Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Advice On Buying Property in Puerto Plata Area

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice On Buying Property in Puerto Plata Area

Quote Originally Posted by arete92 View Post
    Thanks for sharing, I can defiantly see that happening and in fact have, but.. if a individual purchased let's say 3 acres of land and had the appropriate security as in a fence with barb or some other structure around the perim. & dog(s) surely that would be enough to scare off the 90% ? breaking down the demographic who would steal would be 14-30 year olds whom are poor and only have a motoconcho for a means of transportation that have a liter or fuel in the tank would be a little hesitant on going out that far out? especially if there was above average security? it seems to me though from the sentiment of everyones responses you defiantly want some type of community close.

- your last statement though, the 4 AM vehicles starting would drive me nuts and would ultimatley lead me to sell the place. Sometimes I feel as privacy in this country is only something for the most elite.
    Arete,
    fences with barbed wire/razor wire are commonly defeated here by throwing a heavy blanket over the wire, then climbing over.
    dogs are commonly defeated here with a piece of poisoned beef thrown over the fence, a machete, or even a gun... gunshots are not uncommon to hear. If you don’t have a good neighbor nearby who is brave enough to check on you, no one else would think twice about it.

What is your wife’s family’s thoughts on what you’re considering doing? I know that my Dominican friends, maid, etc would advise against it.

2. Likes Wishing you well liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Great, you bought the panels locally? or shipped them from the mainland?
    I bought them in Puerto Plata from North American Solar Panels.... they also installed them, A young Canadian; but I think he flew the coop.

There is a Battery Company in Puerto Plata who also sells, installs and maintains solar panels.... forgot the name ; ut all the usual hustle of sales pitches in RD.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CFA123 View Post
    Arete,
    fences with barbed wire/razor wire are commonly defeated here by throwing a heavy blanket over the wire, then climbing over.
    dogs are commonly defeated here with a piece of poisoned beef thrown over the fence, a machete, or even a gun... gunshots are not uncommon to hear. If you don’t have a good neighbor nearby who is brave enough to check on you, no one else would think twice about it.

What is your wife’s family’s thoughts on what you’re considering doing? I know that my Dominican friends, maid, etc would advise against it.
    Have shared the same concerns talking about both the pros and cons, to be transparent there would be another trusted individual buying this lott with me whom is family but quite honestly after hearing everyones input I think it's better to pay the extra money and be in at least a populated area around working class professionals or other honest ex-pats. Everyone has definatly pushed me away from the campo type of setting, you guys have a lot more years living there than I do so the advice offered I take into consideration. - in the end we're just looking for a decent size lott that offers security and privacy along with the ability and space to grow a med. size gardin and big enough for kids to run around.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for sharing, I can defiantly see that happening and in fact have, but.. if a individual purchased let's say 3 acres of land and had the appropriate security as in a fence with barb or some other structure around the perim. & dog(s) surely that would be enough to scare off the 90% ? breaking down the demographic who would steal would be 14-30 year olds whom are poor and only have a motoconcho for a means of transportation that have a liter or fuel in the tank would be a little hesitant on going out that far out? especially if there was above average security? it seems to me though from the sentiment of everyones responses you defiantly want some type of community close.

- your last statement though, the 4 AM vehicles starting would drive me nuts and would ultimatley lead me to sell the place. Sometimes I feel as privacy in this country is only something for the most elite.
    We're not yet property owners in Puerto Plata, but will be within the next couple of years. We've lived in the city (well, my wife her whole life) since 2011.

I would personally not be willing to live in a house as you describe above. Why? Because, while that might provide some security, more I'd think it would draw a huge amount of attention having such heavy security measures. I've never drawn any attention while living here, and things have not gone that bad for me, quite to the contrary...

We have two small kids, and live currently in a closed street (=gated community), where you cannot even see the houses from the street. This is to say, that unless you are within the community, you cannot see our house. The gate is full iron, you cannot see the street from outside. All the neighbors know all of us, and all these factors make me and my wife feel safe. Every household also has dogs here, are no matter if Edenorte has an apagon going on or not, the street is very brightly lit.

I love the countryside in my country (North-Western Europe), but here I would not live outside of the city, and not in a place I don't know well.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Have shared the same concerns talking about both the pros and cons, to be transparent there would be another trusted individual buying this lott with me whom is family but quite honestly after hearing everyones input I think it's better to pay the extra money and be in at least a populated area around working class professionals or other honest ex-pats. Everyone has definatly pushed me away from the campo type of setting, you guys have a lot more years living there than I do so the advice offered I take into consideration. - in the end we're just looking for a decent size lott that offers security and privacy along with the ability and space to grow a med. size gardin and big enough for kids to run around.
    For my family, what I could consider in the future, is a place in the campo to visit, but a home in the city. My wife's sister has a beatiful wooden house very deep in a campo, which might be the most beautiful place in the DR I've visited. The house is wooden, and obviously without any particular security, but my SIL knows everyone in the small village, and I've always felt safe there. The thing is, that house draws no attention whatsoever. It's no way suitable for full-time living though, but an excellent resort for weekends with the family.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josh2203 View Post
    For my family, what I could consider in the future, is a place in the campo to visit, but a home in the city. My wife's sister has a beatiful wooden house very deep in a campo, which might be the most beautiful place in the DR I've visited. The house is wooden, and obviously without any particular security, but my SIL knows everyone in the small village, and I've always felt safe there. The thing is, that house draws no attention whatsoever. It's no way suitable for full-time living though, but an excellent resort for weekends with the family.
    Thanks for sharing Josh, great points raised it's obvious at this point the campo living is out of the question for me the guys who have contributed to the forum offered solid advice. The only thing I have a hard time accepting to be honest is the lott sizes the recent developments in torres de alta & los coj. seem super small to me most of my friends back yards have a little pool area and perhaps a few bushes. This ofcourse is a subjective thing and it could be resolved buying two lotts? To be clear though I will be building my own house a family member owns a reputable business that supplies most of our needs. I've never actually been in the gated communities in Puerto Plata are there decent size lotts available for say like 1.5-1.8 mil pesos? - I understand where you're coming from in context of the wooden houses in the campo they are beautiful and often have superb space but then again who is going to rob a yuca farmer, not too many hopefully.. as for us we attract too much unwanted attention while there although I have never had issues as well as travelling through the country but have found once seen automatically you're a potential target for something perhaps not a robbery, but something perfect spanish or not. ofcourse hanging around the family and knowing when and how to tell someone no the dominican way sure makes things more smooth and staying away from anything that involves loud music and alcohol When I first started going there like many I tried to swim against the current which just doesnt work at all there and getting things done in general took a long time as well as relying on other to help me, in most of our countries everything is a straight shot and we know what to predict when conducting our business but there everything is a surprise, I have now learned after learning the language and culture in order to mitigate any frustrations I should be indepedent as possible when I say this i mostly mean language, reliable transportation and money that has it's orgins in a different country. Thanks for sharing your experiences again.
    Last edited by arete92; 07-10-2018 at 11:46 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234