Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Haiti Riots Over Fuel Cost Increase

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NALs View Post
    Apparently, the DR is to blame for Haiti's gasoline problems. At least that's what Haiti's Prime Minister supposedly said, according to Noticias SIN.

Primer ministro de Haití culpa a RD por su situación con los combustibles

Priceless...
    Did you truly expect a different retort from that side? It is the same old, tired ballad.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

In Cap Haitien.

What saddens me watching this video Nals is how normal all of this seems to be to the everyday people just going about their day. Funny to what people can get use to as "normal".

3. Likes Auryn liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    Did you truly expect a different retort from that side? It is the same old, tired ballad.
    What is the Creole version of "No es mi culpa?" Seems to have infected Haiti.

5. Likes Auryn liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if this has been posted but the US sent a Marine "Augmentation team" to bolster Embassy security

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    What is the Creole version of "No es mi culpa?" Seems to have infected Haiti.
    Perhaps:

Èske se pa li fòt mwen an?
    Clown Central

Be Serious

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Question

After the a fourteen year UN occupation and reconstruction of Haiti's basic infrastructure and government agencies (such as they are), I wonder if the UN or any foreign governments will be willing to pony up the money to repair the government buildings and public facilities destroyed in the latest round of civil unrest?

Haiti might find itself at the end its tether. It obviously can't govern itself effectively or survive on its own. If no foreign powers are willing to prop Haiti up, it will fall to the Dominican Republic to do it. Where will the DR get the money to do that?

I have no animosity towards Haitians; I like them. However, this is the reality of the situation: Haiti was rebuilt with billions in foreign aid, and within weeks of the departure of the UN, the country burns itself down?

The world seems to be on the brink of another global financial crisis, I doubt many countries will be able to help, even if the wanted to. I wonder if the Chinese would be willing to have Haiti as a client state?

Perhaps it's time to build a wall?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ogre of the Caribbean View Post
    After the a fourteen year UN occupation and reconstruction of Haiti's basic infrastructure and government agencies (such as they are), I wonder if the UN or any foreign governments will be willing to pony up the money to repair the government buildings and public facilities destroyed in the latest round of civil unrest?

Haiti might find itself at the end its tether. It obviously can't govern itself effectively or survive on its own. If no foreign powers are willing to prop Haiti up, it will fall to the Dominican Republic to do it. Where will the DR get the money to do that?

I have no animosity towards Haitians; I like them. However, this is the reality of the situation: Haiti was rebuilt with billions in foreign aid, and within weeks of the departure of the UN, the country burns itself down?

The world seems to be on the brink of another global financial crisis, I doubt many countries will be able to help, even if the wanted to. I wonder if the Chinese would be willing to have Haiti as a client state?

Perhaps it's time to build a wall?
    With the help of the new Chinese partners, RD must build a wall. It is far past time. A country without borders is not a country. Plus, it is my understanding of history that the Chinese have experience with building Great Walls.

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently, the DR is to blame for Haiti's gasoline problems. At least that's what Haiti's Prime Minister supposedly said, according to Noticias SIN.

Primer ministro de Haití culpa a RD por su situación con los combustibles

Priceless...
    It was just a matter of time.

Moderator dr1.com

http://www.partidoesperanzademocratica.org/sitio/

Estoy con Ramfis 2020

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jstarebel View Post
    What saddens me watching this video Nals is how normal all of this seems to be to the everyday people just going about their day. Funny to what people can get use to as "normal".
    OKAP is the same in kind but different in degree than the protests in P-au-P. The protests in OKAP were outliers, relatively speaking. That's why you see people going about their daily business--because life remains normal, for the most part, in comparison to p-au-p. Of course, the people acting normally are concerned about what is going on.

I just did a little investigation on the International Monetary Fund. In Wikipedia, you will find a feature call "conditionality" that expresses why deep cuts in social programs are sometimes made. There is much criticism made of this aspect. Futher, you can go to imf.org and select a country, in this case, H for Haiti. I did that and found a brief video clip that explained that the fuel subsidy will be re-instated gradually. So it appears that the IMF has backed off. On the other hand, it could be that ANY change in petrol pricing will incite violent protest. Life on the economic edge does not brook negative change. If you are hungry and there is no money for food, it is fight or die.

12. Likes Squat liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caonabo View Post
    With the help of the new Chinese partners, RD must build a wall. It is far past time. A country without borders is not a country. Plus, it is my understanding of history that the Chinese have experience with building Great Walls.
    Unfortunately, walls are just that...walls. Walls fail: The Berlin Wall, The Great Wall of China...both failed in their purpose and intent. The East Germans still escaped and the Huns and Mongols still invaded. There has to be a better solution somewhere?

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast