Dominican Coin Collection

Georgehere

May 15, 2002
I am starting a Dominican Republic Coin Collection. Does anyone know where I can buy some DR Coins.
Thanks,
George

MommC

On Vacation!
Mar 2, 2002
dr1.com
I have a nice little carded set that was a gift...

It is like the "collector" sets you can buy of American and Canadian and British coins.
I've seen them for sale in Plaza Central (don't remember which store tho')

Alain

Feb 12, 2002
Dominican Coins

You can try Ponterio, a well-known coin dealer in the US. They hold auctions on a regular basis and sometimes you find nice early "proof" strikings (rather rare) from the '30's, and down to the late 19th century.

www.ponterio.com

Otherwise, anywhere you may look at coin shows, and other dealers... Yes eBay can be a good source. Sadly, very few old really collectible coins (in good condition) are to be found in DR itself. Looks like they have all left the country. Maybe a lack of local demand?

BTW on eBay you will often see those Santo Domingo 4 maravedis of Carlos-Juana (minted around 1535-1556), for good prices. Those are rather ugly, being hand-made, but they are reputed to be the first coins minted in the New World. The Santo Domingo mint started its operations around 1535, about the same time as Mexico.

Happy collecting

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The guy to see is

Lic. Miguel Estrella. He might still be at the Banco Central but he is the Main Man on Dominican Coins. Hehas authored at least two books on the coins and he knows where they can be obtained.

If I can find him, I'll post here or you can send me an email

HB
needs_a_shave.gif