jdbgmgr.exe Virus Hoax

El Viejo

Jan 2, 2002
There's a new virus hoax going around. I received it this morning and checked it out BEFORE I deleated the file.

"Subject: Virus Alert

To all:
There was a virus that made it was past antivirus systems. The
virus stays quiet for 14 days before damaging the system.I checked, found
and deleted it. Now it's your turn!
1. Go to Start, Find or Search option
2. In the files/folder option, write the name jdbgmgr.exe
3. Be sure you search in your C: drive
4. Click "find now"
5. The virus has a little bear icon with the name jdbgmgr.exe
DO NOT OPEN IT
6. Right click and delete it (it will then go to the Recycle Bin)
7. Go to the Recycle Bin and delete it there as well, or empty the bin.
IF YOU FIND THE VIRUS YOU MUST CONTACT ALL THE PEOPLE IN YOUR ADDRESS BOOK
SO THEY CAN ERADICATE IT IN THEIR OWN ADDRESS BOOKS."

You can read about it at-http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.file.hoax.html

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Stop this virus hoax BS.

This is from the hoax page:

In April 2002 there appeared a hoax message concerning a new virus that was reportedly discovered in Windows utility JDBGMGR.EXE. The jdbgmgr is a standard windows component that is found in every windows installation, it is used as Java debugger manager in Microsoft Java runtime engine. We checked several versions of this utility from Windows installations and found nothing malicious in them.

Please ignore this hoax or anything similar warning about jdbgmgr.exe and don't pass it on.

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
Hoax

I unfortunately fell for this hoax. how can I recuperate this file or if not how important is it? I also sent it to everyone in my address book as instructed!!

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Can also be obtained from Microsoft!

Just go to the Windows upgrade link or go directly to microsoft.com and they'll help you out!

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Mommy

I'm having a bit of trouble finding that file for a friends computer (on the MS site you suggested) could you provide the details for obtaining the one file, the automatic update won't select it

Janice

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Mommy, settle a bet for us?

Everyone says it is daylight out (Mt time), can you confirm this for us?

Janice

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
Click on the Support heading at the top of the page.....

either from the Windows update main page or the microsoft.com main page. When the "support" page comes up look for the "contact Microsoft Online" link. Don't worry about the "Passport" if you don't have one you are given the opportunity to obtain one.
Click on the link and fire away with your request.......Tech support should get back to you almost immediately.....

As for daylight in MT I haven't a clue.....I live in an EDT zone and it stays light here until about 9:30 pm at present with the "days" still getting longer! :p