Shipping a dog

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
Hello,

My Wife, Daughter, and I will be relocating to Dominican republic in August. We have a 13 week old puppy. In June United changed is policy to no longer ship certain breeds on dogs. Delta and Jetblue have the same restrictions. I even considered Canadian companies, but no luck. My dog is and pitbull/bullmastif mix.

Does anybody know how I can get my dog down to DR
Thank in Advance,

Tom

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
might be a worthwhile to check if she /he can be classified as a service dog

Checked that out already. No dice. And it is so easy get now. You can do it all on-line for like 150$. emotional support animal is a like getting a prescription in Tijuana now.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The breed plus the heat restrictions.... double trouble.

I always do it in Nov/Dec to avoid the heat.

WestJet in Canada is the best - IMO
But after Dec 1 - as I remember

If interested.. I saw Bandogs on the Corotos website... all mastiffs

I have one from Canada
50% Cane Corso, 25% each Am Buldog/Boxer

The mother was the Boxer mix.... 100lbs

My boy is 130-140 lbs.... no need to lock the gate
THe Cane Corso fought w/ the Romans

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
The breed plus the heat restrictions.... double trouble.

I always do it in Nov/Dec to avoid the heat.

WestJet in Canada is the best - IMO
But after Dec 1 - as I remember

If interested.. I saw Bandogs on the Corotos website... all mastiffs

I have one from Canada
50% Cane Corso, 25% each Am Buldog/Boxer

The mother was the Boxer mix.... 100lbs

My boy is 130-140 lbs.... no need to lock the gate
THe Cane Corso fought w/ the Romans

Sounds like one Hell of a dog you have there. I'll check with westjet. Thank you so much!

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Check Air Canada too. Heat restriction might be an issue for August but maybe someone could keep him for a few months?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
...Don sounds like the problem a girl friend of mine has....she is very persistant to bring one of those huskies from Minnesota to the DR,you know the big black and white one, at least 25% timber wolf, the more I tell her to forget it, the more she wants one....I had one in northern Mn., In the winter it would sleep in the snow...never work here in this heat.........Doc......

drisforme

May 28, 2016
I brought my 2 pugs on Jetblue from JFK.(Less than 20 pounds).
They have being living with me for the past couple of months without any problems.
However ,they are definitively some precautions to take which may not be available to all.

I am lucky enough to live in front of the beach so they can take advantage of a nice brise most of the day.
I walk my dogs early morning and in the evening.They go out in the middle of the day for a very short time .Can stay in the shade when windy. I have A/C in the house which is a must for those kind of dogs for some of the very heat day/time of the day .Fan is always running in their room.

Bottom line, if you love your pets as I am and if you do have those kind of dogs very sensitive to heat ,you really need to take extra precautions in DR .If you are not willing to do so or you cannot, for the health of the dog ,it's certainly better to find an other loving family from where you are coming from !

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
West jet is the best for flying pets ...I just flew back home and puppy was in back row... cargo is another thing because of extreme heat..
we do not accept pets as cargo from May 15 to October 31 on any flight from these WestJet Cargo destinations:

Dominican Republic (Puerto Plata, Punta Cana, Samana)
Mexico (Cabo San Lucas, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta)
United States (Fort Lauderdale, Miami, Houston)

judypdr

Jul 23, 2011
Costambar
If he is still small enough, he could fly in the cabin. I don't believe the breed restrictions apply to cabin travel!

drisforme

May 28, 2016
If he is still small enough, he could fly in the cabin. I don't believe the breed restrictions apply to cabin travel!

Correct on JetBlue. Does not have any breed restrictions
However ,pet needs to weight less than 20 pounds and be put under the seat in a specific bag.

https://www.jetblue.com/traveling-together/traveling-with-pets

Service/emotional dogs don't have the weight/size required .
However ,it's getting more restrictive to have your pet flagged as service dog.
Jetblus changed the rules recently :
https://www.jetblue.com/at-the-airport/special-assistance/service-dogs-animals/

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
hard to qualify a puppy as a trained service animal... I think

pet flying has become quite a game recently....much harder

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013
Hello,

My Wife, Daughter, and I will be relocating to Dominican republic in August. We have a 13 week old puppy. In June United changed is policy to no longer ship certain breeds on dogs. Delta and Jetblue have the same restrictions. I even considered Canadian companies, but no luck. My dog is and pitbull/bullmastif mix.

Does anybody know how I can get my dog down to DR
Thank in Advance,

Tom

If a puppy can she still fit in a travel bag under your seat as a cabin dog? AA charges $125 and JetBlue $100

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
Check Air Canada too. Heat restriction might be an issue for August but maybe someone could keep him for a few months?

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

I called air canada. They don't ship the breed. I do have someone to watch the dog. So Im praying westjet is a go.

Don PISTOLAS

Mar 6, 2018
Correct on JetBlue. Does not have any breed restrictions
However ,pet needs to weight less than 20 pounds and be put under the seat in a specific bag.

https://www.jetblue.com/traveling-together/traveling-with-pets

Service/emotional dogs don't have the weight/size required .
However ,it's getting more restrictive to have your pet flagged as service dog.
Jetblus changed the rules recently :
https://www.jetblue.com/at-the-airport/special-assistance/service-dogs-animals/
Jetblue is a go as a emotional support animal. Going to cost around 150 $ from an online service.

Thank you everyone for your feedback!! Now time to cancel my Delta flighy as they banned Pitbull type dogs July 10th, even as emotional support dogs. Smh..