proof DR govt steals your money

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
The Daily News today reported that Hippo Mejia is considering another round of Sovereign bonds. Lets examine how the first US$500 is being spent. Bare with me, this might be long....

1. Interest rate: 15.5% equivalent .....not 9.5%. The published reports of 9.5% is very misleading. This rate is what is called the Coupon Rate. When most of us think of a loan, we think for example a car loan: 5 years, 7% in USA. At the end of the 5 years the car is yours. The US$500MIL is a 5 year loan, but it is an interest ONLY loan. This means that at the end of the 5 years, the DR governmen STILL OWES US$500MIL. That's on top of having paid US$237MIL along the way. Thats equivalent to a Principal and Interest (most loans you and I know of) loan of 15.5%. Now you know why they are talking about a new loan,which will be used to pay back the old one. To be fair, this is pretty much what the USA does.

2. US$2.5MIL finders fee for bankers and friends (not itemized)

3. http://www.contraloria.gov.do/web site contraloria/default.htm

shows the loan to have been transferred 9/28/01 to the DR Central Bank. The Central Bank transferred the US$286.5MIL to the Treasury on 3/28/02 at an avergage exchange rate of 16.9.
What happened to the interest for those 6 months? Thats another >US$2.8MIL. Much more of the money had been sitting in a DR$ account.

4. Exchange rate. On 3/27/02 the Central bank transferred US$27.615MIL from the loan the the DR treasury in pesos using an exchange rate of 17.15. THAT SAME DAY, the Treasury through the Central Bank made the bi-annual coupon payment of US$23.75MIL. The Central Bank exchanged the Treasury's pesos using an exchange rate of 17.96. Thats a 5% profit for the Central Bank. Not bad for pressing a button on a computer. That's a 5% loss just on the exchange rate from your own Central Bank: 5% of US$737MIL=US36.85MIL.

5. Of the DR$4.844BILL the Central Bank gave the Treasury, DR$4.02BILL was actually sent to be spent. What happened to the DR$800MIL? Thats another US$85MIL unaccounted for.

BOTTOM LINE: of the US$500MILL, US$125MILL was skimmed even before it got the the agancies. If history is an indication, 70% of the remainder will go to "salaries"..leaving US$112MIL for capital investment..what kind of return do we need to pay back US$737MIL?

Jane J.

ditz
Jan 3, 2002
Bare with me, this might be long....

Dude - are you asking us to get naked with you?

(Sorry, I couldn't resist...)

All that other stuff you posted? Is pretty unbelievable. I mean, I believe YOU, but how do they get away with crap like that?

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
executive summary of current and projected thefts

US$500M -US$2.5M (finder's fee) -US$2.8M(interest not paid:9/01-3/02) - US$36M (exchange rate spread by Central Bank) - US$85M n ot paid out by Treasury = US$125M lopped off right off the bat.

US$375 X .3 (most of the money will go to new gov't "employees") = US$112M left over for investment!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Yesterday we got this supplement in the Hoy Newspaper from the Gov't printers

And it looks impressive and so honest of the Government. So Transparent.

Of course they can do this; there are not very many Mondongos out there that can read and understand what was printed on that paper.

Postal? Come on PIB, we can do better than Postal...let's see?
Can we go PLO? ETA? Laden? Naw! Dominicans are too tame, except when it comes to beating up on their wives..no balls to go against the government if they aren't brainwashed with communist ideologies...

The only possible way for something to happen is with the vote!

Vote anything but PRD in the coming elections and see if it brings some results. If not, in two years, vote for someone else.

HB
needs_a_shave.gif

cled

Jan 3, 2002
It is not only the PRD

The numbers posted by Mondongo are not surprising to me knowing some of the history of the DR Govts. I think Leonel did a good job in starting to take us away from the trend. But currently having a Presindent that 1) quite honestly is not competent for job and 2) doesn't have advisers that are to the task, and having the Congress controled by the President's party has led to the old ways of doing things to resurface. I don't see many people not voting PRD since they vote based on loyalty to party rather than for individual canditates. Luckily the recent decision by JCE to have individuals run for post (as opposed to the party picking from a list who gets what) will start a positive path for the DR.

Mondongo, thanks for the numbers.... I knew there was something fishing about them. :)

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Cled: I was just amazed that the disappearance of the money was of public record. That is very brazen. There was actually another set of inconsistent data I read from the Central Bank web site. The numbers from the Leonel administration made much more sense than those of the Hippo jokers. The numbers form the Mejia administration literally did not add up. I'll assume I just did not understand the web page.

Hillbilly: vote early,vote often..I'm counting on you DR1 readers to oust these guys.

Jane J.,Pib: maybe you two DR1 Divas can help translate a scathing e-mail i'm about to send the DR Treasury dept..(my spanish is at the level of an 8 year old :( )