña, pero los belgas juegan bien con determinación. Hasta ahora no han perdido en este Mundial. Me gusta el arbitraje. Parece muy justo y muy concentrado.

-MP.

Last edited:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Whether or not I'm watching the games I have to listen to ongoing commentary and analysis from my two resident experts.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I hear
"cabezazo" header
"primer y segundo palo" near and far post
"lateral" seems to mean an alternative for "saque de banda" for throw-in, or maybe it just means sideline.
"GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL" means Goal!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
today's goal by russia was called GOLAZO about a thousand times. i think i even heard "golasazo" (spelling?)?

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
today's goal by russia was called GOLAZO about a thousand times. i think i even heard "golasazo" (spelling?)?

I have never heard that and a few entries come up on the web. However, to me it sounds like when someone does not know how to form the augmentative in Spanish. It has the same meaning as golazo which is tremendo gol. It does not come up in the dictionary.

-MP.

Marianopolita

Dec 26, 2003
another word:
CUERPIAR - take/move the ball with the body

I did not watch the Russia vs. Croatia game.

Anyway that is an unusual spelling for an -ar verb in Spanish. As well, no meaning to match yours came up on the web. I only found local meanings that are very regional.

Who knows maybe someone else may know.

-MP.