Commercial Paper Investments in DR

MikeKO

Apr 12, 2002
What are the typical returns on Commercial paper investments in $US and Pesos in the Dr?

Thanks,
Mike

hbernard

Apr 18, 2002
MikeKO

Are you taking about credit letters, or HYIP, what kind of commercial paper you are talking about?

J.P.

MikeKO

Apr 12, 2002
This type of investment is new to me. I've read that you can get some better interest (compared to CD's) on "commercial" paper, but no detail. I'll be moving (retired) there (the DR) in Nov/Dec this year, and I was trying to get the money issues straight. Obviously there is more involved than I know about. I'm at your mercy, so if you could generate some enlightenment I would appreciate it.

Mike

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
There was a websight that was posted about commercial paper I have bookmarked but I checked my home computer and my office computer and cant find it. I will check on my laptop tomorrow so I can post it for you. The site wasn't in English and I didn't understand it. It had short term obligations of DR businesses such as Car Rental, Oil Companies etc..

You can get about 18% in the bank on good sized CD's in Peso now fwiw. You can get about 9% on US Dollar CD's on large money.

I can give you a finance house that you can get 14% on US Dollars and 21% on Peso if that interests you. I am invested in both from time to time.

Regards

MikeKO

Apr 12, 2002
Thanks Escott,

1. Yes I would like the name of the financial house you are refering to.

2. And the URL won't hurt. I need to practice my spanish anyway.

Regards,
Mike

mondongo

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
retirement

http://www.bobbrinker.com/pitopics.asp?sub=162443197&tut=947632578

This is a good site that explains RISK/REWARD and how you should weigh the two as you near retirement.

http://www.bolsard.com

Thats the site (that I know of) for commercial paper listing in the DR. It does not have as much information as it used to. It used to print what each company was paying for commercial paper of different maturities. My guess is that they dont list their interest rates anymore because rates are changing was too fast now(that should sound an alarm for you).

Are you going to put your hard earned retirement money in commercial paper of a company of the friend of a sister's hairdresser who knew a campesino named Papito?

The only local DR compnay that issues commercial paper (that i'm aware of,not talking about multinationals) that is listed in the NYSE is Tricom (ticker symbol TDR). Standard and Poor just donwgraded their commercial paper to "junk" status. If you look at their financial statements, you'll understand why. They have US$500MILLION in debt, have very poor cash flow....and in their income statement show "ZERO" for Research and Development (lie). Basically what this means is that they have a pretty good chance of defaulting on some of their debt.

Bottoom Line: according to ALL (i dont mean some or most) financial planners and those who have been investing for a long time, at retirement you should only put a small amount of your retirement funds in any single high risk instrument.

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Mike,

The second URL that Mondango listed was the one I had bookmarked. They did change their website and it is even harder for me to understand than before.

Best thing to do is to go there in person and speak to them.

I think all their obligations are in Peso and not in Dollar.

Regards