Driving At Night

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
With associated credit to DR1 Daily News, I copy and paste the following article as a topic for further discussion amongst the community.....

Don’t drive at night on Las Americas
Journalist Felicia Mota and her daughter Alicia Morillo alerted against driving at night on the Las Americas Expressway that links the Las Americas International Airport and the city of Santo Domingo. She reports that unscrupulous persons continue to throw stones and other objects at the vehicles in the evening, in order to cause windshield breaks so the drivers stop, making them victims to robberies.

As reported, Mota said that she was a victim of the assailants when driving between La Ureña and La Caleta. She suspects the purpose was to force them to stop. "I got nervous and asked my daughter not to stop the vehicle because these criminals would rob us and I told her to keep going," said Felicia Mota, who is a television producer.

Mota said that the seriousness of the case is that when she went to the insurance company for the damaged vehicle, she was told that hers was the 12th claim by clients who had suffered the same situation. She said that many are entire families returning from beach outings in the eastern part of the country.

While the new alert is for driving on Las Americas Expressway, the general advice is to avoid driving at night in the country.

http://elnacional.com.do/apedrear-au...-las-americas/

(Moderators: I was not sure if this should be placed within General Stuff or a Travel related thread. Also, there appear to be two posting contributions regarding this topic following the DR1 news releases for the day. Can they be transferred to this thread?)

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
As a practice, I myself typically try to avoid night driving at all costs regardless of where I happen to be in the world.

Sep 4, 2012
As a practice, I myself typically try to avoid night driving at all costs regardless of where I happen to be in the world.

Exactly. Same posture I take, regardless of country I happen to be at.

Chris Rock said it better, there are only three types wondering around late at night:

- Hoes

- Drunks

- Criminals

With respect to the article, I've already posted under the DR1 News thread.

jahjahwarrior

Mar 14, 2017
I drive here at night all of the time... But I avoid the capital like the plague.

Why come to paradise only to travel to hell?

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
With associated credit to DR1 Daily News, I copy and paste the following article as a topic for further discussion amongst the community.....

Journalist Felicia Mota and her daughter Alicia Morillo alerted against driving at night on the Las Americas Expressway that links the Las Americas International Airport and the city of Santo Domingo. She reports that unscrupulous persons continue to throw stones and other objects at the vehicles in the evening, in order to cause windshield breaks so the drivers stop, making them victims to robberies.

As reported, Mota said that she was a victim of the assailants when driving between La Ureña and La Caleta. She suspects the purpose was to force them to stop. "I got nervous and asked my daughter not to stop the vehicle because these criminals would rob us and I told her to keep going," said Felicia Mota, who is a television producer.

Mota said that the seriousness of the case is that when she went to the insurance company for the damaged vehicle, she was told that hers was the 12th claim by clients who had suffered the same situation. She said that many are entire families returning from beach outings in the eastern part of the country.

While the new alert is for driving on Las Americas Expressway, the general advice is to avoid driving at night in the country.

(Moderators: I was not sure if this should be placed within General Stuff or a Travel related thread. Also, there appear to be two posting contributions regarding this topic following the DR1 news releases for the day. Can they be transferred to this thread?)

It can stay here. Thanks for bringing this up.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
maybe this would be the right time for a sting operation, and to kill a few of these fools. bad news travels fast. their friends might turn to a different occupation.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i am myopic so at night i do not see very well, even worse so at dusk and dawn. with this, i avoid driving at night and only do it when necessary. that stone throwing scam is a frequent one and also happens during the day. the best advice is to keep on going until you reach a safe place to stop (gas station for example).

always a good advice for those who do not drive regularly in DR is to follow metro bus (or in a pinch, caribe tours). they go at steady speed, they know the road and they are pretty decent drivers.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
always a good advice for those who do not drive regularly in DR is to follow metro bus (or in a pinch, caribe tours). they go at steady speed, they know the road and they are pretty decent drivers.
IF you can keep up with them.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
maybe this would be the right time for a sting operation, and to kill a few of these fools. bad news travels fast. their friends might turn to a different occupation.

A sting would be smart, and at least make some sort of an example of the culprits for awhile. Stray animals are dangerous enough at night, it's really time for action against this nonsense once and for all.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
I do travel at night in Santo Domingo Colonial Zone but only by Taxi .... In fact I have never in 9 years driven in this country.
Espossa is good defensive driver and Taxi is same one every time.
Russell

ZC1

Dec 8, 2013

Why don't the police patrol the highway and arrest or at the very least disburse any individuals lurking?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Why don't the police patrol the highway and arrest or at the very least disburse any individuals lurking?

scatter them? naah. they will be back in two hours. there is nothing wrong with these guys that some gunfire cannot fix.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If they tried this crap with me we would not need a sting. A few more notches on my Glock would be added.

Caonabo

LIFE IS GOOD
Sep 27, 2017
I drive here at night all of the time... But I avoid the capital like the plague.

Why come to paradise only to travel to hell?

I take the driving at night to be the sort that you explain to participating in. Not so much the driving within an urban populated locale which offers it's own particular challenges and dangers. For example, one wrong turn. It is outside of a densely populated where concern arises, at least for myself.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
IF you can keep up with them.

it's easier to keep up with metro as they go a bit slower. caribe tours normally go a lot faster and their driving style is... hmm... questionable at best. with metro if you can keep a safe distance behind - enough to stop if they floor the breaks - you will be ok (for the most part). although i understand where you come from, i tend to drive slower after dark to give myself more reaction time in case something happens. but it's equally dangerous to drive too slow at night, especially on highways.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The other night at twilight as I was coming back from Santiago on the autopisto I saw a toyota jeepeta starting to pull out from a side road so I moved over to the left lane. He immediatly crossed over two lanes directly in front of me and I had to quickly brake and sverve back into the right lane. Thankfully nobody else close by. In my younger days there would have been a confrontation. I am now wiser.