Bahia de Las Aguilas - Las Cuevas (long)

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
With all the controversy about Bahia de Las Aguilas, I remember I trip we made there 4 years ago. I was told it was the most beautiful place on earth, and it is; but the thing that stuck in my mind is a place called Las Cuevas (the caves) just before the road gets really bad, that's where people leave the cars and get on SUVs to make the rest of the trip, if you don't have one then you can't continue (we were travelling with two vehicles). The caves are caves where people actually live, if you can call that living. I went into one of the caves and even took pictures, it was dark (of course there was no electricity) and damp and moldy, there were lots of children living there. I promised myself I would go back with clothes for the children and school supplies (even thogh I didn't see any schools nearby), I gave them money and bought beautiful shells they sold me for ten pesos (they would go for $150 in Boca Chica).

I have not heard any plans to relocate these people or give them housing, they still live there, in sub-human condition. I am planning to go back with clothes and toys for the children, also some non- perishable medicine, if anyone is interested in helping, even making the trip, please let me know. I would like to collect used clothing and used toys, not only for those children, but lots of children in the southwest part of the country (Barahona - Pedernales) that are not as fortunate as other children.

I did this in December (in Barahona), but was only able to give some toys that I bought myself (dolls and cars you get from Mundo de Juguete for 15-40 pesos each), I gave them out on January 5 (day used in DR to give toys to the children) and next thing I knew more children were coming and I had to give them money 'cause I was out of toys (I was also out of money pretty soon), but the satisfaction you see on their little faces is enough to compensate for the trouble and the financial hardship.

If anyone is interested in reading about the people that live in the caves please click on this link
http://www.listin.com.do/cuerpos/dinero/din2.htm

Marilyn

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Live and learn...

Marilyn, thank you for bringing this up. It shows how much I don't know about my own country (I am trying, I am trying). I think that what you did is wonderful and if you are planning a new trip I would like to go.

I have been paying attention to the plans of His Dumbness of "developing" Bah?a de las Aguilas, and I am very concerned. This government has shown no respect whatsoever to the enviroment, this new info just brings another whole new dimension to the issue. If anyone else has anything else to add to this (someone that actually knows something) I would love to hear more about it.

Last edited:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
An idea for some help

I only know what I've read about this, but I'd offer this idea for help.

How about a day/place for people to drop off goods (canned goods - canopener? - clothes, water, basic medicines, first aids and such) in S.D. or some other common place?

I would gladly buy a bag of canned goods or the like and offer that and whatever else I can think of. I'd offer some of my clothes but I can't handle rejection very well.

Marilyn where are you based?

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Sorry it took so long to answer but my phone was out of service for almost a week... I'm based in Santo Domingo. I will let everyone know when I'm ready to make the trip (it's a good 6 hour trip one way from SD)... thanks for offering

P.S.: clothes would be appreciated too, I don't think those people would reject it :)

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
Hiya Marilyn!

I posted something on the new forum (Trip Reports). I got to see it last weekend. I have some ideas of my own. Why don't you email me, we can work something out.

:cool:

Andr?

Feb 15, 2002
www.reisenundhelfen.de
organize help for the people ?

Hello,
with my homepage www.reisenundhelfen.de i to organize help for people in the DR. I give information about charities near a hotel! This time i have one charity near the Santana Beach Resort!
If you are intresting so send me the pictures with all informations you have !
Please take a look on my homepage it?s a privat non profit page!
And if you wan?t email me andre.kirch@reisenundhelfen.de

Best Regards
Andr? Kirch from Germany

El Jefe

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I forsee a big mess happening. Hippo wants to build 6000 hotel rooms near the Bahia de Las Aguilas. They say an environmental impact statement must be done first. Bet I can tell you the outcome now...Hippo $$$-Environment -zero. I would like to see some tourist development but it should be limited. The area is just now coming back from what I understand was overfishing. The sealife is slowly being restored. The area south of Cabo Rojo is pristine wilderness and should stay that way. There should be no development except for a few road improvements and maybe some visitor centers. All other development should be north of Cabo Rojo and again...limited...NO AIs.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I agree El Jefe...

I'm sure the deal has already been done and the corruption/commission cuts already agreed on.

I'm sure if the environmental impact study is negative, they will just replace the minister (Moya Pons) and call him incompetent.

I actually feel quite sad, as I know Moya Pons is straight and works tirelessly.
It's a shame some of the people around him are on a different political agenda.
Similar to the Vikings, rape, pillage and plunder.
Maybe that should be the PRD's next campaign slogan?

Let's hope that common sense and what's best for the environment win the day.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
Tears of grief and shame

I agree with everyone in not upsetting the ecology of the Jaragua National Park, unfortunately now i'ts a done deal, there's no turning back the wheels when pure and unadulterated greed starts controlling the minds of people. No one will protest anything because pretty soon money will start changing hands. The only bright side of the coin is that Pedernales will wake up from it's long lethargy and it's people will have another source of income, after the Alcoa Mining Co. left the town, there's no source of steady income, they don't even have a university, the closest one being in Barahona (2 1/2 hours away), I know of people that travel every Saturday leaving at 5AM so they can get to class at 8AM and come back home after 8pm.

I can imagine Mother Nature crying tears of grief and shame :cry: at what will be done to that beautiful place.

Last edited: