Assistance please

Jules

May 7, 2002
I am looking for information that will help me be able to help my brother who is living in the DR. He is a good, trusting, gullable American.
I am wondering if someone could give me information, so that I can get in touch with a Catholic Charities organization or some other source for assistance. I am also, looking for answers to some questions regarding the local culture and the workings of marriage situations and child custody situations, between natives and Americans. If anyone could give me some trustworthy sources to go to this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanking you in advance,
Worried in the US

Jules

May 7, 2002
Native American apologizes

Boy do I ever apologize. I did not mean to offend anyone. I have never been to the Dominican Republic, and I certainly was not aware that this language would be offensive. I consider myself a Native American because I was born in the USA. I assumed that was how others would interpret this term. Big mistake. I guess huge mistake from what I now understand.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I'm an American. Most comonly "native American" is used in connection with American Indians.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
It would be better if you asked a more specific question on child custody. In the Dominican Republic the mother is usually given custody in case of a divorce. If the father seeks custody, he needs to go to court. Regarding charitable organizations, there are lots of them. Again, you should be more specific.

Jules

May 7, 2002
True, it is commonly referred to American Indians, however I was using it in context to Websters definition 1 and 3 below:

Main Entry: native
Function: noun
Date: 1535
1 : one born or reared in a particular place
2 a : an original or indigenous inhabitant b : something
indigenous to a particular locality
3 : a local resident; especially : a person who has always lived in
a place as distinguished from a visitor or a temporary resident