Gri-Gri laguna

Harry

Apr 29, 2002
Hallo

We want to go to laguna gri gri from puerto plata , wher do we have to get of te bus , is it in rio san juan itself ?
Homuch must we pay to get arround in the laguna by boot ?
Al help is welcom !

Adrienne and Harry

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I am surely not the expert on all Rio San Juan

But I've been there many times. Let's see if I can be of any help,

Gri-Gri is in the town of Rio San Juan. You have to get off in the same town. I would guess that there are busses going from POP to the town and back.

This is all the help I can provide, not much, I know. Be patient, the cavalry is on its way.

azul

Apr 17, 2002
laguna grigri

i i'm use to be travel agent and i've been in D-R many many time all aroud the island and once i've been near by laguna grigri with dominicans friends and by experience it would be nice and better for you to take arrangement with a local taxi cab with a fix price to round trip i'm sure he would be happy to take you over there and come back at a time that you fix with him before he is coming back at the time and he will be the best guide for you and he will maybe because of you feed his family that day very well.....

think about it and feel free to try it you will not regret...
be sure to not pay or half of the trip before he leave.

have a good time in D-R
AZUL

Harry

Apr 29, 2002
Laguna gri gri

Thanks you azur but we will by then in Rio San Juan so we do not need a cab , just need to now were te entnrance is of laguna gri gri and te price for te boat trip to take us in te laguna .

mvg
Harry

Tibu

Mar 19, 2002
Harry,

the Guagua-routes from Puerto Plata and Nagua terminate in Rio San Juan at the road that goes into town (Caribe tours terminal is also next to it). Walk down this road to the other end (about 1/2 mile), there you find the boats, very easy.

I am not sure about the actual prices, but they became very expensive during the last years. I think in 1996 it was RD$300/boat, now it is RD$600.

My recommendation: Try to be there on a day with calm water. Do not go on a day with high waves, especially if the boaters tell you that they can not go to the open water. In that case they will offer you a "short" tour through the mangroves at maybe half the price, but it is only worth 1/4 of it.

"Make friends": The price is for up to 10 people in one boat. Try to find other tourists who share it with you, if you are there in the morning try to join a group from one of the tour busses. Boats can carry easily 20 people.

But I really recommend to take the tour, it is a highlight.
In the vicinity you find some nice bars and restaurants. Or even better: Go bathing and eat grilled fish at Playa Caleton, 1 mile east of Rio San Juan. To me the best beach all around.

BTW: Here you find some pictures: http://www.playagrande.de/Bildatlas/Picture_Gallery/picture_gallery.html

Bye

Tibu