Expatriot info. needed

kris

Apr 26, 2002
It is my understanding that when having expatriot status you are allowed back into the states a maximum of 65 days per year. We own a company in the D.R. and have 2 US citizen employeed, we also have an office in the States. Can we send them back on business without it being included in the 65 day restriction?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Am a US citizen with permanent residency in the Dominican Republic. Have been living here since 1986. Have never heard of such a rule and know of no other expatriate that has ever experienced any sort of restriction on his stay in the US.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Kris,

To be sure that you get accurate information rather than information that someone has heard from someone else, you should contact the American Consulate. Whatever you get from any other source is suspect.

Ken

billshar

Jan 15, 2002
The IRS states that in order to qualify for a 911 exclusion you must be out of the US or and US territory for 335 days out of any 365 days. The is another exclusion that depends on being out for a calendar year. A 911 exclusion means that the first $72,000 is tax free.

Check with yuor tax advisor in the US.

Something as simple as being on a plane that flies over the US Virgin Islands costs you a day.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Close , but no cigar billshar.

If they are paid for working in the US, that income is DOMESTIC U.S. income, and is not covered by the Foreign Earned Income exclusion of US$80,000 for tax year 2002.

Even if you qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, and have some days of work within the US, you must pay taxes on the income received for work done within the U.S.

There are 2 ways of qualifying for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion: official residence in another country, OR being absent from the US and its territories for at least 330 days out of 365 days.

The rules are also different for those foreign citizens who have a U.S. Green Card, and their presence in the US and taxes owed.

Talk to a US tax attorney for specifics.

Regardless of your absence as a US citizen, you must still file a 1040 tax return annually if you earned money or were paid interest, dividends, had capital gains, etc. ANYWHERE in the world, or you face the possibility of having the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion revoked and then owing the full amount of income taxes on the full amount of earnings. If you don't file a 1040, there is no statute of limitations on the IRS for coming after you, and as well,they tack on penalties and interest galore. They always have a hook.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Yo gringo,

Do you have to file if you are a permanent resident of another country? Is that last part just relating to if you are out of the country 335 days a year?

Not that it would make a difference, when I finally go I aint a coming back:)

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
If you are still a US citizen, live anywhere in the world and receive any money above the minimal limit needed to be required to file a return, (I think this is about $600 or $700 a year now) you have to file a 1040 every year. The only income that is covered under the Foreign Earned Income exclusion is EARNED income from working outside the US. Investment income doesn't count under this exclusion.

If you have investment income from accounts in the US, you must still pay capital gains taxes even if you live in the DR. But I think if you have investment real estate here, you can still depreciate it , etc just as if you were in the US (I remember you were into that in the US).

Talk to a US tax attorney who really understands expatriate taxes.

A good inexpensive first source of information I have found is a book written by Jane Bruno dealing only with expatriate US citizen's taxation, and her website is www.americantaxhelp.com.

The book was about $20 or $25 and worth much more than the expensive advice I got from several other CPA's and a tax attorney before I found her. It is the only book I have found that really deals with most tax issues that expatriates must consider, and when it is a deep subject, she tells you in the book to go to an attorney and talk about it, instead of relying on her book.